Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/134/120

Height: 5'2"

Default It's time to say goodbye to sugar

I don't know if sugar addiction truly is a real thing, but I sure am addicted to sugar! I've known that I've had a sugar "problem" for a looong time, but I always chalked it up to loving sweets. Really, who doesn't love sugar just a little? And sure, I've always loved it more than just a little, but that was never bad. I was just an extreme sugar lover.

Recently I admitted that sugar was the real problem. Sure, I love to snack and I'm an emotional eater, but my real issue is my inability to control how much sugary food I eat. Once I start I can't stop. A few months ago I was doing really well. I'd lost 7 more pounds, had been eating healthy foods, and exercising very regularly. Then I went to the movies and decided I could treat myself to some Raisinettes. Nope. Thus my downward spiral began. It was a complete trigger. I couldn't stop eating candies and desserts after that. It's been months and I haven't stopped. I've gained those 7 pounds back, and probably a few more since I last weighed myself, but I'm scared to check again My belt is a bit tighter. I stopped buying sweet foods (aside from fruit) to try to work around the sugar addiction and now I've found myself taking bits of food from my roommates. That's just unacceptable.

With this post, I say no more. No more sugary foods. No more stealing my roommates' food. As much as it pains me, sugar needs to be cut out for good.
Zoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #2  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I ditched sugar for all but the rarest occasions and I am so glad I did. Wheat, too. Those foods not only kicked my cravings into high gear but they made me sick - inflammation, irritability, you name it. Good for you, kick it hard and stick with it!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #3  
too big to fail

Just take it one day at a time. When you have a craving, eat a piece of fruit. It's got enough sugar to help squelch the urge in addition to fiber, vitamins, and minerals. You can do it!
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 155/134/120

Height: 5'2"

Thank you both for your support! I won't lie, I woke up this morning and had a spoonful of frosting - it's so hard knowing that it's there and soon won't be! But I'm off to the gym now. No more sugar!
Zoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #5  

Height: 5'0"

I've never been much of a sugar craver, except maybe a coke when I'm hungover. But I recently ditched sugar and wheat, and I feel so much better because of it!
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #6  
The Future is Bright!

Good luck! You can do it!

You get results fast when you cut out sugar - cravings decrease within the first few weeks, and tend to be gone completely in a number of months, but for some reason cheating with this particular substance can be devastating and set you back far more than cheating with additional calories would.

I haven't been able to reintroduce sugar or wheat to my diet yet and I'll probably never be able to, but if that's the price for a sexy, healthy body then it's one I am willing to pay.
Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/283/190

Height: 5'8"

Sugar can be a dangerous thing. When I am stressed or upset, I usually start to crave sugar. In the past I'd buy a bag a candy and basically eat the whole thing.

Now I always make sure I have fiber bars or 100 calories snacks that are sweet. Also, I tend to keep skinny cow ice creams around. All these have been life savers for me. Plenty of people will recommend to cut out sugar completely but that would never work for me. If I want to keep to my diet, I feel I need to have something sweet. Luckily, now I can reach for something that won't make me feel worse about myself in the long run.

Good for you for not giving up! It's hard but it's possible! Find what works for you, and stick with it.
Luv2Sing777 is offline   Reply With Quote