Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #16  
is chubby

From what I know being in the overweight category (bmi 25-30) has little to none proven medical complications.
The only thing a study showed is that people 20-22 bmi lived on average longer lives. That can be due to many factors though.
A health benefit that is proven is when you have busted joints it is good to be lighter and also PCOS symptoms might be less severe.
In the end your goal should be to get out of obese and healthwise you'll have won the war. Whatever your take on personal beauty is you can decide later.
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #17  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

Your doctor is prob going by bmi which is so completely individual its not even funny. I'm still in the overweight catorgory, until I hit 184, but you wouldn't know it looking at me. We all carry our weight differently, have different muscle mass, exc....There are many factors that play into how we look when we get to our goal.

I would continue with your goal of 160 and re-evaulate from there. I find if I set goals that are to high and I might not meet, I get discouraged. Bottom line is you know your body better then anyone else. Good luck and congrats on 6 pounds down *Dances*
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #18  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Just echoing what everyone else has said. It is much better to gt to 200, 180' or 160 than stay where you are now. Your doctor knows that and if he/she gives you a hard time about the last few pounds as you get closer, eithere don't listen or say, "listen, I just can't g there or want to get ther and I'm quite happy I'm here than where I was.". And re-evaluate as you go.

My initial goal was 175. I got there and quickly and decided I wanted to do a bit more, so I set it to 160. When I get there, I'll just see how it goes. If I go lower, great, if I don't, great. As long as I'm exercising and eating right, that weight should be morer than ok and way better than where I was.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #19  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

At this point, whether your goal weight is 160 or 147 or something else isn't going to affect your plan one iota. It doesn't change the choices you make today. So don't worry about it.

I've gotten very close to a healthy weight, and as you can see from my stats over there
<------
I still don't know what my "goal weight" is. I'll know when I get there ... actually I'll probably know some time after I get there. When I am happy with where I am, or when losing more weight is going to take more effort than I am willing or able to put into it, then I'll know what my goal weight is.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #20  
Changing my life

S/C/G: '09HW337 '11SW 314.0/266.6/155

Height: 5' 6"

ITA with so many others here. Your goal weight is not carved is stone. You're succeeding, that's all that matters right now.

My goal weight was the highest weight in the 'normal' category for my height. Maybe I'll get there & decide it's not enough. Maybe I will decide I'm 'skinny enough' at 175. I don't know. But, I'm working towards that number, that's all I know to do.
rachaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

I agree that it makes sense to reach your initial goal and then reevaluate when you're there. I'm 5'3" and my initial goal weight is 150lbs - still outside what the BMI standards define as "healthy" or "normal" but it seems a reasonable number to shoot for. When I get there I can decide how comfortable I am with how I feel and/or look and make further goals from there.

Regardless of where we end up we'll be healthier than where we started!
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 357/ticker/157

Height: 5'6"

Also, keep in mind a set of DDs will add ten pounds to your body weight. I've seen friends struggle with losing those last few pounds without realizing a good amount of it is in their chest.

If you're endowed, you could sort of mentally subtract that. It's not like you can control their size past a certain point. (Meaning, some women go up a few cup sizes when heavy, but then once you lose the weight, you go back to what your body intended for you. It's not like you can make your body go from a C to a B if you're already at your ideal weight.)
saltatoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #23  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltatoria View Post
Also, keep in mind a set of DDs will add ten pounds to your body weight. I've seen friends struggle with losing those last few pounds without realizing a good amount of it is in their chest.

If you're endowed, you could sort of mentally subtract that. It's not like you can control their size past a certain point. (Meaning, some women go up a few cup sizes when heavy, but then once you lose the weight, you go back to what your body intended for you. It's not like you can make your body go from a C to a B if you're already at your ideal weight.)
A properly-sized DD chest isn't all that big once you get down in the lower weights. I'm a 32DD moving into a 30DDD/G (in US sizes anyway, 30E/F in UK sizes) and my breasts are not large. It's a myth that DD is big. Most women with large breasts are stuffing themselves in DD bras when they should be wearing smaller band sizes and larger cup sizes.

My cup size keeps going up due to my weight loss. I started out as a 40D
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #24  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
A properly-sized DD chest isn't all that big once you get down in the lower weights. I'm a 32DD moving into a 30DDD/G (in US sizes anyway, 30E/F in UK sizes) and my breasts are not large. It's a myth that DD is big. Most women with large breasts are stuffing themselves in DD bras when they should be wearing smaller band sizes and larger cup sizes.

Yep...32G here, and not huge. It's all about the band/cup ratio, which most women do not understand because I'm convinced most women measuring bras don't understand! Stores do not sell 32's and I am not that small.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #25  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post

Yes to this! I actually made a post about this very topic awhile back...

You have to remember too that your cup size depends on your band size the volume of a 36C is large than a 34C so you can definitely go up in your cup size while going down in your band size (something I did for awhile!).

To some extent I agree that you can't control size. I currently wear a 30H/28HH and the chance of me ever getting into a 28A is probably about as close to zero as you can get (even with surgery they can only bring you down so much) . However, I have gone down quite a bit since my large.... actually, the large bra I had was a 40K so, yeah, that's quite a bit difference! I've still been losing in my chest at this point so I'm not sure where I'll end up.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #26  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
Yep...32G here, and not huge. It's all about the band/cup ratio, which most women do not understand because I'm convinced most women measuring bras don't understand! Stores do not sell 32's and I am not that small.

This irritates me to no end! I'm still 11lbs overweight and am entering the 28 band range (currently measure 29" for my underbust). I'm not that small (my waist still measures at 31")! I'm just hoping my underbust stops shrinking at 28"!!!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #27  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

My cup size hasn't changed at all. I was a 40 F/G. Now I'm a 34F and while I'm chesty, I don't look like I'm going to tip over or look like a freak. I look quite proportional as I'm quit largely built. When I was breastfeeding I was a 40G/H.

But for sports bras, I can fit a 36DD if I don't want to special order a bra.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #28  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
I know, it's ridiculous right? And when you DO find a 32 band, it's only in A or B cups! Argh!

I actually found some 30 band bras at Target the other day, but they were all 30As... :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post

This irritates me to no end! I'm still 11lbs overweight and am entering the 28 band range (currently measure 29" for my underbust). I'm not that small (my waist still measures at 31")! I'm just hoping my underbust stops shrinking at 28"!!!
I have a larger ribcage and when I'm getting down into what's considered "small" band sizes I'm really starting to wonder about all of these things.

I kind of went !@$# when I realized my underbust started measuring around 31in (and my bust is still 37") because my 32s are now too loose for my tastes (I like my bands really really TIGHT or they bug me). it's ridiculous how bras in 32 bands and and below and above DD are so rare or expensive. If I was losing weight last year when I was in graduate school there would simply be no way I could afford to buy myself bras in my size.

I can't really buy any this month, but I think next month I can probably get a new bra or two. If I knew this was going to happen I would have held out on buying a few luxuries

Last edited by sontaikle; 01-25-2012 at 08:30 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:55 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 120/104/fit

Height: 5"3

It is sure hard to believe your weight could be so "low" because your idea of what "low" and "healthy" is screwed once you've been so heavy. If you are a 5"0 woman and have been 350lbs all your life, it is sure hard to believe that a healthy range for you is 100-120lbs. But it is! If I was you, I would aim for a high-bmi range (like 23-24 BMI) and see once there. I don't think it's healthy to aim for a goal weight still in the overweight category and plan to stay there without reevaluating at all.

Last edited by Magalo; 01-31-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Magalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #30  
hope | amal | أَمَل

S/C/G: 216/Ticker/145

Height: 5'4" (1.63m)

I'm also 5'4" and my goal weight is 145. I would like to be 130 if at all possible, because that was a weight I was able to maintain years ago.. but I'm considering it a "bonus" if I'm able to do that.

145 or 150 would be fine for me, I'd be happy down around that point. I have a large frame and I notice that I am still not "thin" at lower weights compared to other people of the same height and weight, so I think "healthy weight" really depends on a lot more things than just height.
Adalyn is offline   Reply With Quote