Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #31  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

@PluckyPear you definitely hit the nail on the head. I am addicted to food without a doubt. It is my medicine. Instead of going out for drinks to unwind I choose to sit at home and eat if left to my own devices. not saying trading one for the other is healthy either I am not in the financial position to move out but I may have to figure some alternative out.
I did ask her to stop offering me the food, which she agreed to but didn't follow through. It is like a crack addict walking into a room full of crack rocks for their taking... Some days I have some "fog" come over me and I just eat to feel nothing if that makes any sense. I have a couple of friends who were alcohol and narcotic addicts and in talking with them (they have been clean for years) described the exact same feeling. I think that finding a therapist who recognizes food addiction as a disease is really difficult. None of my prior therapists could offer treatment because they didn't recognize it as an addiction. I have overcome many of the childhood issues that led to the addiction, now I just need to overcome the addiction itself.
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #32  

Just because your family isn't as committed as you are to lose weight, it doesn't mean you can't do it. Temptations are everywhere, when I go to the grocery store it's really hard to stick to my shopping list and not add a bunch of junk into my shopping cart, but if you're really determined to lose weight, there's nothing stopping you.
You should eat just before your mom does, this way you won't be as tempted to eat what she's eating, even if she asks you to have some. If your mom usually has dinner at 7, have a salad at 6.30 and then find something to keep you busy until she finishes her meal. You should also find people who have the same goals as you, maybe a weight loss support group in your town?

Good luck!
Natasha22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #33  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I wish you all the best with your mom and your weight loss, but people food is really, really bad for dogs. Please don't feed them the junk; it impacts their health in ways most people don't even realize.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #34  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post
I wish you all the best with your mom and your weight loss, but people food is really, really bad for dogs. Please don't feed them the junk; it impacts their health in ways most people don't even realize.
I should clarify that I only feed my dogs dog friendly food. They will only get the left over's that are 100 percent nutritional to their diet (My brother-in-law is a vet so he would kick our butts if we didn't feed our dog only the best). The hubby gets all the other people food.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 283/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'9"

TiffNC -- thanks for the clarification, and {hugs} that you have had this terrible issue in your life; of course it still affects what's going on in your whole family.

But, now that we know that your mom and brother *moved*in*with*you, this is YOUR house we're talking about. Of course you're not going to ever throw her out, but you should be able to exert a little more control in this situation.

I really love the "cook healthy things with her" idea; it lets you learn healthier cooking habits together AND bond in the kitchen.

Good luck!
guynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #36  
Changing for the better

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post

Not to worry, I only give them things that are dog friendly-nothing with too much fat, sugar, or the poisonous foods. I was a vet tech for 7 years & my dogs are much healthier than I am hehe
Old 02-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

Post Tif

Tif,

Thanks for clarifying as said above and again my heart is with you. I also agree that many members here gave great advice such as keeping busy and filling up on healthy foods etc. I have been fortunate enough to find a therapist and she is a psychiatrist and deals with addictions. She says food addiction is one of the most difficult to give up and she has had clients addicted to drugs, smoking and drinking and food and they gave up the food addiction last. Of course we can lose weight but to put it in a nut shell she believes healthy eating and a healthy relationship with food comes with healing past wounds, which caused the addiction in the first place, namely childhood wounds. We heal, well try to heal with food, others with narcotics etc. Anyway I am not a therapist and only sharing a little. But I do wish you success. I struggle everyday but feel the therapy is taking and hope weight loss follows with the healthy eating and healing.
pluckypear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 154/148/135

Height: 5' 4"

Also try helping your mom with that list. Menu planning and grocery lists take a lot of work. If you are used to buying a certain type of food, it's hard to make the change without really thinking it through. Since you are the serious one on the diet, help out with this.
kcoftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #39  

Food will always be around. No one can sabotage you but yourself. Unless people are holding a gun to your head, only you are in control of what goes in your mouth and saying others are sabotaging you is blaming others for what is in your control. I lived with food pushers and a chef at a 5-star restaurant and still lost 214 pounds because I took responsibility for my actions.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

Of course we can lose weight with food pushers around, and congrats on your weight loss. It is easier to do with supportive people around and this forum is a great example of a place to find support.
pluckypear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #41  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

IMO, you have to learn to overcome obstacles to achieving your health goals because they will always be there in some form or another. Nearly all of us are going through our weight loss journey will little to no support from family and friends...that's why there's so many threads about it! There are lots of things I try to stay away from that my fianc้ brings into the house- cheese is a big one. And yet it's always there. It's on me to learn to say no, not to force him to change his diet to make things easier for me, you know?
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #42  
Changing for the better

So an update... my mom bought a huge loaf of french bread into the house and my brother ate the entire thing with about a stick of butter yesterday as a snack! I talked to her about it when she went into the kitchen looking for the bread. I think she is starting to see the issue of the effort needing to be a family deal I am hopeful that she will make the effort to bring less crap food into the house, as well as my will power increasing over time. Thanks to all of you supportive people out there! Sometimes getting the frustrations out and talking it through with people who are or have been where I am at helps more than anything. Also, thanks to all of the people who have posted progress pictures, it helps me stay motivated when I am down. I have trouble looking at old pictures of myself and realizing that I looked like that and can look pretty close to that again. I also am in the works for getting an orthosis for my foot problem I'm very hopeful that once it is approved by my insurance and I can get it made that my physical life will improve as well Thanks again everyone... I love you all and Happy Valentines.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #43  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Do you think your mother would be willing to relinquish a little food control to you?

Like, let you shop for groceries and prepare some meals? It might be a good lesson for all of you.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
Do you think your mother would be willing to relinquish a little food control to you?

Like, let you shop for groceries and prepare some meals? It might be a good lesson for all of you.
What a great idea! Or, if she's not and you can afford it, cook one meal a week for the family. Maybe if you show how delicious a healthy meal can be, it will change a little of the mindset of your family members.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote