Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 226/211/130

Height: 5'6''

Unhappy Plateaued and I don't know what to do! So frustrated!

Hey guys, I'm new here. I've never posted before, but I really could use some advice! I have weighed the same for about two weeks now, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I do zumba 4 times a week for an hour, and I eat around 1300-1500 calories a day. I have read that I need to vary my workouts, so I plan on doing that, even though I'm a Zumba addict! I still have struggles with sugar, I have a major sweet tooth that I do battle with every single day. I also have a problem with "boredom snacking," eating when I'm not hungry. Lately, I have been guilty of this, but I still remain at my calorie limit. Maybe that's why I haven't been able to lose! Does anyone have advice on how to overcome a plateau, and how to overcome a major sweet tooth?
Rockwela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

You don't need to vary your workout. You might want to consider less sugar but that won't stop fat loss and snacking does not affect fat loss.

Fat loss or fat gain is an equation of energy. Energy is measured in calories.

The problem is we do not have a way to easily measure body fat and so we use the scale. The scale does not measure body fat it measures weight.

Assuming you're being honest with your post you have been losing fat every day for the last two weeks but your weight has not changed due to water retention.

Fat loss is not the same thing as weight loss.

I would advise you to take pictures and measurements every two weeks. If you want continue weighing yourself but recognize the scale is not an accurate measure of progress.

Take away - don't confuse weight loss and fat loss. Two weeks is not a long time to retain water. You're likely due for a "woosh" soon.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #3  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

You probably aren't doing anything wrong. Two weeks without seeing any loss is pretty normal for most people.

The reason is that your total weight depends upon more factors than just how much fat you have. The bulk of food and water in your digestive tract affects your total weight. So does the amount of fluid you are retaining, which can be up to 4-5 pounds and depends upon a host of factors both within and not within your control - changes in exercise routine, eating sodium, being dehydrated, hormones, the weather - all of these can affect your fluid retention and there isn't a darn thing you can do about most of it.

The result is that even if you have lost a pound or two of fat these past two weeks - which is likely, if you really have been sticking within your calorie limits - those losses could very easily be masked by a fluid-weight fluctuation that makes you think you haven't lost anything.

It happens all the time. In fact many of us - myself included - rarely show a loss two weeks in a row. My fluid fluctuations are such that I really only have one week a month where I see appreciable losses, and the rest of the time I sort of bounce around. It's just how it is. Wait it out, trust your plan, and the weight will come off in time. Just remind yourself that what matters most is not whether you weigh less than you did last week, but whether you weigh less than you did a month or two ago. If you go a month or two without appreciable loss while really sticking to your plan, then it's time to consider what you might you might need to change. Not after just two weeks though.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #4  
I'm doing this!

S/C/G: 220/ ticker /140

Height: 5'3"

I've been there. I have successfully lost 10 pounds a month since the beginning of my journey. I really don't go over my calories too much, especially with the exercising I do. But, I do know that I have eaten some of the wrong things (like you). I have had some sugar and some crackers. and for me, this has definitely hindered my weight loss for the month of June. I really don't believe it is a plateau, but the fact that I'm eating the wrong things. that's just me. But, even though I have barely lost this month, I definitely and surprisingly lost many inches. So, do like John says and take your measurements. Good luck!
alitorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 327/239.6/199

Height: 5'5"

I'm in the same position. Absolutely stuck at the same weight. Not even a drop after TOM. Does anyone know if the extreme heat makes you retain more water. I've upped the water I'm drinking because it is so hot but the scale is not moving. I did measure and I have lost more from my waist and hips so I'm not to worried.
Unicorn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alitorry View Post
I have had some sugar and some crackers. and for me, this has definitely hindered my weight loss for the month of June.
Definately? That is a strong word. If you had not had some sugar and crackers and your weight loss was still hindered for the month of June what would you think it was?

Have you considered that since you weigh less your BMR has gone down? Have you considered that since you've been dieting for a while your BMR has been depressed? Have you considered that as a lighter person every step you take you burn fewer calories?

There are easily another 10+ factors to consider but ... you think it is crackers and sugar?

I'm not saying you're wrong. You might be right.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 226/211/130

Height: 5'6''

Thank you everyone for your advice, I'm trying not to get discouraged! I definitely agree that I need to drink more water, so I am working on that! As far as "cheats" go, I'm not going to beat myself up over it, but I am going to try hard to limit them :]
Rockwela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #8  
I'm doing this!

S/C/G: 220/ ticker /140

Height: 5'3"

John,

Oh, I know it wasn't JUST the crackers and sugar. It was a few extra cheat days for me. I guess what I'm saying is that when I eat the crackers and sugar, it was a vicious cycle which had me craving more salty and sugary things.
and I have heard the whole 'weighing less, bmr goes down' thing, but what a drastic change from one month to another. does it change that fast? because for me basically just maintaining my weight for the month of june, while working out 2 hours a day, 6 days a week didn't make sense to me. so, I chalked it up to crackers and sugar
BTW, your comments and advice are always full of insight and so much knowledge and I really appreciate reading your posts!
thanks!
alitorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I had a 2 week plateau (which isn't really a plateau) and went to see a nutritionist. She recommended cutting out my serving of crackers that I was having once or twice a day. Her reasoning was that they are not as nutritious as other carbs (brown rice, quinoa, etc) and I should eat those instead. So I did. She also recommended I up my protein have a ~140 calorie protein shake after a big workout.

It did bust the plateau, which may or may not be because of the crackers but I could see her point about nutrition.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote