Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/225/160

Height: 5'10.5

Default Who else gained after moving out or moving in with their significant others?

I've lived with my boyfriend for 6 months now, and I gained like 10 pounds in the first 4 months . I totally developed the rational "If he's eating it, I can too"

Sooo happy I'm back to deciding what to eat now. Just wondering if anyone else experienced the same.
summerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Before I moved in with my boyfriend I thought okay I'll lose weight because he will help me and I can cook healthy. Boy was I wrong! I have gotten to the heaviest I've ever been living with him (guessing around 220)! It turned into well he's not here right now so he wont know I ate it and then on the weekends he cooks so it's never healthy! Now I'm done with it all. I didn't tell him I wanted to lose weight I just started doing it! And now I've caught him working out too!
KatieAlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 229/174/150

Height: 5'9"

Omg! I have! I lost almost 50 lbs (30 during our relationship) and in the first 6months of us living together I gained 25 of it back. It is so frustrating. Now I am aware though and back on the wagon. It is SO much tougher now though. Wants to drink wine all the time and staring at he unhealthy food. Ugh! Anybody got any good tips?
beachlover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #4  
Betsey

S/C/G: 232.2/185.5/160

Height: 5'10

When me and my boyfriend first moved in together, I was at my lowest weight since Middle School and I felt amazing! We've been together for almost 2 years and we have both put on the weight.

However, now that I'm working out and eating better, he is seeing some of my results and now watching what he eats as well! Its wonderful because I have someone I can lean on and tell me no when I really want that bag of chips!
bt2155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #5  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

My husband is a freak of nature - doesn't over-eat, eats healthy foods, works out 6 days a week, runs...etc. We've been together for 8 years...in that time I have gained and lost more times than I can count - it is SO annoying.

We moved in together right after our wedding and I had been so tired after planning & dieting for months, I took some time off - which turned into 8 months and about 30 lbs...last June was finally a wake up call. I have to say it's easier b/c he is so healthy - a lot of the time, I'll work out b/c I know he is at the gym or I'll cook healthy meals b/c I know he'll appreciate it. It's nice feeling like we're working as a team. When I was heavier, I remember feeling SO ashamed b/c I didn't take care of myself AT ALL - he never ever said anything but it was obvious that we had totally different lifestyles...I even ate more than him...I didn't totally start losing weight for him, but I like knowing that I'm working to be healthy too.
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #6  
Sarah

S/C/G: 172/ticker/125

Height: 5´4.5

My problem is I cook, and when the hubby and I first moved in together I was a reasonable 145. It was hard to stay there but I exercised and ate right, then sh@t went downhill. I finally had someone to cook for everynight that loved the down home cooking comfort meals I made (chicken and dumplins, biscuits and gravy, lasagna and the list goes on). I never cooked healthy, only stick to your ribs stuff. I ballooned. Last year I lost 30ish pounds and got back to the 150´s. Then in the fall I did 2 rounds of IVF and gained it all back. I am the yo-yo girl and I hate it.
lovemydoggiesx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #7  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

yes, it was a huge lifestyle change for me. I used to spend lots of time going out with friends dancing and going to the beach and he doesn't care for those things so we spent lots of time at home where I cooked and watched tv.

We both workout and eat well now. I started to be really serious about my health and weight and he became more health conscious too after I'd done it a while. He even portions his food and takes his lunch to work instead of eating out every day. Of course, he slimmed up faster and lost his excess weight in few weeks and I am happy for him...and a little jealous...
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 225/225/160

Height: 5'10.5

Yeah, it must go both ways - my boyfriend has gained 10 pounds since we moved in together too, but he's not overweight so it's not a big deal. He used to make burgers, suggest we order pizza.. and for some reason, I could never turn down his offer? Like I felt I'd hurt his feelings or "miss out" on something...
summerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #9  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I met my beau 2 months after hitting my initial goal of losing 100 lbs. I then revised my goal for 20 more lbs, but instead over the last 18 months that we've been together I fight to keep my gain at only 5 lbs. I'm pretty good at limiting my portions, but we eat "real" meals for dinner when I used to just used to rely on a cup of cereal with 1/2 c. of skim milk for my dinner as single girl.

And then there's the evening snack of nuts or ice cream which I don't always resist....
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 238/197/150

Height: 5'4"

My fiance is a professional cook.. so I definitely gained weight when we moved in together. I gained roughly 20 lbs the first year we were together.. ugh! Now I just ask him too cook healthily when he cooks, and when he's at work I usually just eat a salad or some cereal for supper (but before I was trying to lose weight I would eat fast food because it was easy. pssh.)
Huzzahforska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:01 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/182/152

Height: 175

Yes!!!

My boyfriend and I have lived together for only 4 or 5 months and in that time I've gained about 20lbs.

We lead such busy lives and would both end up getting home late most nights. To save me from cooking after a long day he would end up "surprising" me with takeaway 3-4 nights per week. Wish I could say the only reason I ate it was because it'd be rude not to but I had no self control when it came to delicious fried or greasy food!

As I was noticing the weight gain I'd try to eat healthy but, bless him, trying to be supportive he'd say I was perfect the way I was and he loved my curves etc etc. So I'd stop feeling bad about myself and just kept eating! And on the days that I did feel bad he'd bring home a bar of chocolate or lollies to cheer me up.

My fault entirely because I chose to eat like that though, but ugh, it makes it hard. On the upside, 8lbs down so far in 3 weeks.
tugelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Yep....

My gf and I were in a long distance relationship for over a year, and we'd have extended visits (about a week at a time) every 6 weeks or so. During that week I would just go hog wild. I gained about 20 pounds during that time period. Then we moved in together and I gained another 20 in about the same time frame. Actually, the way I was eating, it's kind of surprising that it wasn't more. The only reason for that is that I'd be pretty restrictive at certain times, but not enough to offset the way I'd been eating.

Most of this is attributed to laziness (not feeling like cooking) and getting takeout. when I lived alone I'd just eat leftovers forever. Or cereal. Or whatever. Sometimes I'd get takeout, but for some reason it didn't appeal to me as much when I was alone.

Last edited by djs06; 03-13-2012 at 11:09 AM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/185/135

Height: 5'3"

Yep yep.

I am just recently married, but a couple years ago I gained a few bad eating habits from being around my husband (then boyfriend). Guys can process more calories. Especially my husband who is 6' 2" and has a large build. If he was eating pizza or mountain dew or cookies he would always offer me some.

It was difficult to refuse because he would play the "oh don't worry about how you look, your fine" line. But that extra slice of pizza, or couple cookies add up, and I have had difficulty in beating the boyfriend weight gain. :\
IlaGirl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #14  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Heh, you have no idea.

I probably gained 20 or so pounds while happily dating my ex, as he was my first relationship and made it clear my weight didn't matter. I was already around 250 pounds at the time, and he wasn't far from that himself, I'm sure. I was high on feeling attractive for the very first time, on feeling wanted, and we enjoyed going out to eat a lot together. And when he got an out-of-state job offer, I decided to move in with him.

Big mistake.

He didn't like my cooking and insisted on ordering in, fast food, or carry-out. We fought constantly, especially about money and what we'd eat. It wasn't enough for him to eat anything he wanted on a whim, he expected me to support him by eating it along with him. I eventually stopped fighting and would just cave since it was easier. And before I knew it, I was 360 pounds.

He was angry when I decided I'd had enough and started prepping my own healthy meals. I began to drop some weight, and I think a lot of his insecurities came out with that. He most certainly didn't like the idea of any other men looking at me for example.

Things came to a head one night when he insisted on wanting a meal from Taco John's. I'd had a meal with him there once before, but have a seafood allergy and didn't realize they deep-fried everything in the same vat of oil. I was sick for a week and reminded him of that, but he insisted that it was all in my head and that if I didn't eat with him it meant I didn't love him . . . um, serious, serious issues there. If it hadn't been for my low self-esteem, I'd have left him long before.

Anyway, I met some guy online, and this time the out-of-state move was worth it. Have been happily married for over a year, and am finally given support for trying to eat better and take care of myself properly, no pressure either way. I've lost 20 pounds since we moved in together . . . I'd love to be able to say 40, but I gained 20 of it back. Working on that again as we speak.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #15  

Height: 5'2"

definitely. i was at my heaviest ever when i was with my ex-boyfriend (165).

now, this is probably because he was a total alcoholic and i would often join him in mixing cocktails at home and demolishing a bottle of wine each at dinner. we would go out to eat and have 3-4 courses each. and then after dinner drinks, of course. on top of that, he thinks of himself as a "foodie", combine that with his down home tennessee-love for fried anything and BAM-- 20-25 lbs came knocking at my door.

sirenity looove your ticker! lol

Last edited by valalltogether; 03-13-2012 at 11:21 PM.
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote