Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #16  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I think part of the reason that so many people yo-yo diet is that we're instructed on the "rules" of weight loss—do this, don't do that or you'll never lose weight—that we're not given the opportunity to find what works for us. Each and every one of us is different and we have to realize that all of these diet plans and rules are not made with the individual in mind—they're made to cater to a group of perpetual dieters most of the time.

It's one of the reasons why I threw most of those "diet rules" out the window and just did what worked for me. I break many of the "rules" but last time I checked I was successful.

Find what works for you. If what you find is what gets you to stay on track, then it works. It's YOUR individualized plan that works for you. Will it work for someone else? Maybe not, but that doesn't matter at all.

Forget the rules of dieting and figure out how you're going to successfully change your life—make your own "rules."
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #17  
On week 124

S/C/G: 317/242/157

Height: 5'6"

I have often longed to eat intuitively. I periodically study up on it, practice it and then think I can do it and still lose weight. It is lovely in principle, but with my long history of disordered thinking about food, it is not what I can sustain in reality. At least for now. And this is important, if I want to get to go I have to do the practical work it takes to get there which included monitoring my food and weight with instruments (body and food scales and a nutritional software).

For me, the reality check I need. Allowing myself free reign leads to gradual disordered thinking and bingeing is the result. We all have different issues as to why we are trying to lose weight and what brought that weight gain on, so I suggest looking at your history and use what has worked for you and discard what has not.
one small bowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
I think part of the reason that so many people yo-yo diet is that we're instructed on the "rules" of weight loss—do this, don't do that or you'll never lose weight—that we're not given the opportunity to find what works for us. Each and every one of us is different and we have to realize that all of these diet plans and rules are not made with the individual in mind—they're made to cater to a group of perpetual dieters most of the time.

It's one of the reasons why I threw most of those "diet rules" out the window and just did what worked for me. I break many of the "rules" but last time I checked I was successful.

Find what works for you. If what you find is what gets you to stay on track, then it works. It's YOUR individualized plan that works for you. Will it work for someone else? Maybe not, but that doesn't matter at all.

Forget the rules of dieting and figure out how you're going to successfully change your life—make your own "rules."
I love this advice, and I try to follow it. I am interested in others' experiences and reading about studies, etc., but they are no longer diet gospel to me. I'll take what I can from it, but like you, I will do what works for me even if it doesn't work for 99% of others.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #19  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

I think whatever works for you and is easier for you to stick to is going to be best. We are all different and different things work for different people.

I have to weigh in and keep track it helps keep me on focus.

My biggest worry would be with just guesstimating calories though. It is just so easy to accidentally go way off mark. But I could see it if maybe you were eating meals you have already calculated in the past and knew and then only kept track of other things that were new. But I am sure alot of people lose weight while just eating less and healthier. So it is up to you in the end.
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote