3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Weight Loss Support

Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Hard to watch people regain

Old 04-08-2014, 12:33 PM   #106
Haven't quit yet!

S/C/G: 485/372.4/200

Height: 6'0

Cravings exist for a reason. For example: MY SIL is pregnant. Do you know what she's craved? Beef, ice cream, cheese, salmon and broccoli.

So: Fat, protein, calcium...

Before she got pregnant she lived on (and I'm not kidding), chicken breasts and ice tea.

Pregnancy is an extreme example, but usually our body is giving us a cue for something it needs. Modern consumption has messed up our readings of those cues.

2014 Reboot!
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #107

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
Cravings exist for a reason. For example: MY SIL is pregnant. Do you know what she's craved? Beef, ice cream, cheese, salmon and broccoli.

So: Fat, protein, calcium...

Before she got pregnant she lived on (and I'm not kidding), chicken breasts and ice tea.

Pregnancy is an extreme example, but usually our body is giving us a cue for something it needs. Modern consumption has messed up our readings of those cues.
So true. When I was pregnant I gave in to all my cravings, ate when I was hungry, yhr thought of eating when I wasn't hungry or past full was disturbing. I lost weight during pregnancy and ended up the lowest weight is been in my adult life the moment i gave birth. Plus i felt beautiful, entitled to eat, and took really good gentle care of myself and others did too. When a prego lady asks for fried chicken you give it to her without question and without judgement byhats IE in a nutshell, i experienced its benefits first hand and im going back there.

“If you try to lose weight by shaming, depriving and fearing yourself, you will end up shamed, deprived, and afraid.” Geneen Roth
Wannabeskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:39 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
So true. When I was pregnant I gave in to all my cravings, ate when I was hungry, yhr thought of eating when I wasn't hungry or past full was disturbing. I lost weight during pregnancy and ended up the lowest weight is been in my adult life the moment i gave birth. Plus i felt beautiful, entitled to eat, and took really good gentle care of myself and others did too. When a prego lady asks for fried chicken you give it to her without question and without judgement byhats IE in a nutshell, i experienced its benefits first hand and im going back there.
The world would be a better place if everyone treated themselves and others like they treat pregnant women.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:00 PM   #109

S/C/G: 163/134/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 50 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
It's not simplistic, I'm just pointing out that the apple analogy doesn't apply to anyone. I don't think anyone should judge their hunger based on the capacity to eat something they don't want to eat.
I know hunger doesn't mean just for food... we can have a hunger or need for love, acceptance, etc.
And I'm not talking about eating something we DON'T want to eat, I'm talking about eating something we like less (not hate - staying away from extremes here). In no way does this correlate with the sleeping on a cold sidewalk if we feel tired. More like choosing a comfortable bed instead of the Super-Duper King Size Massaging Heated bed (which is really something we may crave but don't really need for good health - mental and physical). But, hey, I'll stop here because I don't want you to feel I am disagreeing with you - we are on the same page generally. Good luck in your journey.

At goal or below since March 5, 2014
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #110

Height: 5'0"

When I was pregnant, at midnight, I would send hubby out for a mcds quarter-pounder value meal (with fries and sprite), supersized, plus a filet o' fish. And I'd eat the whole thing myself. So... not all pregnancy cravings are our bodies telling us what we need. Unless I needed a boatload of chemicals and preservatives, plus a burger made with meat from a million different cows.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #111
Haven't quit yet!

S/C/G: 485/372.4/200

Height: 6'0

no... but I'd bet that your body wanted sodium. Unless of course it was purely a cry for calories in any form. Those happen too.

There's a list somewhere that tells you what you're most likely lacking in based on your craving and what a healthier alternative is that will sate that need. I should see if I can find it.

2014 Reboot!

Last edited by Radiojane : 04-08-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #112
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Ok, this thread has gotten WAY off topic, but there are certain cravings I feel the body is crying for something it needs and certain cravings that the body is tricked into thinking it needs.

When I was pregnant the first time, from about 5 months on I needed watermelon every, single, day. I figured there was something to it, so I indulged.

When I get red meat cravings, I usually listen to them because it probably means my iron is low (though I eat TONS of green leafies)

When it screams for sodium - it's usually right before TTOM and while I would say I don't "need" more sodium, who says that's true? Maybe my body does need more during that time.

BUT... when it craves a donut, or oreos or the like, I know it's all about the body wanting quick energy - and I try to avoid that. And it usually begs for that quick energy when I'm overly tired/sleep deprived.

So, while I don't follow IE exactly, I do listen to some things within reason.

berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #113
Intuitive Eater

With my first pregnancy I was so sick the first five months I barely ate anything. But once that finally passed, I quite literally lived on fried eggs and spinach. Ate it at LEAST once a day, sometimes more. I craved the you-know-what out of those two foods. Take from that what you will.

- Rob Stevens, The Overfed Head

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
- Albert Einstein
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #114
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
no... but I'd bet that your body wanted sodium. Unless of course it was purely a cry for calories in any form. Those happen too.

There's a list somewhere that tells you what you're most likely lacking in based on your craving and what a healthier alternative is that will sate that need. I should see if I can find it.
this exactly!! i find that when i'm craving salty foods, that just eating salt will work just as well a few shakes of the salt shaker and i'm fine again...it's weird...i've also been known to just get a side order of fries when i go to the burger place with DH and eat half the fries but ALOT(!!) of salt

granted, i don't do this all the time and i've never had issues with cholesterol or whatever sodium affects....but i definitely believe in listening to what your body is needing

i also used to have that list of what you need when you crave things but i don't have it anymore
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.