Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 172/Ticker/122

Height: 5'4"

Exclamation Stressed out by the path ahead

Hey ladies,

So I'm in sort of a mental dilemma. I just finalized my vacation plans for the summer today and you'd think that would be more of a motivation to lose weight right?
Instead, it's just making me more stressed. I was trying to figure out why and I realized, as long as I stay on the diet/exercise path, I am setting up expectations to keep at it. Its almost like I would feel relief if I quit because then there wouldn't be the stress of expectations or the stress of potential failure anymore.

I don't mean expectations like I need to weigh a certain amount by a certain date - I have about 20 pounds to go and I want to try losing that by June but I'm not setting hard deadlines.
It's more the pressure of staying on track that's stressing me out. How am I going to eat the right amount of calories everyday for the next 3 months? How am I going to make sure I exercise everyday? The thought of it all just weighs me down.

I'm sorry for the word vomit but help me get out of this funk?
sparklegirl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #2  
IF for Life

S/C/G: 198/183/147

Height: 5'8"

You don't do it for three months at a time. You do it one day at a time, with a long term commitment. You wake up every morning committed to the path you want to be on and the process you have set forth.

There will be days that are more difficult than others. Commitment means you get up each and every day and move forward, regardless of the setbacks. You will have many successes too, and these will help you be encouraged.

Before you know it you will be three months, one year, whatever down the road.

At that time, you will be happy that you stayed committed, because that time is going to pass whether you're doing something healthy for yourself or not.

One thing you've learned, is that this process begins in the head. That is a great revelation.

You can do it!
Italiannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #3  
Sarah

S/C/G: 172/ticker/125

Height: 5´4.5

Hon, I think we all have these days. I am similar in stats and goals to you, and I can tell you I have been there. My goal is to get there by mid-june as well (hubby comes home from deployment). Try not to stress yourself and just take one day at a time. You are changing your life, remember that!

Good luck, and we are all here to support you!
lovemydoggiesx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #4  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Just echoing what others are saying - one single day at a time. And you will be whatever size you will be by the time summer gets here. It can only be better than where you are today if you keep going, right?
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Do you brush your teeth daily? Do you shower or bathe daily?

How on earth do you manage to do that? And for 3 months straight even?

It's the same thing, hon. You take care of your health needs. Don't overthink it, don't seek perfection. Just do it. If you stayed up late and forgot to brush teeth once it isn't the end of the world. If you had a late night at work and missed one workout it isn't the end of the world. Went to a party and ate a wee bit too much one day? It's not the end of the world.

Just get back to it the next day. We can only live one day at a time.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-06-2012 at 05:13 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklegirl07 View Post
Hey ladies,
How am I going to eat the right amount of calories everyday for the next 3 months? How am I going to make sure I exercise everyday?
Perhaps you can reframe it as "being extremely good to my body" for the next 3 months... and beyond. Find the intersection between healthy and delicious, and start from there.

Freelance

Last edited by freelancemomma; 03-06-2012 at 07:41 PM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #7  

Oh, I totally understand how you're feeling. Just try and make it part of your daily routine, stop thinking about it as something you need to do for the next 3 months, but rather a long term commitment to eat healthy and exercise. I don't imagine that once you reach your goal you'll just start stuffing on junk food. You'll continue with your healthy habits even after your vacation, so there's really no pressure. You shouldn't view this as a burden, it's something you will benefit from both physically and mentally (your self esteem will certainly get a boost when you try on that bikini in summer), so just maintain a positive attitude and don't focus so much on your goal, but rather on the journey.
Natasha22 is offline   Reply With Quote