Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #1  
It's Kassie Baby!

S/C/G: 250/206/150

Height: 5'4"

Default How often should you weigh yourself and how can you consistently lose weight?

I weigh myself about ever 2 weeks, but should I weigh myself more or less or is this good? And how can I consistently lose weight? I don't think I'm nearing a plateau right now
kassiebby1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #2  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

Depends. Can you handle the fluctuations that come with daily weighing? Or does being up .2 pounds bother you to the point that you feel down about it all day? Weigh yourself as often as you want too I used to weigh every few days to a week, but now I love daily weighing because I can almost predict where I'll be at that morning, based on previous patterns =D

You will find yourself at plateau's the further along you get. I haven't met a person on here who consistently lost weight without stalling at one point or another. When that happens just force yourself to keep on track and you will break through it
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

It's an individual thing, though the National Weight Control Registry lists frequent weigh-ins as a characteristic of long-term maintainers. I've settled on twice a week, Wednesday and Sunday mornings -- frequent enough to keep me from going off track, but not so frequent as to drive me crazy.

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 257/257/157

Height: 5'7"

I weigh myself once a week, mainly because I'm one of those people who gets down about fluctuations (even though I know it's normal!). I weigh in on Saturdays, but sometimes I sneak a peek during the week. Once I reach goal and start maintaining, I plan on weighing myself at least twice a week to stay accountable.
PinkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #5  
Undead Diva

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 5'4.5"

I weigh myself everyday and look at trends. You could think you are on a plateau if you weigh once a week. Trends show you a much better story. For instance, almost every monday this month I was 154.5. But over the course of the week I would drop down and see new lows. Of course, the Monday weight will eventually drop but if I didn't weigh everyday I would think I haven't lost a pound when in reality, I hit 151. I also like to weigh everyday because I can see how certain foods or activities affect my weigh ins.
MadameZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

I dont think there's one specific answer to losing weight consistently every week (or 2 weeks). Our bodies have minds of their own (lol) and depending on the weather, what we eat, how much we sweat, if we drank water or not....the losses will vary or even be stagnant.

I've started weighing every morning, but like baker mentioned, I can pretty much predict if I've lost, gained or maintained. Not to mention, my night time weight is always 2 lbs heavier than my morning weight.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #7  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I weigh daily, and like other daily weighers I can usually predict what I'll see on the scale.

For me it was about having the data more than anything else. I kept track of my daily weigh-ins and made a graph in excel. My goal post has my graph and you can see that while from day to day my weight was all over the place, it went in a general downward trend.

If I step on the scale and see a jump up of two pounds it's usually not unexpected, but at this point I know my body well enough.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

I weigh daily. I have tried weekly and every other week, but I build myself up too much to what I think the scale will say at the end of the week or after two weeks and when it wasn't what I thought it would be, it would trash my mood and motivation. I am okay with a small fluctuations from day to day so it's just a better method for me. It is different for everyone.

As for consistently losing weight, the main key is consistently staying on plan, day in a day out. If you are on plan every day and the scale doesn't seem to be budging, tweak your plan, measure everything, and journal/track your food. Look for patterns of what might be causing the stall. But again, you can't stray from your plan. If I have one bad day, I spend the next week or two trying to correct that one day. It's not a stall, it's a making up for poor choices that one day.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #9  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I like weighing myself daily for two reasons 1) I log all my food with calories and carbs each day with my weight that morning, I can look back in my journal and see what causes certain gains and 2) I wouldn't want to miss seeing a new low weight and I'm okay with seeing it fluctuate up.

I don't think there is a way to prevent plateaus. Just remember when you hit one that's not an excuse to go off plan. Keep at it and you will see a drop in weight eventually.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote