Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-17-2012, 01:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 320/315/220

Height: 5'10

Default Wardrobe question.

I have a very long way to go before I reach my goal, but I was wondering if I should buy a pair of jeans, a few sizes lower than what I am now to help motivate me into reaching my first goal? I'm a 26 right now according to fashion bug. I was thinking of buying a size 18. Being able to fit into 18s again would make me dance with delight! Has anyone else done this? I figure i'd get so pissed off with myself for spending the money that if i didn't reach, i'd do everything i could to fit into them anyway. So it's kind of a win-win.
itsjustmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:01 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 150/120/110

for me buying the smaller sizes clothes was a kind of procrastination.
pattyhues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:03 AM   #3  

I don't know if it'll work... I think finding a friend that wants to lose weight as well and will do it with you is more motivating!
RHay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:11 AM   #4  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

I wouldn't. It won't really motivate you and it will take all the fun out of shopping for your smaller clothes when you get there!

Also, and this is the important point, just because a pair of jeans or whatever is the right size doesn't mean that they will look good and be flattering on you. It's much better to wait and choose clothes that make you look great when the time comes.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:23 AM   #5  
PCOS and Tuesday weigher!

S/C/G: 288/295/175ish?

Height: 5ft4

It works great as a motivator for some people but as DietVet said they may not suit you when you get to try them on. I tried it until I had a few outfits in every size I was planning to get to on the way to goal - and as the time passed a lot of the stuff is outta style! I do find it good though to have something a size or two down from my current weight to see how far/close fitting into it is getting the more weight I lose though so my investments weren't a total loss

Personally I have a wardrobe fund instead so I save money here and there and plan what I'm going to spend it on once I get to goal rather than picking up something now!

Last edited by knoxie; 01-17-2012 at 03:24 AM.
knoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:26 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 320/315/220

Height: 5'10

I think I will wait and save the fun of shopping for smaller clothes when I get there. Thank you.
itsjustmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:28 AM   #7  
weight watching woman!

S/C/G: sw 253 cw 201.5 gw 154 mg 196

Height: 5foot6

i find the next size down (the size i'll fit in next) = motivation

any lower seems to make me feel bad about myself x
DietDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:39 AM   #8  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

I find that buying a few things (even thrift store finds) that look nice right now , keeps me motivated.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #9  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

It really depends on YOU. You have to ask yourself if those jeans will motivate you, or depress you. Personally I was just too cheap to do that

One thing I would suggest though is buying your jeans just a little tight—you'll get a bit more wear out of them as you lose weight. My rule was: "If you're inbetween, go smaller"
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 198/181/135

Height: 5'7''

I shop at the Salvation Army on Friday and Saturday when they have 5 pieces of clothing for $5. I buy jeans and sweaters in smaller sizes.
(Fur coats & down jackets also....But they are $15.)

I have quite a collection, and as I get smaller it is fun fitting into them.
$1 per item is a great bargain. And a lot of the clothes there are new.

MARLA26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 184/173.9/145

Height: 5'2"

It really depends on wht you find works for you... I've found that buying smaller clothes seems like a good motivator, but has never really worked for me. Then i just look at it, wish I could fit into it, and then hate the fact I spent money on something that didn't fit to begin with. But it works for some people!
ELBS717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #12  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

I have a couple of tops that I bought, thinking they would fit, only to find they were too small. This was months ago, and I never returned them. Waste of money! They became goal clothes. I try them on now and then to see how they fit. One top fits! Very exciting. The next ones not yet, but by summer (and it's a summer top) it should fit.

I agree with what others have said. Even if the pants fit, they may not fit you right, or even at the right time. But at the same time, it's been kind of fun having something with the tags still attached to look forward to.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Last winter I bought some basic sweaters in a size I thought would fit after I got close to goal. Some simple cabled pullovers in several colors and necklines on clearance for $3 at KMart. And 2 from Old Navy in a style I loved when I wore the bigger sizes that I felt were a safe bet. If it worked, I'd have a bunch of sweaters to get me going in the fall until things went on sale. That worked really well. They all fit and will still fit over a range of 10+ or 10- pounds. But I wouldn't risk it with pants. I have to try on every single pair. And, sometimes I skipped a pants size. I just sucked up the fact that what I was wearing looked a little baggy and went down 2 sizes before I bought new ones. Save the money and buy jeans that fit well when you get to a new size.

BTW - now is the time for winter stuff to go on clearance, so maybe take the chance on a couple cute sweaters instead.

Lin

Last edited by linJber; 01-17-2012 at 08:00 AM.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #14  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

i work my size 14 jeans until i hit an 8. never bought 12s or 10s.

what if you skip the 18? just....SKIP? isn't that funner then digging out a pair of pants from your closet that may be out of season or out of style?

have a wardrobe fund!! 1 dollar for every lb lost? 5 dollars for every lb lost?

i found that i needed pretty much a whole new wardrobe every 30-40 lbs because i started looking clownish and it was only necessity peices (although i've replaced by underwear drawer 3 times now)
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #15  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

I buy a size down and hang in in my bathroom so I see it every day I buy a pair of jeans I absolutley love and try them on every now and then. I did this with my 10's and gaged where I was in my weight loss. Clothes really help me to stay motivated cause I LOVE FASHIION lol so getting down into a smallesize and visualizing me in those smaller sizes really helps me. Now that I'm officially in a 10 I just bought a pair of 8's and they are now hanging in my bathroom If you totally love clothes and go find something you would love to wear? It really depends on you and if this would motivate you or not?
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote