Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 320/315/220

Height: 5'10

Default Pros and Cons of losing weight.

Pros:
I'll be healthy.
Doctors will leave me alone about my weight.
I'll be able to do more, because I'll have the energy.
I won't have to worry about being too big for something.
I'll just look better and I'll feel pretty.
More choices for clothing stores.
Being smaller than my mother, instead of bigger.
The accomplishment I'll feel will be absolutely incredible.
I'll be the skinny friend, the skinny girl, instead of the fat chick.

Cons:
I won't be able to eat everything I want.
I'll have to stop being lazy and actually get off my big *** in order to lose it.
I'll probably get depressed when I don't lose any weight at times.
Some of my family aren't supportive at all, so they might make fun of me and tell me I can't do it.
I'll really have to think about my state of mind and make myself realize that what I've been doing to myself isn't right and isn't healthy. I'll have to admit that I've been wrong.

My answers to my Cons:
A lot of the things I eat make me feel sluggish, fat and sometimes nauseous after, so are they really all that good for me anyway? I can live without it.

I've been lazy all my life, so this could be the boost I need and the motivation I need to change that. I don't like being lazy, so why keep it up?

One of my fears is doing the work and not losing any weight, but I've never actually stuck with it long enough to see if that will happen or not. So why don't I try it first instead of making up excuses and worrying I might fail.

I've always been really sensitive when it comes to my family. They mean a lot to me, but sometimes I feel as if I don't mean a lot to them. So this will really hurt me. My mother and brother have both made fun of me for trying to lose weight before. They've laughed at me, poked fun and told me I'm too lazy to actually stick with it. The sad thing is, they were right. I didn't stick with it. I like to blame them and their jokes as the reason why I've quit, but it was never their remarks, it was my own state of mind. I'm just going to have to be stronger than their comments. I know they don't mean to hurt my feelings.

Probably the hardest thing is going to be admitting to myself that I have a problem and I need to do something about it. A lot of things play a role in why i'm overweight. A lot of them I can't control, but I can do something. It'll just make me a stronger person overall I think, by figuring out what I can do to change my situation. When a door closes, a window opens, right?

I'm hoping everyone that reads this will share with me their own pros and cons of losing weight and add any tips you may have for me or yourself. I look forward to reading them.
itsjustmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/139/120

Height: 5'3.5"

Pros:
I'll be healthy.
I can wear nicer clothes.
I won't feel so awkward and clumsy all the time.
I'm more outgoing.
I'll finally be smaller than my male friends...
I won't fear physical intimacy.
I'll feel as though I accomplished something worthwhile.

Cons:
Not really applicable. I miss some of the food I used to be able to eat but the longer I go without it, the less I care. I still have treats from time to time, I'm just better about how I eat them.
Nadya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

<<One of my fears is doing the work and not losing any weight.>>

If you do the work (eat less than your body requires as daily fuel to maintain itself), you'll lose the weight. There are no exceptions. Variations in metabolism are not huge. A doctor specializing in weight loss gave a lectur in which he said: "I've never treated a single person in a hospital-based calorie-restricted program who didn't lose weight."

It's sometimes said in this community that "being fat is hard, losing weight is hard, and maintaining a weight loss is hard. Choose your hard." It sounds like you're ready for a more fulfilling type of hard. Go for it!

Freelance

Last edited by freelancemomma; 02-09-2012 at 04:20 PM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #4  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

I know how much it hurts when your family isn't supportive D;...I truly believe my parents had a hand in me getting obese in the first place.

They provided the food, and constantly told me to clean my plate of it. My dad was military and extremely over protective, so I wouldn't be allowed to do a lot of things with my friends. I ended up sitting in front of the TV and computer constantly eating. My parents did the same thing and I picked up their habits at a young age. The more I ate and the bigger I got, the more I wanted to sit around and do nothing. It wasen't until I moved out that I finally got a handle on eating and my activity level because I had more control over it. I'm pretty sure my parents do know they played some part in me getting that large but I don't think they'll fully understand exactly how much, from my prospective.

Heres my list
Pros: Being able to run
Not having to ask for a seatbelt extender when I fly
Feeling more confident then I already do
Not limited to any activity because of my weight
Diebeties runs in my family, so hopefully avoiding that
Loving my body
Being able to wear the clothes I want to, and look good in them. I'm 23. I don't want to spend my 20's not looking amazing
Learning how to have a healthy relationship with food
Not freaking out about a binge because I know i'll be able to get back on track
No longer being the Fat funny friend in a group
Not being judged for my size in a negaive way
Hoping to inspire my family to get healthy too
Not having my sister make fun of me because of my weight anymore(success *dances)
Walking up hills and stairs without getting out of breathe
And holding a conversation while i'm running
Feeling the amazing reward of saying "I lost 1/2 my body weight" when I hit 175 pounds

Cons: Not living off of fast food burgers and chinese food
Loose skin
Worrying about what goes into my body way to much
Expected to keep it off since I lost it. Way to much pressure for me even if I already planned to.

My pros far outweigh my cons and i don't even really think about the negatives...took me a minute to come up with a few xD....

Last edited by baker23; 02-09-2012 at 04:23 PM.
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 198.6 / 192.4 / under 150

Height: 5'5"

I think one of the biggest pros that you might not be giving enough credit is the one where you will have more energy. I lost 65 pounds a few years ago (then gained a bunch back... My own fault) and you just can't know the difference. That feeling of doing something and not being tired, it's just wonderful. And it inspires you to get out there and experience life. My mood improved also, and my outlook on things. I just didn't realize how much of that was related to just being tired.

As far as your family goes, I'd hold off on telling them for as long as you can. When they notice you eating less or doing something active, just say you "feel like it." If you don't live with them, you can go a long time before they have a chance to comment and by then you'll have established a pattern of behavior for yourself.

Either way, that will only work for so long though. If I were you, next time they make comments like that, I'd say "It hurts when you say that and it's not helping me. Please stop." Then change the subject. Repeat until you get the results you want and don't let their comments define you. You make who you are, no one else.
mizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 320/315/220

Height: 5'10

I love all of your pros. I think it's a good thing to have cons, because then you know your expectations are realistic and you're able to realize your mistakes so you can fix them, instead of continually making them.

Quote:
It's sometimes said in this community that "being fat is hard, losing weight is hard, and maintaining a weight loss is hard. Choose your hard." It sounds like you're ready for a more fulfilling type of hard. Go for it!
Freelance
I absolutely love this.

Quote:
I know how much it hurts when your family isn't supportive D;...I truly believe my parents had a hand in me getting obese in the first place.
I definitely think my family did as well. I don't think they meant to, I can just imagine how difficult it is being a parent. It's even harder trying to lose the weight while still living in the same environment, as I've discovered. I don't have the means to move out right now, but I can't help thinking it'll be easier once I do.
itsjustmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #7  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Pros:

Cons:

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by itsjustmagic View Post
                                I definitely think my family did as well. I don't think they meant to, I can just imagine how difficult it is being a parent. It's even harder trying to lose the weight while still living in the same environment, as I've discovered. I don't have the means to move out right now, but I can't help thinking it'll be easier once I do.
                                I still live at home and while it was difficult to lose the weight, once I got started nothing could stop me. I still have arguments with my mother when she literally shoves food in my face, and there's plenty of junk food around to tempt me. It is hard when I had a childhood with a "clean your plate as fast as you can" mentality, but it can be done.

I didn't have the means to move out either (I could now, but I want to save more money before I do), so I know how difficult it is. Good look

Last edited by sontaikle; 02-09-2012 at 04:48 PM.
                                sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
                                Old 02-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

<<I think one of the biggest pros that you might not be giving enough credit is the one where you will have more energy... That feeling of doing something and not being tired, it's just wonderful... My mood improved also, and my outlook on things.>>

I agree. The energy difference is huge, and the mood-stabilizing effects of exercise are one of the main reasons I'm sticking with it.

F.
                                freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
                                Old 02-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #9  
                                YOLO

S/C/G: 156/128-130/Fit(ter)

Height: 5'7"

I'm not losing weight anymore (just trying to get muscle tone) but when I did try to do so:
                                Pros:
                                -To feel more attractive
                                -To get the legs I've always wanted (still working on this)
                                -To be healthier
                                -To be happier
                                -To wear all the things I've ever wanted to (SHORTS!)

Cons: (After the fact)
                                -I lost my boobs (From a high C to an A!!)
                                -Even after hitting my lowest weight, I still don't feel attractive
                                -After obsessing over my body, my relationships with others are more strained (I still don't know how to fix this...)
                                -Because of the above, I really don't have any friends
                                -Parents are annoyed at my "over the top eating"
                                -Family are alarmed at said weight loss and think something more is happening

I've honestly have had more hardships then positive things in this journey and I still need to revamp my view on what beauty is, for my sanity's sake. :/
                                Please Do Not is offline   Reply With Quote
                                Old 02-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #10  
                                PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

PRO:
                                • Alleviate PCOS/IR symptoms as much as possible.
                                • Alleviate general obesity symptoms (joint pain, inner thigh rub, mobility, etc)
                                • Get fitter so I can play and keep up with my kid better
                                • Be a good role model for kid. I worry I passed on the PCOS and she doesn't need to struggle like do/did because there's more knowledge now, and hopefully I can give her an edge with other skills (ex: cooking)
                                • Time will pass no matter what. (So I may as well be proactive about it.)

CON:
                                • Takes time to meal plan and prep. Every day, 3 meals a day. Even if I am not cooking and we go out or to a party... I have to plan for that.
                                • Learning better time management and having to give up stuff I want to do (volunteering) to make more time space for things I need to do (meal prep/plan!)

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-09-2012 at 08:36 PM.
                                astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
                                Old 02-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #11  
                                Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

PROS ~ being healthier & feeling great; what more could one want?

CONS ~ NONE!
                                Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
                                Old 02-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #12  
                                Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Pros:
                                Feel better
                                Look better
                                Eat better food
                                Getting to be active instead of sitting on my butt (boring!)

Cons:
                                None
                                StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
                                Old 02-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #13  
                                Pain Is Fuel

S/C/G: 180/176/118

Height: 5'5

Pro's:
                                - I can run
                                - I feel healthier
                                - I am finally doing something proactive
                                - I have accomplished something many people can't
                                - I have more energy

Con's:
                                - Even at my lowest weight I am still unhappy with my body
                                - Sometimes I miss being "care free" about the food i am eating
                                - Made my boobs saggy and gross
                                - Mother bugs me constantly that I am anorexic

The second con I can deal with, I allow myself to have treats occasionally. The first one is mostly physiological and may just require time, until then I can keep plugging away and working on myself until I am happy with me

Last edited by Mimzzy; 02-09-2012 at 09:45 PM.
                                Mimzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
                                Old 02-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

I've been thin before (once...only stayed at my goal weight for 1-2 months) so i can say the pros are many and the cons are few.

Pros:

Running is easier on joints
                                Clothes fit better...shopping is soooo much easier

Con:

Realizing that no matter what, I will ALWAYS have muscular legs. Even at 138 pounds, i still had trouble fitting my huge calves into knee high boots!!!

Last edited by surfergirl2; 02-10-2012 at 06:13 PM.
                                surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
                                Old 02-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #15  
                                Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

PROS (for my work so far, and for continuing)
                                -one of the biggest pros I have is the energy level and mobility. at my heaviest I'd get tired quickly, have pains in the my legs and feet, it felt really mentally taxing to be that way, and depressed me. I live in a big city and don't own a car, so I need to take public transportation most of the time which requires going up and down lots of stairs, or walk.
                                -I feel, look and am much healthier (another huge one)
                                -it's a lot more fun to buy clothes (and I'll still a larger sized woman; the changes I have made have made a big difference with shopping)
                                -I enjoy eating healthier much better, love veggies, love not feeling stuffed
                                -I have an easier time socially
                                -to feel better about myself: being fitter and having better muscle tone and flexibility feels FANTASTIC

CONS
                                -I feel weird about going out to eat bec I feel like no matter what I choose, the calories will be too high
                                -if I lose the weight, I won't have it as an excuse for not doing things I think I should (career wise and socially)
                                -I get bored with the foods I eat sometimes, but feel like if I vary it too much I'll overeat.
                                -obsessing with the scale gets to be a drag

the PROS outweigh the CONS by a gigantic landslide. it's not always easy, but I'm more than willing to keep chipping away at it.
                                dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote