Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #1  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Default So strange I am now glad I had so many health problems

If I wouldn't have had daily headaches, I never would have gone to the doctor. and if I wouldn't have found out I had blood sugar issues, I wouldn't have given up sugars (simple carbs too) and where would I be today?

I now firmly believe refined sugar is evil and I will continue to spout off about it.

Here, again, is the lecture about sugars as a toxin: http://www.uctv.tv/search-details.aspx?showID=16717

it's long but everyone should watch and change their way of eating. Simple as that.

And without developing sugar issues, I never would have given up sugars. I no longer have sugar issues, but I will forever limit my sugar intake. No more cravings. No more binge eating. It was allllll the sugar. UGH!!!

So, I am thankful. So very thankful I had these issues. It's the only reason I got healthier and will remain healthier. Blogged about it today too.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #2  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I get what you mean! I was getting sick often and getting UTI's a lot. That was one of the things that motivated me to lose weight and change how I was eating (especially since the only explanation for my constant UTI's from the doctor was to 'lose weight'. Same doctor told my friend she had bronchitis because she was overweight)

Though I think that doctor was a little stupid, it did motivate me and I don't get sick as often and I feel good a lot of the time now.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I have a slightly different take on this. I am thrilled to have had all the trouble I had because now I appreciate my health so much more than I otherwise would have. I'm very grateful to have experienced sore knees, a sore back, the inability to tie my shoes, climb stairs, squat, bend over to pick things up. It hurt to stand and do dishes. I had plantar fasciitis. I had high blood sugar and episodes of hyperglycemia.

And because of all that, I now really like my body, even at higher weights. In high school and college, I truly hated my body at a size 6! I never would have been happy or even content with myself if I hadn't had the experiences I've had.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/151/145

Height: 5' 6"

I wholeheartedly agree with you about sugar being evil! Giving up sugar was a transforming time in my life. I also try to eat low carb most of the time, and guess what, NO more cravings!! It is a miracle!

With the research I've been doing on healthy eating I'm becoming convinced that removing sugar from your diet is one of the most important things you can do. It is so addicting...it is like a drug. When I was eating sugar I was never satisfied and would eat and eat like there was no tomorrow. Giving it up was hard, there are so many things that are 'off limits' now, but overall it has truly been worth it. Now, on the rare occasion that I do indulge, the food seems way too sweet. It is amazing how your taste buds change.

Congratulations on conquering the sugar demon! Your life will be so much better without it.
deblosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 234/176.2/168

Height: 5'11

I know how you feel- well sort of. I had plantar fas and couldn't hardly walk. When I went to the Dr. he was very much pushing me to lose weight. I didn't think I looked that bad, really. His words got me moving but I needed more motivation to change my eating habits. They are hard, hard, hard to change.

When I finally went to the gynocologist for the first time in 4.5 years I found out I had a vitamin D deficiency. The vitamin D deficiency may be related to the stress fracture in my femur now. So now I HAVE to work harder at making those eating changes. I can't exercise at the same level as I was this fall and I can't continue to make bad food choices because I don't want to have more problems with my bones. The diet/eating is hard to make sticking changes...which is why so many of us have lost and regained so many times.

Good for you for being able to stop relying so much on sugar! Send some anti-sugar vibes this way, PLEASE!
jenjulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #6  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I should add, I've given up sugar as well! I just feel so much better when it is not a part of my diet. I don't feel hungry all the time, and when I do get hungry I'm not suddenly ravenous and cranky.

I just feel good!
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #7  
Sarcastic Non-Chick Chick

S/C/G: 360/192/150

Height: 5'7"

I'm right here with you, in a different way. If I hadn't had my eyes go all to crap, I never would've panicked about my health and mortality. Turned out, it was pellucid marginal degeneration, which has nothing to do with my weight, but I spent a couple weeks convinced I'd given myself diabetes and wrecked my eyes. It was enough to scare me straight, so to speak.

I can't say sugar's been evil in my experience, but I've noticed that sugary things tend to sate me less, so I mostly avoid 'em.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote