Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-24-2012, 05:28 AM   #1  

Default In need of advice!

Hey guys, glad to be a part of this board! I am 28 years old and I have lost 70lbs one and a half years ago. I surpassed my goal weight, something I didn't think was possible, and felt fit and beautiful.

Then, some bad things happened to me and my family, and I stopped eating. That turned into restricted eating, cause I was losing weight so quickly (still running at that time) and I loved seeing the number getting lower and lower every time I stepped on the scale. I became addicted to calories and the scale. Some days I would only allow myself 500 calories. Then that number became too high for me and I only ate 300. I had a BMI of a scary 19. Then, about 3 months later, the binging started. I couldn't stop eating. Especially high calorie foods I didn't eat for the past 2 years like bread, cookies, chocolate, cereal, anything high in sugar and fat. I would fast for a couple of days but the cravings for sweets were stronger. I gained weight so fast (stopped running and working out cause my body was too swollen to move) that in only 6 months I gained 29 pounds back. At least I wasn't skin and bones anymore... Looking at pictures from my "skinny" days frightens me. To think that I was actually finding myself attractive like that... I'd rather look fit and healthy now and would do anything to look like the person again that I was before the starving and binging.

I am happy to say, that now, since the beginning of the year, my urges to binge and restrict have gone completely, I love working out again, and eat very healthy foods. I don't crave sweet and sugary foods at all anymore.

I have been running 5 days a week again, 6-7 miles each time. I lift weights every day, 20-30min. I love being so fit and active and I love to feel my body move. It makes me feel alive. I run with a smile on my face, greeting everyone I see along the way. I eat healthy, breakfast is usually oatmeal with dried fruits, agave nectar for sweetness and skim milk. Lunch is a fruit salad with different kinds of fruit each day. Snacks are carrots and high protein yogurt. And then for dinner I like to eat veggies with quinoa or also love to make casseroles, salads, ... I don't eat a lot of meat or fish (maybe twice a week) but I make sure I eat enough protein. My calorie intake is an average of 1800 calories a day, (took me a while to get to this, it was so scary at first but I am so very proud of myself that I eat this many now) and I burn about 900 calories from working out.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, cause I have been living healthy (at least its my idea of healthy?) like this for the past months and my weight has stayed more or less the same. Am I eating too much, too little? I do see small changes like my pants fitting better, but I have a lot of or cellulite on my legs and arms that I didn't have before I had my eating disorder. Will that go away eventually? Spring's just around the corner and I feel like hiding my arms and legs.. I want to feel confident wearing sexy skirts and tops again.

I do love myself, don't get me wrong. My life at the moment couldn't be any better, in fact. I just want to hug and hold the "old me" and beg her for forgiveness. What I did to this poor body is mean and cruel. If only I could undo all the damages...I am glad I stopped it before it got way too much out of hand.

Any input at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
Chananthiyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:35 AM   #2  

Congratulations for overcoming your eating disorder! I don't have an answer to your question, but the people on this forum are so helpful and have varied experiences, so I'm sure you'll get some feedback. I did want to pass on that there's a forum called Calorie Count (just Google Calorie Count forum), and for some reason, many people who post on there have had EDs. You might try asking your question there as well. (BTW, I hope that I'm not breaking some 3FC rule by suggesting another site as well, but I'm just trying to help the OP).
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote