Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #1  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

Default Omg my co-workers think I'm pregnant and hiding it from them.

Okay major weight loss motivation... has this ever happened to anyone?

Working/school/newlywedness caused me to gain 30 lbs in a very short amount of time. I gain in the face and hips/stomach. I wear scrubs every day, which if you haven't worn scrubs has ZERO elasticity in the fabric, so my scrub top is constantly folding up over my lower belly pooch when I sit and my pants are TIGHT. (They are expensive embroided scrubs that I only need 5 more months) Everyone has been speculating that I'm pregnant, which I easily found out about given how many times people have brought it up in the last week after returning to the department (was gone ~4 months) and how many times people have asked me "oh you feel ill? are you pregnant?", "oh you're eating that, are you pregnant or something?", "oh you fell on the ice, are you okay, you aren't pregnant are you?", and the way everyone looks at me with silence when I get asked those questions.

What hurts the most is I'm 21 and have had PCOS, now have amenorrhea and a pre-cancerous condition of my uterus that has required surgeries and hormone therapy, am facing a hysterectomy and probably won't have kids. I guess this is as close to the pregnant glory that I get.

Last edited by JollyGreenSteen19; 02-16-2012 at 09:43 PM.
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

oh wow.... that really sucks - from so many points. I am always amazed at how insensitive people can be. Ya know - there is no reason for people to comment about you eating something means you are pregnant.
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #3  
Pink Leopard Power

No kidding. I have a co-worker who, no matter if I eat chocolate cake or an apple just takes a long judging glance at whatever I'm eating. I can just see the judgement speech bubbles above her head. Drives me NUTS!!!!!!
Old 02-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #4  
Ted's Pants!

S/C/G: 223/223/150

Height: 5'5"

I started gaining weight when I moved in with my husband and we were married a short while later because he was joining the military....at work everyone thought I only got married because I was pregnant. Even after I told them I wasn't the rumors kept spreading. It was awful. I ended up quitting a short time later.

People can be seriously rude.
BananaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 238/197/150

Height: 5'4"

I got asked the same thing recently. I've lost some weight and still got asked if I was preggo. Ugh. It really made me not feel great about my progress so far.

I'm sorry about your situation

Last edited by Huzzahforska; 02-16-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Huzzahforska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 147/147/135 HW - 190

Height: 5'6"

That's awful! So sorry you're going through that, people can be so unkind. I carry all my weight in my belly and get asked the question by strangers and it's hurtful I can't imagine dealing with it at work. Hugs
LisaTcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #7  
Pink Leopard Power

That really sucks. I'm sorry it has happened to other people. I would never dream of asking someone if they were pregnant, even if they were like OBVIOUSLY pregnant. It's a personal topic and I'd wait for them to bring it up, really it's none of my business. I figure, I'll know in less than 9 months regardless.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 69kg/65/60

Height: 5ft

I hear you. I always gain weight on my stomach and lose it from there last, so I have to be careful what I wear or I look pregnant.
happybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #9  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I'm so, so sorry. As someone who struggles with infertility, I can understand just how much that would hurt. Some people are really, truly clueless; I don't understand why/how anyone thinks it's their business whether or not you are pregnant.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #10  

Height: 5'2"

is there any where private where you can eat your meals? if anyone so much as glanced too long at me i would go insane, too.

as far as the kids thing -- you never know. you haven't had the surgery yet, right?
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 286/209/150

Height: 5'4

I'm so sorry. People are so damn rude. It is for this reason that I have a policy that I will not ask anyone if they are pregnant unless *they* bring it up. I don't care if she looks like she's about to have the baby that very second. It's mortifying to ask someone and have them tell you they aren't pregnant. More people should adopt this policy.
gonnabfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #12  
Changing for good!

S/C/G: 273/ticker/195

Height: 6'1"

I'm so so sorry that you are having to endure the insensitivity of your coworkers while also facing this terrible medical condition. Many to you... and I hope that you can somehow avoid the hysterectomy. Make sure you get a second (and third!) opinion!
kirsteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 192/154.8/139

Height: 5'6"

Ugh. I've had a similar situation at my work. I'm sorry you are going through this. People just don't think before they speak.
emmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #14  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Yup. I've gotten that.

Maybe they are being hopeful because they know you are newly wed?

PCOS is invisible -- it isn't like they can tell right off you have it. My pregnancy was high risk and difficult.

I have PCOS, I've been mistaken for pregnant, and I've been pregnant.

So I've been both mistaken for pregnant and actually pregnant. Both situations? The persons weren't trying to be mean -- they honestly seemed excited about the hope that there was a baby on the way.

Me? When I was pregnant I'd say yup.

When I'm not? I teach them what PCOS means.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-17-2012 at 08:55 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 250/146.8/143

Height: 5'8"

Oh sweetie, I can totally relate to this. I'm a nurse so I'm in scrubs most days. I'll never forget the first time someone asked me if I was pregnant, I was 170 lbs in nursing school working nights as a nursing assistant. After I told my patient I wasn't pregnant (after she asked), she repeatedely said "well you look pregnant" and I said "I'm not" and again she's "well you really look it". That was when I first started gaining weight. I remember going on a break and just crying. And she's my patient, I just have to smile and take it ya know?

It's happened multiple times, sometimes I see a patient looking at my stomach and I'm praying that they don't ask me if I'm pregnant In the past 6 years I've had it happen about 10 times, and I remember each instance. It's always been a patient of mine, except one time.

Last fall I lost about 20 pounds, and I was proud of myself ya know. I was at Banana Republic searching for a job interview outfit and the saleswoman came up to me all happy, smiling and said "are you going to have a baby?" I just looked at her and said no. She looked so excited for me when she asked, it was so embarrasing. That one really hurt me....like for a few days after I was depressed. I don't blame the girl, she was just trying to be friendly I guess. I wondered if she went to her coworkers and laughed about what she said or if she felt bad and kept it to herself.

Either way, I look forward to one day having a flat stomach and not being asked if I'm pregnant! I don't even get it because I'm fat all over, my stomach sticks out...but everything else on me is fat, why assume I'm pregnant?
rachelinala is offline   Reply With Quote