Taking Measurements

• For those who compare measurements rather than weigh frequently - how frequently do you measure? Are you likely to see a difference in one week (if excercising daily) or does it take longer to notice a difference?
  • Whenever I noticed my clothes were looser I took some measurements.

Even though I'm trying to maintain, I noticed this recently and found that I lost an inch off my hips and an inch off my waist.
  • I measure myself, so my measurements probably aren't as accurate as if I let someone else do them. I only measure once a month, and even then i see some fluctuations. I might see a half inch increase or no decrease. I figure it's measuring error. I see little change from month to month, but I like to do it anyways. I think that even if you exercise daily, you're not going to see any dramatic changes on a weekly basis.
  • I posted this on another thread awhile back but it seems to apply here.

Quote:
    I measure often...

- Measure like you would weigh-in. First thing in the morning before eat/drinking anything. Food, TOM, water etc can affect your measurements.

-Some measurements are meant to be taken a certain way:

Bust: Bras can actually vary your bust size and if you're in an ill-fitting bra your bust size can be many inches smaller than it should be! The easiest way to avoid this is to bend over so you are parallel to the floor and measure (loosely) around your bust and over your nipples. If this measurements doesn't even remotely match your bust size while standing straight up with your bra on you might need to rethink your bra size too.

Underbust: Measure tight.

Natural waist: Bend both to the left and right and see where your body naturally indents on each side. Then measure around making sure the tape measurer is parallel to the floor. This can be snug but not as tight as your underbust.

Hips: Measure around the widest part of your hips, making sure the tape measure is parallel to the floor. You might want to do this in a few different spots and check to see where the wides part is. Also as you lose the widest part might vary (I speak from personal experience here) so it's good to check. Again this should be snug but not super tight.

Thighs: Largest part of your thighs, parallel to the ground. Don't try to flex your thighs while measuring because that will affect the results.

Upper arms: Lay your arm flat against your side and measure around the widest part (probably right up top), making sure the tape is parallel to the ground. Don't flex your biceps here (that's why they're laying flat against your side).

Neck: Wides part, again parallel to the ground, don't choke yourself.

Obviously, there's going to be variation and you better believe you'll fluctuate day-to-day. That's why I only count full inches lost because it varies so much.
  • Ugh, I just posted something else but the computer ate it! Anyways, when you're talking speed of measurements it really depends on what you're doing. If you're doing heavy weight lifting you're going to lose inches quicker than just dieting (and doing cardio will be somewhere in between there). That being said, post workout your body will retain water so your measurements will definitely be larger (I go up 1-2 inches post workout for a day or so).

As for rate of loss... i lose about 1 inch on my stomach for about every 10lbs loss. Beyond that I'm not sure. A lot of times the scale will stall for me and I'll lose inches but then the scale will go down quickly and I don't see any inches loss.