Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/177/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Please tell me it's ok..

to take a break from working out. I did just start but everyday I'm having a very hard time finding the motivation to work out. The sad part is that I have the time to do it I just never feel motivated enough. So I cut my calories down to 1,200 so I don't have to exercise. Is this ok?

Maybe I'll try and do a walking cardio shape up tape a few days a week but committing to high intensity work outs 5 days a week is a tad overwhelming at the moment.
Rose426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #2  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Before I got a gym membership, I, like you, wasn't really ready to commit to exercise. I started using my roommate's Wii Fit whenever I felt like it, and then my friends got me to do this Biggest Loser competition and I started to work out every day. I wouldn't advise knocking out exercise completely, but just start small and then work your way to more intense workout sessions. Just going for a light walk every day is better than not doing anything! Staying active is key.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #3  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

It doesn't have to be one or the other! You can walk some days and do a higher intensity work out some days. The best exercise is the kind you will actually DO! Don't set these rules for yourself that you have to do 5 days of XYZ, just commit to doing SOMETHING most days, even if it's just a 20 minute walk. As you get more in shape reevaluate it!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #4  
Trying my best

S/C/G: 167.5/150/130

Height: 5'3

I have weeks where I work out every single day even if I don't want to I make myself do it and I feel better afterwards for sure but then there are weeks where I might only get in 3-4 workouts that whole week.

I did finally make myself a workout plan where I at least do 1-2 mile walk on the days I don't feel like working out and I do the walking at home while watching tv. I learned how to do it by watching "Walk away the pounds" videos. That could really save you if you want to move and it's not difficult because you are watching tv!
Tonyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

From a weight loss perspective, there are many people who lose weight without exercising. As long as you have a calorie deficit at the end of the day, you will lose weight.

With this being said, for a healthy body, the human body needs exercise. It is vital to our overall, long-term health. It helps build a healthy muscular system, skeletal system, good for the heart, lungs, joints, mental health, etc. But this exercise does not have to be 60 minutes of exhausting, sweat-inducing exercise. Walking even half an hour a day goes a long way to better overall health. Or find another physical activity you enjoy doing. If it's dancing around your house for 30 minutes, then dance around your house. You don't have to do a structured exercise program to get in some movement.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

High intensity exercise shouldn't be done 5 days a week unless you want to.

For health benefits 20 minutes 3x a week of moderate cardio is all you need.

For body composition (not becoming skinny fat) weight lifting is king. 2 times a week is adequate, 3x a week is perfect.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #7  
too big to fail

You don't have to but you should. Commit to doing a little more each week and start slow.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #8  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

You should do whatever works for you and whatever you think you can sustain. There will probably be times when you feel like it and when you won't, but as long as you keep a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. As others have said, you don't need to workout to lose weight. For me, it helps with the mental aspects and makes me feel on track so I'm less likely to eat off plan. Lately, I have cut down my cardio to just 20-30 minutes of moderate to high intensity and I do weights 2 or 3 times a week. This is something I can live with. I used to do 40-60 minutes of the cardio but it made me so tired that I think it did more harm than good. Do what makes your body feel best. By the way, I know you didn't ask this specifically, so I hope you don't mind me saying, but 1200 calories sounds like a little too little for your weight. If I were you, I'd cycle my calories between 1200-1600. Doing the higher amount on days you workout more. Just a thought. Congrats on your progress so far!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:57 PM   #9  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

Some people can push themselves to exercise and it works great for them.

I am not one of those people.

I do like exercise, but I go through phases where I just can't stand it. So I stop, or I go for walks or play an active game or dance more or something else. It doesn't have to be formal exercise. Maybe go for a walk with a friend, or stroll to the bookstore instead of driving.

As a rule, I don't count my exercise calories for anything. It's just to get fit. I don't factor it into my food at all.

But you will lose weight if you watch your food. You can probably eat more than 1200 and still lose, though.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #10  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

I've lost weight by just cutting loads of cals and working out and I have to say the difference is...that if I've quit or taken time off the weight comes back on A LOT faster if I was just dieting rather than working out. Plus, I really like the cut of my body from working out - my arms have definitition and my legs etc.

A lot of the time I literally force myself to work out but I keep reminders of why I do it - plus, I have a few friends who I consider "Skinny-fat" - they are technically thin, but if you put them in a bikini it's like yech, b/c they've never bothered to workout and have no definition so be careful of that.

One suggestion is to try to find a workout that's not really a burder whether that's walking [maybe try it with wrist & ankle weights], dance style dvd's, kickboxing, free weights, heavy weights, pvt. instruction, group classes - there are so many great ways to burn cals you should do some trial and error before you completly give it up.
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #11  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

Also, not all workouts have to be "high intensity" - I like to alternate b/w fun workouts [Jane Fonda, Richard Simmons] when I am literally forcing myself to work out and heavy-bag kickboxing when I'm in the mood to kick a little a$$. Again, don't mean to repeat but there are so many workout choices out there, I'd do a little investingating to see what fits if I were you.
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #12  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

High intensity cardio 5 days a week is a lot. How much do you walk in a normal day? You could just park the car a mile from work and walk to and from your car - that's at least 30 minutes of movement right there.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #13  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I do enjoy some forms of exercise, but there are times when I literally just wanna sit on my fat arse! I have a lazy-gene, yeah uh-huh, I said it... laziness is my genetical whooopsie! Sometimes I have to literally FORCE MYSELF to get up off'a my behind & get out there & just WALK. If nothing else... just WALK. If I can talk myself into just 10 or 15 minutes, then I find I'm usually willing to go another 15 minutes & before you know it, I've done 1/2 hour of good walking - and TA-DA! Done.

Also, there IS something to be said for the idea of parking farther away, taking the stairs instead of elevators, raking the yard, vacuuming the carpet, etc. YES - THIS IS MOVEMENT, and movement is exercise.

So if you JUST CAN'T commit to 5x a week, then about to every other day? How about 3x a week? How about Mon-Wed-Fri and take the weekends off to be a lazy chick? (that's mostly my thing! I love "weekends off" ... but during the summer, I LOVE TO SWIM, so hey, I get exercise without even trying! )

There are many, many, many different ways to get in some exercise. Explore, try new things, google is your friend! The important thing is to GET MOVING, and don't let that "lazy mantra" become your daily demon.

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 04-06-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #14  

I've lost all my weight so far without doing anything but walking. When my knee gets better, I'll be doing light strength training starting at 2 days a week. If you want, try doing it like 1 day a week. If you want to increase it to 2 days or something, try that. But for me, the most effective thing has been tackling my diet, and getting used to it, and then going for exercise. Doing both was too much for me and I ate back all my cals anyways lol. I am working on building more discipline with how I eat when I work out so that I don't overeat.
True or not, its easier for me to think "diet to get thinner, exercise to look better nekkid"
EDIT-Remember it will all be "ok" no matter what you are doing, its better than you were doing before (I'm guessing).

Last edited by pixelllate; 04-06-2012 at 11:27 AM.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote