Confessions......of an M&M addict

• I need help! Funny - that's how it must sound but I'm an M&Ms addict. I'm serious! When i'm happy I eat them, when I'm sad I eat them, when I'm bored I eat them.......I love chocolate and seem to be able to cut out all types of other chocolates from my diet but just not M&Ms. I know that it's more psychological - probably a comfort food.

What can I do? What can I replace them with?
  • have you tried chocolate/candy coated sunflower seeds? you shouldn't be eating these in mass quantities either, but atleast you'll get some nutrition from them. and it might help you ween.

i'm right there with you though..i love m&ms!!
  • Quote: have you tried chocolate/candy coated sunflower seeds? you shouldn't be eating these in mass quantities either, but atleast you'll get some nutrition from them. and it might help you ween.

i'm right there with you though..i love m&ms!!

I'll have to go looking for that today. Can I just get them in the regular grocery store?
  • I ate TONS of M&Ms when I was pregnant with my daughter. I call her my M&M baby. I think the best way to stop is to just stop buying them, but that's coming from a beer drinker who's having a hard time with that issue...
  • Add me to the list of those addicted to M&M's. I'm addicted to the Peanut kind, though. And I still eat them, I just do it once a week in small quantities. I'm not giving them up. I get the small 200 calorie bag and fit it into my calories. Fortunately, my daily intake is such that 200 calories is not that big of a deal even if I go over a little. For others, that might be too much.
  • Quote: Add me to the list of those addicted to M&M's. I'm addicted to the Peanut kind, though. And I still eat them, I just do it once a week in small quantities. I'm not giving them up. I get the small 200 calorie bag and fit it into my calories. Fortunately, my daily intake is such that 200 calories is not that big of a deal even if I go over a little. For others, that might be too much.
    ^^THIS^^

at least with the peanut M&Ms you're getting some protein & not just empty calories!
  • that stuff is my kryptonite.
    nom nom nom.

peanut m and m's as well as the little reese's nibble kind- pb in chocolate.

i can't even buy them.
  • We all have foods we find hard to give up. My advice would be to not try and completely cut them off from your diet, but rather progressively reduce the "dosage". Have you tried finding healthier alternatives to M&Ms? Maybe you could figure out why you can't give them up, perhaps you associate them with feeling good? In this case, you should try breaking that association.
    good luck!
  • Boy do I understand. I could devour a medium bag of peanut m&ms in one sitting. I don't have any suggestions. I've had to stop sweets cold turkey this month. I've managed not to have any m&ms since Christmas.

My boyfriend is coming next week (he lives out of state) and he loves them too. I've been thinking about buying a bag for him, but I don't know if I'm in the place yet where I can have them in the house and not eat any.
  • Mmmmm. M&M's! I used to eat them constantly -- loved to walk back from lunch with a pocket full.

South Beach allows for dark, dark chocolate with low sugar content -- found some dark, dark chocolate covered almonds that had a lower sugar content, so have nibbled a few. Also organic dark chocolate chips. Even having a few of those now and then, I 've lost weight.

Just don't want to stress about the diet -- but really have to fight going overboard on the treats that get me through.
  • You can try what I do with bittersweet chocolate chips (my weakness). Use them to flavor your plain yogurt. I eat 1/8 cup of chips in 1 cup of plain, non-fat yogurt. If I still want more chocolate, have to eat another cup of yogurt.

Allows me to indulge without going overboard. If I was eating the chips straight from the bag, I'd have gone through a cup of them in no time flat. But even if I cheat and put a quarter cup of chips in 1 cup of yogurt, I'm going to be full long before I reach 1 cup of chocolate consumption.