Alcohol Always Messes me up :(

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Im not particularly a drinker , i used to be. But now i can take it or leave it ( sort of speak) i dont fell the need to have a drink its more so sprung on me and i say " oh go on then" ........wish i didnt do that

I dont drink weekly probs everyother week when my partner suggests it its never off my own back but i really need to get to the point when i can decline it.
    Sometimes i can be greedy and sometimes i can go easy........but theres only ever one outcome ........me being ILL.
    And not for one day , but two or it can just tamper with my body so much that can take up to a week to get me back to mysef.

For instance this monday night my partner brings some polish vodka his friend gave him from holiday..we had about 5 vodka & cokes each and i was ILL all day ended up getting food in which we havent done for ages ....skipped my workout. But today i still feel drained ....my stomach feels yucky and i feel super tired and again no energy for my workout. SOOO ANNOYED with myself if i had of just said no id still be on track. I done so well last week i lost 5lbs and have been soo focused really hope i can bring it back before weigh day.

I drank 3 literes of water that day even inbetween drinks and it still got me, im getting really sensitive to alcohol...maybe it could be because of weightloss already.

But question to myself................was 5 vodkas really worth it?.........ANSWER..........NO keep me on water anyday want to get my motivated healthy mind back as well as my energy i had on Monday before i destroyed it
  • "Really sensitive to alcohol".... after five vodka and cokes?!

Sensitive is when a person who doesn't normally drink any alcohol has a sip of wine and feels ill. Five vodka and cokes is binge drinking, and a hangover is expected. This can happen to the inexperienced, however...

...If you can't turn down a drink when it's offered to you, and you can't control how much you drink when you get started, you might consider getting some help. If all your friends, and especially your partner, are big party people, this would make controlling yourself extremely difficult, and seeking help would become even more important.

Good luck to you.
  • You said it yourself. You have to learn to say "no". I was once a drinker, not that long ago. I like my bourbon on Friday nights, Beer on Saturday. You have to be able to stop yourself. I still have A drink occasionally. But it's only ever one, and it's only occasionally. Once you say no the first time, it'll get easier and easier... Hang in there, don't beat yourself up, just try to follow your plan.
  • Quote: "Really sensitive to alcohol".... after five vodka and cokes?!

Sensitive is when a person who doesn't normally drink any alcohol has a sip of wine and feels ill. Five vodka and cokes is binge drinking, and a hangover is expected. This can happen to the inexperienced, however...

...If you can't turn down a drink when it's offered to you, and you can't control how much you drink when you get started, you might consider getting some help. If all your friends, and especially your partner, are big party people, this would make controlling yourself extremely difficult, and seeking help would become even more important.

Good luck to you.
    Think youve got the wrong end of the stick.Your response is a bit OTT And no my partner isnt a Partyer we dont go out to clubs or anything nor do we binge or drink heavily nor need help hahaha.

U make it sound like im boarder line alcoholic yet i can go weeks with out a drink.Its something i do on a rare occasion and finding as time goes on i feel rotten almost everytime. And 5 vodka and cokes may seem alot to you , but i bet theres alot of people who consume twice that on a night out.

Thanks for your reply but a bit intense for my situation. Im was mainly stating how one wrong decision can knock you off track...........can be the same with food for some people......especially if there sensitive to certain things.
  • Quote: You said it yourself. You have to learn to say "no". I was once a drinker, not that long ago. I like my bourbon on Friday nights, Beer on Saturday. You have to be able to stop yourself. I still have A drink occasionally. But it's only ever one, and it's only occasionally. Once you say no the first time, it'll get easier and easier... Hang in there, don't beat yourself up, just try to follow your plan.
    yeah i stopped my self after 5 could have had more if i wanted to but didnt so to me it wasnt really excessive but as i dont drink much obviously my body says other wise.
    I will be saying no in future as so not worth undoing all my good work
  • While 5 alcoholic drinks is considered a binge, I don't think for a second that you're a binge drinker or that you have a problem with alcohol (unless you tell me otherwise). Its just one of those things over here.
    I found that when I was younger & drank alcohol more often my tolerance was higher. Very few hangovers & tummy felt grand. Now if I have a few drinks I normally end up feeling the effects the next day regardless. My body just isn't used to it anymore.
    One of my problems with having a few drinks is that I get "nibbly" & start craving all the foods that are a no-no for my diet, crisps, nuts, chocolate etc. You know the story! That's my reason for saying no.
    Just try to say no unless its a special occasion & you want to celebrate with a few glasses of something. Remember how you felt last time.....that's what I have to do, remind myself that I'll be so annoyed when its all said & done.
    More than anything, it was one slip up, don't beat yourself up about it. We're all making lifestyle changes & we're bound to slip up or make mistakes from time to time.
  • Quote: While 5 alcoholic drinks is considered a binge, I don't think for a second that you're a binge drinker or that you have a problem with alcohol (unless you tell me otherwise). Its just one of those things over here.
    I found that when I was younger & drank alcohol more often my tolerance was higher. Very few hangovers & tummy felt grand. Now if I have a few drinks I normally end up feeling the effects the next day regardless. My body just isn't used to it anymore.
    One of my problems with having a few drinks is that I get "nibbly" & start craving all the foods that are a no-no for my diet, crisps, nuts, chocolate etc. You know the story! That's my reason for saying no.
    Just try to say no unless its a special occasion & you want to celebrate with a few glasses of something. Remember how you felt last time.....that's what I have to do, remind myself that I'll be so annoyed when its all said & done.
    More than anything, it was one slip up, don't beat yourself up about it. We're all making lifestyle changes & we're bound to slip up or make mistakes from time to time.
    Ah Thanks LW12 , yeah thats all it was a wrong decision and deff agree that my tolerance is going down with age. I get nibbles to so thats why i tend not to drink. I used to be out ll the time when younger......but like you said maybe its a conflict of culture as to who sees 5 vodkas as excessive
  • I find it's the sugar content in alcohol that upsets me. I don't think 5 drinks is binge drinking hun....I'm a partier and I enjoy a few drinks every now and then. Everyone has a different tolerance. I do ejoy booze when we go out clubs, or a party etc...it's not every weekend, but about once a month. I now drink skinny girl margaritas and skinny girl sangrias. I don't have a hangover at all and feel pretty good the next day. There's nothing wrong having a few drinks with friends. But if you really aren't liking how you feel but you would still like to engage in it every now and then try the skinny girls. They rock! only 110 calories in 4 shots! It hasn't hurt me yet!

Binge drinking would be tied to drinking when emotionally upset to numb yourself, much like binge eating. You aren't doing that, your dinking with friends!
  • I hear what you are saying. When I have a drink, or two, or three all my defenses are down. I do not make rational choices when it comes to food. It lowers my motivation and throws me off balance. Next thing I know I'm ordering a cheeseburger. So I will have ONE drink and know I can't have more than that. Otherwise I'd roll over in bed in the morning, see an empty bag of potato chips and ask, "Well, was it at least good for you?".

So my recommendation is to order just one drink when you are out and enjoy it over the course of your meal. Or, if you are home, water down your drinks so they aren't so strong. But these are suggestions to follow only if you can't or don't want to say no.

Good luck and congrats on your 20+ pound weight loss so far!
  • Well, I don't think that 5 alcoholic drinks is a binge. Perhaps for some people, it might - I won't argue that......I for one, being prior military, where all we did was drink when we hit a port - 5 mixed drinks BARELY affects me.

I won't argue that my BAC isn't affected nor do I drive even after ONE drink. but I digress, that's not what we're talking about.....

5 consecutive drinks is a Happy Hour session not a binge drinking episode.

To the OP, if it makes you feel sick, then definitely don't do it.
  • Quote: I hear what you are saying. When I have a drink, or two, or three all my defenses are down. I do not make rational choices when it comes to food. It lowers my motivation and throws me off balance. Next thing I know I'm ordering a cheeseburger. So I will have ONE drink and know I can't have more than that. Otherwise I'd roll over in bed in the morning, see an empty bag of potato chips and ask, "Well, was it at least good for you?".

So my recommendation is to order just one drink when you are out and enjoy it over the course of your meal. Or, if you are home, water down your drinks so they aren't so strong. But these are suggestions to follow only if you can't or don't want to say no.

Good luck and congrats on your 20+ pound weight loss so far!
    aw thank you so much hun i know 22lbs is a real achievement for me never lost this mush for years
  • Okay maybe "sensitive" wasnt the right word.....maybe "my tolerance is decreasing" may have been better way to word it.

I was saying sensitive as thats how it feels.......back in my early 20s i could put alot of alcohol away and expect to feel hungover..........but noway did i expect to after 5 vodkas so what i was trying to get at was my bodys becoming less tolerant hence "sensitive" Than what it used to be with alcohol..........if yer get my drift
  • I gave up alcohol about 6 months ago and after the first month I found I didn't crave it anymore, although i'm almost positive the environment I was in was causing me to drink in the first place(ski/snowboarding resort...man those people can drink) Are you giving it up completely or limiting yourself? Either way, congrats because your doing your body a huge favor. Good luck on your weightloss and great job on losing so far
  • On the upside at least you were drinking Vodka which has one of the lowest calories when it comes to alcohol Try and stay positive and see if you can do better next time you're faced with a similar situation.

I am the only girl in my band and obviously if we do go out to the pub after a gig or rehearsal they will be drinking and eating loads while I get to sniff at their food and eat something completely different :P It all comes with the territory I'm afraid, but it will be SO worth it! Best of luck!
  • Lucky8, I'm feelin' ya....I used to be a drinker, not any more. Only like at happy hour with my other teacher friends on an occasional Friday after work as we wind down for the weekend. But like you, I could take it or leave it. Now I have to just flat out say no when the opportunity presents itself, because if I drink more than just a little amount, I start craving weird sh*t like chili with cream cheese. LOL But at least you've learned your lesson. Sometimes it takes a couple of unpleasant experiences to really drive it home.

I started my period today, and on top of that it was a stressful day with the kids on their 4th day of testing in a row. I needed a drink, but I didn't want the calories of a margarita or a beer. That's all I have here right now and I am too dang tired to go to the store to get wine. So what do I do to avoid the calories? I drink my vodka STRAIGHT UP. omg that was so gross, but I pinched my nose and drank it down like it was cold medicine. HAHAHAHA I don't feel a buzz, but I do feel a little bit more relaxed and a little less like barking at family members. Hopefully I can make it until bedtime without craving bad food!

Cheers!
    Stacie