Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #31  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
A female that WANTS to build muscle? Cool!

Here is a blog you'll probably like. They have a Facebook group too but I can't join ... only women can.

http://www.fiercefitfearless.blogspot.com/
Give us a little credit John!!!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 172/Ticker/122

Height: 5'4"

So at the end of the day, weight training is still causing fat loss right? And whether I see it on the scale or not, I should see it in measurements?
sparklegirl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:16 AM   #33  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltaway View Post
This thread has utterly confused me. So, if I can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, then I shouldn't be strength training at all if I want to lose fat? But then in another comment it says, gaining muscle helps you burn fat. Which one then is it??
If you're not strength training while dieting/losing fat, you're going to lose muscle, and that is a very, very bad thing to do. You should always strength train, whether you're losing, maintaining, gaining, whatever.

Just strength train.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #34  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
It took me 2 years to lose the first 90 lbs. There were weeks I maintained, weeks I gained, weeks I lost a lot. So I can't really say how it averaged out. It's been a slow process, and I think it works better that way (for me).

I maintained for the whole last year eating at a surplus, for most of it, and weight training.

I'm back (as of Feb 1) to keeping track of calories and trying to cut the last bit of fat . I've lost 6 lbs since I got back on the wagon, so to speak.

Just keep at it, you'll reach your goals!
Thank you so much! Glad to hear about your progress.
Went to the gym this morning...tried to do some planks and bicycle rows. WOAH. They look really simple, in fact I know some people make fun of those ("inshape mag type exercises). even with my mini weights, I had a hard time-all those muscles I've never worked and it involved coordination lol. I tried my best though, and I am going again this Friday and hopefully I will get better.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #35  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelllate View Post
Thank you so much! Glad to hear about your progress.
Went to the gym this morning...tried to do some planks and bicycle rows. WOAH. They look really simple, in fact I know some people make fun of those ("inshape mag type exercises). even with my mini weights, I had a hard time-all those muscles I've never worked and it involved coordination lol. I tried my best though, and I am going again this Friday and hopefully I will get better.
You'll get there! Planks are serious business! My abs are killing me from the sets I did on Saturday! The good news is, that as you build those muscles it'll help your coordination and balance and it'll be easier to lift more . I was a mess when I first started, and now the motions are pretty automatic. It can feel a bit awkward at first, though. Keep at it!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:19 AM   #36  
banned

Angry Weight traIning and weight loss

While weight training does increase metabolism the increase is very minor. For example there have been myths that each pound of muscle built can increase resting calories burned by 50 per day. Now considering a person who weighs about 150 lbs and is about 30 percent body fat which is high would have about give , or take 75 lbs of muscle. The average person is about 40 to 50 percent. Lower for women more for men. So at 75 lbs of muscle sitting on your butt you would burn off 3750 calories and that would be with out moving and assuming nothing else in the body burns calories, which is not true. So this is not the case. 10 calories or so a day extra per pound is more realistic. Now this isn't a lot, but it still is extra calories. But to build muscle in order to lose weight is not the most efficient way. The weights are important
For defining the body, shaping it, making it stronger, etc. and if you just have a few pounds to lose this may get you to the body you're looking for quicker, but if you have lots of weight to lose the weight training alone will not do it. It's a good supplement, but not the answer in of itself.
Vtrainers.com
VTrainers is offline   Reply With Quote