Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 209.8/see ticker/155

Height: 5'11"

ennay- You are probably very right about the marathon first. My issue I suppose, is my hatred of flat races. Most all of the marathons around here are relatively flat. I have done slight decline flat half marathons and I have done (my favorite) 8 miles up 5 miles down races. I would take the hills over flat any day. The flat long run feels like i am beating myself with this steady stream of pounding. The changes in difficulty and fact that trial runs mean you run in the mountains and foothills mean that during the race you get mini challenges and rewards. Climbing is hard and for me quite slow, but when I get to the top I get a beautiful view AND I get to go downhill, which after a climb feels like I am not running at all. I have done only one relatively flat half marathon in my life. I hated it more than any race I have ever done and will never sign up for a half that doesnt have some good hills ever again! Sorry I get all worked up but I truely hate flat running for more than 4 miles (I use varying incline on treadmill workouts). And I'm blessed to live where mountains and hills are very plentiful. Unless the race is in a city, like Boise or Twin falls or Idaho Falls, then you get hills. My favorite racing venue is the Sun Valley Area. Absolutely gorgeous.

I think I will make it a goal for 2013. And yes August sounds crazy, but it's an early start time and actually it doesnt get that hot where the race is. It's nicely nestled in the rocky mountains and even in the hottest time in summer gets cold at night and in the morning. Plus I have hiked the trails where the race is and lots of tree cover and shade.

But anyways I do need to find a stepping stone between. And like your saying I havent ever run a longer race than a half. I'll do some research. There has got to be a trail running marathon distance somewere close by.

It just seems for trail runs you have 10k 12k and 50k and 50 miles. Kinda crazy, but I'll do more research .
ma26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #17  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Probably a convo to move to the running thread but....

heh...well I have a hilly marathon for you!!! Nashville, November. It is KILLER hilly, not rollers though. And it isnt trail.

But yeah...I hear you on that. There are some trail marathons but you have to travel. I know we have a 25K here...which again isnt much of a stepping stone.

And, well, nobody says you actually have to participate in the marathon. Train as if you were training for a marathon. Skip the actual marathon. Racing requires WAY more recovery than training. Take the taper 3 weeks to recover and then start doing your ultra training. If you take the much wiser 20 month plan, you could even get through two marathon training cycles with a solid 1-2 months in between each before hitting ultra training. (for a 50K the training isnt THAT much different, more back to back long runs) Each time you go through a training cycle you get stronger and without the damage of racing less step back.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 200+/151/125

Height: 5'7"

The first person to answer said "it depends," and I completely agree.

I have never counted "calories burned." I don't workout on cardio machines at all, so I don't even really know how much I burn during workouts. I have been doing at least 1-1 1/2 hours of intense or semi intense exercise 6 times/ week since I started losing, and that doesn't include some long evening walks, bike/dirtbike riding sessions/playing tennis/etc. That's just strictly "workout" time.

At first, when I weighed a lot more, I could be fine on 1200 calories a day. Now, I'm starting to notice that the same workout seems much, much harder on days I try to keep calorie intake low. I "bonk" more easily (to use the words of Tony Horton!). But if I just go for a jog and do some yoga, I don't have to worry much about my low calorie intake. If I'm doing HIIT or sprints or plyometrics or weight lifting, yes, I need to up my calories some. Not THAT much, like maybe 1700-1800 calories instead of 1200 or 1300.

Just pay attention to how you feel. You love to workout, so you'll know if your performance is suffering. You could notice your times lagging, not being able to lift as much weight or do as many reps, or you just don't get that same "high" and feel like you're dragging. Just add an extra 100 or 200 calorie snack, see how you feel for a week, and then add more if needed.
bellona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #19  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I doubt you're truly burning 900 calories a session. Those machines grossly overestimate your calorie burn. There are a lot of factors there.

That said, No, I don't count it... that's a slippery slope - for me at least.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

I don't count calories burned in my workouts. According to the monitor on my little tracker thingie (technical term) I burn about 400 - 450 calories in my 45 minute cardio/strength training sessions every day. I figure they're a bit of a bonus boost to my body and not something I can accurately count on.
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote