Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/197/150

Height: 5'4"

Question My feet HURT.

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I figured here would be as good of a place as any.

I work in retail and I'm on my feet for roughly 9 hours a day on top of my workouts, which average about 45 minutes a day. My feet are always killing me. Sometimes my feet and ankles hurt so bad I can hardly walk. When I'm standing and moving around all day my feet only kind of hurt, but once I've been sitting in the car (I have a 45 minute commute to work), when I get out of the car and try to walk to the house it's almost excruciating. I still exercise in the evening most of the time, but sometimes I just hurt too much. It feels like my tendons in my ankles are going to tear and my feet have been hit by a sledgehammer. I've tried Motrin and Aleve to see if they would help any, but they don't. Soaking my feet in Epsom salt didn't help either.

Is this normal, at all? I feel like I should see a doctor, but that's a huge financial burden that I don't want to take on unless I really HAVE to- since I don't have insurance. I don't know what to do.. nothing makes them hurt less, at least I'm pretty sure they couldn't hurt more.

I guess what I'm asking is, does anyone have any kind of remedies for such pain in the feet? Or advice? I'll take anything, really.
Huzzahforska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #2  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I'd see a doctor... are you flat footed by any chance? I really regret not dealing with my foot pain earlier because it eventually lead to knee pain, which just has never gone away. Arch supports make a HUGE difference for me. That and well made shoes (Danskos seem to work well at the moment ).
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

I used to get that when I worked retail. My advice is to invest in a very good pair of shoes. Go to a GOOD shoe store (not the chain stores in the malls) but an old fashioned shoe store. Tell them your issues and they will help you find a pair of shoes that will provide the support and comfort you need through the day.
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #4  
Roller Derby Diva

S/C/G: 234/221/180

Height: 5'7"

I'm a stylist & i'm on my feet for 7-9 hours a day as well. If using inserts such as Dr. Scholls doesnt work, you'll need to invest in some really GOOD shoes. Be forewarned, good shoes are not always CHEAP. Look for something that has an AMAZING arch support & is comfortable. Don't worry about looks. TRUST ME! I don't care if they look like grandma shoes, they are supporting your arch & keeping you from having to have surgery later!!!
Breasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #5  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I hate to say it, but pain that is much worse after being off your feet for a little while is a classic sign of plantar fasciitis (and yes, I have it). Do the first few steps out of bed in the morning hurt like H**L, too? Also classic. If you have it, it will NOT get better on its own - you need better shoes, possibly orthotics, maybe prescription anti-inflammatory medication. It's when the thick band of connective tissue that runs from the heel to the ball of the foot gets inflamed. Mine is due to very flat feet, but people with high arches can get it, too.

For immediate relief, try freezing a water bottle and rolling it under your feet. Before you get out of bed, take a rolled up towel and gently stretch your arches out.

Honestly, if you're in that much pain every day, I wouldn't goof around spending a lot of money on over the counter arch supports. I would get to a podiatrist to find out what your foot structure is, and get the right kind of supports.

Good luck - foot pain SUCKS!!!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 206/165/140

Height: 5' 5.75''

And what about water aerobics after work if possible, that may be a nice retreat after working retail all day.
Aunrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:20 AM   #7  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Definitely sounds like you have plantar fasciitis. Been there done that. I'd rather have a baby. I had it so bad, I felt fine when I went to bed one night, and had to CRAWL up the stairs to the bathroom the next morning. I could not walk it hurt so bad.

It took me 6 months to heal up, and to this day, I am so fussy about my shoes, it's almost anal. I don't ever want to go through that again. Special stretches, massages, ice, ibuprofen, elevation, heat, get good shoes, several pairs, rotate every day. Rinse and repeat. the Dr. showed my husband how to wrap my feet so I could keep the stretch, in those tendons all night in bed. My God, we went through a ton of specialty stretch wrap and athletic tape.

Get thyself to a podiatrist, ASAP!

On the special stretch wrap, I bought it at the local farm store, this stuff is great. You can find it in the horse supply section. It's mainly for wrapping horses tails, but it's the best stuff ever. Also used a ton of it when my DH whacked off a couple of his fingers. It's stretchy and self sticking. Love the stuff.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 238/197/150

Height: 5'4"

I paid attention to my feet this morning and they didn't hurt very bad, but they did hurt. I've been laying in bed for an extra few minutes every day and stretching my feet and that seems to help. It hurts worse in the right foot, and after reading up on it, it makes sense why I could have it. I tore the ligament in the bottom of my foot when I was in high school AND I have extremely high arches.

Aunrio: I would do water aerobics, but I live in a rural area and there aren't any recreation centers or public pools anywhere within 35 miles of me.

Looks like I'll be finding a doctor soon.

Thanks everyone for the advice and tips!
Huzzahforska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #9  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

I had plantar fasciitis so bad that I had two choices: I could go to a doctor and get expensive inserts and cortizone shots in my heels or I could try Z-Coils. Both of which I would have to pay for out of pocket. I choose the Z-Coils and they worked for me. These shoes are ugly and not cheap. I wore only my Z-coils for 4-6 months until the pain went away. I then found that I could wear shape up shoes without pain.
The stretching first thing in the morning does help too. Believe me, I feel your pain and hope you can find a solution for your problems.

P.S. Z-coils are very expensive and ugly. I have a pair and if you want to try them, send me a message and I would be willing to send them to you to try out.

Last edited by NEMom; 01-25-2012 at 03:38 PM.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #10  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Oohh, I remember cortisone shots! I felt like my feet were sloshing in their skin for more than a day afterward! But the relief.......

My podiatrist made me custom orthotics, and I wore them faithfully for a couple years, but I HATE them. Now that I don't stand for 13 hours a day, I can get away with just wearing shoes with excellent arch support. My favorites are Birkenstocks, Danskos with the stapled bottoms, and Brooks Ariel for sneakers. I even have the blue Birkenstock arch supports to put in my winter boots.

Good luck finding relief!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #11  
Neytiri Wannabe

Height: 5'0"

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear about your foot troubles. I have plantar fasciatis, too, but not nearly so bad as you. I went to the podiatrist and he told me to ice my feet and take anti-inflammatory meds (Advil) and stretch my feet by pulling back gently on my toes until I felt a stretch. He also recommended Super Feet orthotics (you slip 'em into your shoes), which made a lot of difference for me as I have very high arches. Hope you find what works for you.
PixieChix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #12  
I'm doing this!

S/C/G: 220/ ticker /140

another non plantar fasciitis fan here ;( had it also, due to fallen arches. I tried everything. I ended up with cortisone shots and custom made orthotics. Something most everyone else I run into with this dilemma recommends the night splint. There's all kinds, so be sure to read the reviews to find the one that suits you. I believe it helped some, but I had a more severe case in which I had to make arches again..

hope your feet get better!
alitorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #13  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

I have/had this too. It was the deciding factor in me loosing weight. After becoming more active, dropping some weight and buying new supportive shoes, it pretty much went away.
Stretch in the morning, don't go barefoot in the house and use a frozen water bottle under your feet after work. You should notice improvement too when you drop weight.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #14  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

The right shoes/&-or inserts can make all the difference in the world. My foot doc had me get some special inserts - they were like $20 & I could only find them at particular shoe stores - but it really did help with my feet pain.

Try this: http://www.heel-pain-store.com/Plant...ments_s/67.htm
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I second the Danskos. And I also second the inserts. My gf had what sounds like very similar foot problems and got a few cortisone shots that helped, but what really made the difference was the inserts.

Last edited by djs06; 02-15-2012 at 10:44 AM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote