Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #31  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

I said NO this year. I love them and will eat a whole package in no time.
I told everyone living in my house to keep them AWAY. No girl scout cookies will darken my door.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

*drools*

I was doing VERY well in saying no until I went to a family birthday party yesterday. Faster than a ninja that order form came out and before I knew it hubs and I were caving in. We ended up ordering four boxes.
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 153/153/120

Height: 5'3

My daughter is a Girl Scout and has sold a lot of cookies. There is a place on the cookie order sheet where you can donate a box to a solider overseas. I have had some people do that. My dh and me have ordered some but they will got straight into the freezer. Maybe I can break open a box of thin mints this summer (preferably to share with a few people). Those are my favorite!
redautumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #34  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

OK, I can't be the only one....One of the cookies they were selling had the word "LEAD" stamped on the cookie.

I can't be the only one who read this as lead. as in Pb. As in the toxic heavy metal that used to be in paint and still shows up in toys and food from China.

Ohhhhhh LEADership. Marketing fail

Last edited by ennay; 01-24-2012 at 12:03 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 198.6 / 192.4 / under 150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
OK, I can't be the only one....One of the cookies they were selling had the word "LEAD" stamped on the cookie.

I can't be the only one who read this as lead. as in Pb. As in the toxic heavy metal that used to be in paint and still shows up in toys and food from China.

Ohhhhhh LEADership. Marketing fail
LOL, yeah. That would be the Shout Outs (at least that's what they are called in this area, some of the names change from place to place). They have "inspirational" words on them like believe, learn, change, etc. I guess I read it as lead (like leadership), but I can see how you didn't. That's funny.
mizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzie View Post
A straight cash donation is also a great option and yes that way the troop will get 100% of the money. But please don't have the idea that most of the money doesn't go to benefit the Girl Scouts. Last year the cookies in this area were $3.50 a box. It's true that $.50 went directly to the troop, $1 went to the bakers (and really, you can't expect them to do it for free, that's really quite cheap) and the last $2 went to the Girl Scout organization. But that money goes to benefit girls also! If you don't have a daughter in Scouts, you might not realize how much the councils do for the girls. There are a lot of gatherings that are free or very cheap (parties, lock-ins, swimming, etc), plus there is a program to help girls who wouldn't be able to afford the uniforms, etc.
Oh, i know the numbers. I was a girl scout for 10 years. I know that the organization needs their share too. Our council was just....not so good. So I'm in the mind-set of "donations to troop can do the most good"
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 198.6 / 192.4 / under 150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckyyellowfeet View Post
Oh, i know the numbers. I was a girl scout for 10 years. I know that the organization needs their share too. Our council was just....not so good. So I'm in the mind-set of "donations to troop can do the most good"
Ah, I see. That's a shame that your council wasn't as good about passing it down to the girls. Maybe I should count myself luck that ours actually plans a lot of free gatherings. Almost too many, truth be told, seems like I'm always going to some GS event or another.
mizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Girl Scout season is awkward for me. Last year a little girl came to my door selling cookies and I said, "No, thank you." She stood there looking so forlorn, and her mom was standing at the end of my driveway. I didn't know what else to say. I said, " Thanks, though," again, and then closed the door.

This year my boyfriend answered the door to several little girls. He said, "No, thank you. We don't eat much junk... er... we don't eat that kind of thing...." One of the little girls said, "It's OK" very kindly. Then he added, "Thanks, though"—lamely, just like I did. I was laughing the whole time from the kitchen. He felt bad for calling the cookies "junk," but I know how he felt. Caught off guard, neither one of us knew quite what to say to cute little girls selling cookies.

I won't buy them to give to anyone, and neither will he, because we aren't comfortable giving other people food we consider to be unhealthy. And I won't buy them and just throw them away because I think we waste enough in this country. So... I end up disappointing cute little girls.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 01-25-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #39  
IF for Life

S/C/G: 198/183/147

Height: 5'8"

Well, I love them and I bought several boxes. Last year I did the same and really didn't eat that many.

I have 3 Teenage/young men in my house and my hubby, so I open the box, take one or two, set the box on the counter and they disappear - within seconds. Of course, the boxes vanish quickly from the pantry, too, and when they're gone, they're gone.
Italiannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Personally, when I was a Girl Scout, I hated this time of year. My father was the boss at work, and so he refused to sell cookies because he was afraid everyone would buy them because he employed them all. And I have never been a salesperson. Going door to door was the worst thing I could imagine as a child. Girl Scouts, band fundraisers.... I never sold much at all because I absolutely hated walking through the cold and snow, knocking on strangers' doors. That's part of the reason I feel bad about turning little girls away at my door.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 01-25-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote