3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Fighting Weekend Boredom (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/251167-fighting-weekend-boredom.html)

aliasihaya 01-22-2012 08:51 PM

Fighting Weekend Boredom

Ugh, I get so bored on the weekends that I'm prone to bingeing. I was fine the past few weeks, but yesterday I was just sooo bored. The funny/sad thing is that I've gotten rid of all of my binge foods from the house, yet I dug through the pantry to find anything I might have missed. I found marshmallows and chocolate chips. I disgustingly started to eat them while watching tv. I did end up stopping and throwing the rest of it away. I know that I need to get activities to help get me through the weekend. Unfortunately the gym is out because it is really crowded on the weekend. And it's winter so I tend to hibernate in the house. I end up feeling lazy and unmotivated. During the work week it's actually a bit easier because my day is more structured. But given the freedom over the weekend I tend to make the wrong decisions.

Any suggestions on how to fight the weekend boredom?

Jesseka 01-22-2012 09:01 PM

I'll be watching for replies, because I have the EXACT same problems. Things I'm not even hungry for! I do sooo good during my work week, and the 2 days of the weekend kill me!

sontaikle 01-22-2012 09:12 PM

I had the same problem this weekend (boredom) but I've found that I can't just sit still anymore. It was bothering me that I had nothing to do but sit around.

I can't just go to the gym whenever I feel like it as my gym is only open for group fitness classes.

So I brought the gym to me. I've purchased a few hand weights and I gave myself an impromptu weight/strength training session (with a good 10 minutes focused on my core, which doesn't require the hand weights). I'm planning on doing this more in the future and today my arms are a bit sore, so success I guess :)

Exercise doesn't have to be at a gym. There are plenty of ways you can sneak it into your day that doesn't require equipment, or you can buy some hand weights and lift them while watching TV...or just stand there lifting something while watching TV instead of sitting and eating :)

If you have a Wii Fit, I know that the Wii Fit Plus (not sure about the original) has a mode where you can use the Wii Remote to keep time while you change to a TV station and step up and down on the balance board. Not the most intensive exercise, but certainly much better than sitting around!

124chicksinger 01-22-2012 09:19 PM

1. Clean out a closet, drawers, etc.
2. Do some deep cleaning, including scrubbing tubs, floors, moving furniture and dusting behind/under.
3. Take your bedding to the laundrymat.
4. Go out shopping (not grocery).
5. NO EXCUSES if you have a gym membership, regardless of what is happening there (a crowd)---use it. Go. You'll feel better after you did.
6. Saturday night - find a karaoke bar and go with a friend - you can drink seltzer or spritzers, or even indulge in 1 planned drink. If they have food, have your dinner there and make it healthy.
7. Take a friend to a dance club and exercise on the dance floor.
8. Go over to Barnes & Nobel and look through some books of interest. Particularly go over to the hobby books and look through to see what might be interesting.
9. Go to AC Moore or Joanns or Hobby Lobby or Michaels - whatever craft store is near you and look into a hobby.
10. Learn how to knit, crochet, paint, make jewelry, draw.
11. Make some micro-popcorn and toss it into your purse with a bottled water and go see a movie.
12. Take a drive to visit a friend or family.
13. Go to the mall......walk, walk, walk, walk around the mall. Try on some new clothing--items you'd never even consider wearing - just for the heck of it.
14. At the mall, go to one of the makeup counters at Macy's or similar store and get an instant make-over.
15. Go get a mani/pedi.
16. Take a long hot relaxing bath.
17. Take a nap.
18. Read a book.
19. Go fishing.
20. Go hiking.
21. Go swiming.
22. Go to the boardwalk at the shore and people watch
23. Organize photographs.
24. Clean the basement or attic.
25. Wash your car and clean it out, take it for a vacuum.
26. Clean out the refrigerator.
27. Go get a haircut and/or a facial.
28. Go get a massage or foot shiatsu.
29. Start writing a blog.
30. Organize and toss out your magazines.
31. Paint a room in your house.
32. Work on any minor home/apartment repairs.
33. Write out your diet plan and hunt for some recipes to try.
34. Redecorate a room.

dragonwoman64 01-23-2012 03:05 PM

plan what you're going to eat ahead of time as much as you can, and have a list of stuff you'd like to do/accomplish

I'm a knitter, I tend to do that on the weekends

35. crossword puzzles
36. visit a museum, or historical house near you
37. call an old friend or family member you haven't spoken to for a while (or email or write them a letter or card)
38. scrap booking (could be thrown in with hobbies)
39. go to the BBC website and learn some phrases in a foreign language (they even have Welsh)
40. draw (color pencils, felt pens, pencils)
41. do some research on a class you might want to take, for fun or career

LuciMarie 01-23-2012 03:55 PM

I sympathize. The closest gym is the one on my campus and it's always pack and the hours aren't that great for me.
As others said above, bring the gym to you! I live in a dorm so I don't have much room, but you learn to work with what you have. Take some time and make an awesome playlist of music and do some floor exercises. Check out a local fitness store (Sports Authority and even Target has some great stuff). There are a ton of DVDs that can be fun. Belly dancing and Zumba seem to be two of thetop favorites for exercise and curing boredom (if you can't find them in a store check out Amazon).
Another great thing is cleaning. I know I go on these crazy cleaning kicks. They help me clear my mind and the results are naturally awesome. I get into the zone and cleaning is my main focus so I never feel bored.
And when in doubt get some friends together for a night in. That way you can cook something healthy for everyone and enjoy company. If you need a snack, air popped popcorn is low in calories and satisfies the craving to munch on something with your movies!
Hope that helps.