Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #16  

Height: 5'0"

Yeah, my armpit fat is there when I'm naked, so it's not all about the bra fit. Some of it is just... yucky fat.

That said, if a proper bra can help, that would be awesome!! Maybe I need to make a trip to the lingerie store. Thanks for making me think about it!

One question though: I thought the standard was to add 4" to your measurement to get the band size. Isn't that right? Or do they do that because of all those adjustable hooks in the back?
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #17  

Height: 5'0"

runningfromfat: I just re-read your post about "sister sizes." 28F? My hubby would flip a lid. He'd probably run all over the place yelling "My wife has F cup boobies!" lol

But I do have a serious question: are UK sizes different than US? And where in the world am I going to find a 28F bra? I don't think I've ever heard of that size.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #18  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

I've always been scared to get fitted cause I think they're going to give me some god-awful hard as crap to find size and I won't ever be able to wear cute bras anymore. I know it's not as important for older women, but being 22 and still young, I want to feel sexy in my bras!
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #19  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsyborogoves View Post
I've always been scared to get fitted cause I think they're going to give me some god-awful hard as crap to find size and I won't ever be able to wear cute bras anymore. I know it's not as important for older women, but being 22 and still young, I want to feel sexy in my bras!
What makes you think it's "not as important for older women" ??

I'm 48, and I refuse to wear "an ugly bra". I refuse to wear an ugly anything!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Patrol View Post
What makes you think it's "not as important for older women" ??

I'm 48, and I refuse to wear "an ugly bra". I refuse to wear an ugly anything!
Probably cause I hear a lot of women say, "It's not about the looks, it's about the function!" or my mom (who is 53) says, "Who cares what your bra looks like? It's not like anyone's gonna see it anyway!" I take back my statement though; more power to you for wearing pretty bras!
Old 04-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #21  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Did I mention my boobs? Right now I need to remeasure myself, thanks to weight loss, but I estimate I'm going to be in the 34H-I range, in US sizes. They're not impossible to find, just buy online. And all my bras are colorful, lacy confections from companies like Empreinte, Ewa Michalak (Effuniak), Freya, Panache, etc. No grandma-bras here! Physical stores don't size right or contain my size, with the rare few like Intimacy being an exception, but you can do it quite well yourself and there's lots of solid tutorials out there for doing it.

Then hunt around online until you find some you like, order the bra and a few sister sizes or different styles, try them on and return those that don't fit. It works for me and my generous but hard-to-fit chest.

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 04-06-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #22  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I've been professionally fitted. I still have armpit fat.

And a 28 measurement does NOT equal a 28 band. If your ribcage measures 28" that usually translates to a 32 band size. Although sometimes you will get a slightly different fit when actually trying on. I'm 32 in most brands but occasionally 34 and in one brand 30. If you band lays straight across your back and does not ride up it's probably the right size. But you really need a professional fitter. If you live near Nordstroms they are very good

Dont go to Victoria's Secret to be professionally fitted They suck at it.

And there is no such thing as sister sizing...no matter how much VS tells you there is so they can sell you a bra. Sister sizing was a concept invented by bra sellers to get hard to fit women to buy their bras anyway. I've been as much as a 32G and VS keeps trying to tell me I can sister size that up to a 38D because they dont carry 32G. Might as well just wear a yoga tank with a shelf bra as a 38 band

(I dont think you are a 28F but if you are you have to go to a specialty store and be prepared to spend $70-120 per bra)

Last edited by ennay; 04-06-2012 at 01:17 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 206/165/140

Height: 5' 5.75''

Call me a weirdo but I miss my armpit fat a little. Since about a BMI of 25 I have concave armpits that aren't nearly as easy to shave.
Aunrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #24  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

My experience with professional fittings is that they know SQUAT. I go by what the online stores that sell the larger cup sizes say and they are SPOT ON.

And any time I've had armpit fat it was from an ill fitting bra.

Now, with all this weight gone, I do have some loose skin issues around my armpit, but that's to be expected with my bad skin and losing over a hundred pounds from my top weight.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #25  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

No matter how cute they look in the store, I don't think ill fitting bras look cute on me. I really need to order myself some new ones because the 34 bands are quickly becoming way too lose for me.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #26  
Back with a story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunrio View Post
Call me a weirdo but I miss my armpit fat a little. Since about a BMI of 25 I have concave armpits that aren't nearly as easy to shave.
We may be talking about different armpit fat - I am talking about the bulge of flesh/skin between the front of the armpit and the bra band, not the pad of tissue in the hollow of my underarm/shoulder. The squeezed-out-of-cup-and-out-from-under-armhole fat almost always means an ill fitting bra, I didn't have that even at 240 pounds so long as my cup was cut properly for my breast shape, and I am an apple shape when heavier and gain through my torso, so if anyone was going to have extra fat around the huge boobs and shoulders, it'd be me!

I'm not saying it isn't possible to have a little arm/breast pudge there and have a perfectly fitting bra, but I have never seen it!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #27  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Did I mention my boobs? Right now I need to remeasure myself, thanks to weight loss, but I estimate I'm going to be in the 34H-I range, in US sizes. They're not impossible to find, just buy online. And all my bras are colorful, lacy confections from companies like Empreinte, Ewa Michalak (Effuniak), Freya, Panache, etc. No grandma-bras here! Physical stores don't size right or contain my size, with the rare few like Intimacy being an exception, but you can do it quite well yourself and there's lots of solid tutorials out there for doing it.

Then hunt around online until you find some you like, order the bra and a few sister sizes or different styles, try them on and return those that don't fit. It works for me and my generous but hard-to-fit chest.
Aren't they expensive, though? That's another deal for me -- I only buy Lane Bryant bras right now cause they're the only place that has bras that fit me comfortably (Right now I'm in a 42D, but it's really too big now, band size AND cup size) and I have enough problems paying the 35 bucks for bras that I already do. I don't want to have to pay more =/
Old 04-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #28  
In training to be awesome

S/C/G: 270 / 188.4 / 170

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
And a 28 measurement does NOT equal a 28 band. If your ribcage measures 28" that usually translates to a 32 band size.
No, no, no! This is where I just learned that we've all been taught wrong. I measure at a 36 and was wearing a 40D, which I spent most of the day tugging back into place. After learning how to properly measure, I'm now in a 36G, which fits perfectly. All the armpit fat is gone, the back fat is (mostly) gone, and I haven't yet had to tug the band back into place. It simply does.not.move.

ETA: I meant to include runningfromfat's post about how to measure: http://braslessinbrasil.blogspot.com...-that-fit.html

Last edited by Blueberries; 04-06-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Blueberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #29  
Back with a story

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsyborogoves View Post
Aren't they expensive, though? That's another deal for me -- I only buy Lane Bryant bras right now cause they're the only place that has bras that fit me comfortably (Right now I'm in a 42D, but it's really too big now, band size AND cup size) and I have enough problems paying the 35 bucks for bras that I already do. I don't want to have to pay more =/
Well, it depends on the brand. Some of the better bras on the market for the larger sizes are between $30-45, though I have paid upward of $150 for certain models that is abnormal and they were a luxury brand.

If affordability is your concern, Curvy Kate or Freya are good starting points, and the very best value for the fit (in my opinion) is the Ewa Michalak (Effuniak) bras, though they ship internationally the prices are a STEAL for the incredible construction and durability. They're also gorgeous.

Check out these links and follow the sizing tips to a T:
http://www.lindasonline.com/shop-by-bra-size.html
http://www.ewa-michalak.pl/eng_m_Bras-119.html
http://www.curvykate.com/curvykate-l...s-ss2012-2.php

Make sure you do the currency exchange to figure out how much the polish ones are - when I bought mine they were $35-ish a piece in USD.

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 04-06-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #30  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberries View Post
No, no, no! This is where I just learned that we've all been taught wrong. I measure at a 36 and was wearing a 40D, which I spent most of the day tugging back into place. After learning how to properly measure, I'm now in a 36G, which fits perfectly. All the armpit fat is gone, the back fat is (mostly) gone, and I haven't yet had to tug the band back into place. It simply does.not.move.

ETA: I meant to include runningfromfat's post about how to measure: http://braslessinbrasil.blogspot.com...-that-fit.html
Yeah...if I could even find a 28 band I would never even be able to close it. I tend to add a little less than they say. But no way could I fit a 28 inch band. My band does. not. move. at a 32. I can feel it restricting my breath as it is.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote