I just can't eat like i used to

• ...and its driving me nuts! TMI, but last night I ate a great big Christmas dinner and a good sized peice of pie. I woke up around midnight and lost it all. I guess I should mention that all day long I had been snacking on cookies, fudge and other sweets. So I just can't eat sugar like I used to! Today I had a peice of apple pie and its sooo yummy but so sweet and after I ate it I felt all jittery like it was just too much sugar. It drives me crazy because I enjoy these foods so much and I have never reacted to sweets. Before this year you would never hear me say "this is too sweet" but now it is. I'm feeling kinda blue about it. I just want to enjoy this yummy food! But I know its best to be healthy and I will get used to it. Its just taking some time!
  • Wow--I wish I felt that way! I managed to down the equivalent of 1/2 a pecan pie over the weekend, and I could have kept going. Look at the bright side: If you felt poorly after eating those foods, that may be enough of a deterrent for those foods not to tempt you as much in the future; unfortunately, I don't have that safeguard .
  • That happens with any healthy eating change. I experience this too, just not as extreme because I try to throw in the occasional sweet.
  • I'm right there with you all. Well, I didn't "lose it", but I had really bad acid reflux all night and most of today. I hadn't had that in months and thought I just started getting that before because I was so obese. Now that I'm only a little obese, I didn't think that would be a problem any more. Wrong! Plus, like you mentioned, the sweets just didn't taste the same. It just wasn't worth it all. And to tell you the truth...it felt good to get back to eating clean again today. Yesterday sort of felt like I was cheating on my body. It feels good to be in a monogonous relationship with it again. LOL Maybe I'm growing up.
  • I totally understand; while it isn't that I can't eat the way I used to by trial and error, I just don't have the appetite for "the bad stuff" whatever that is to me.

I'm finding I'm not drawn to those things, and I do know if I were to have them I'd suffer the consequences.

I think this is a good thing. Lessons learned, right?!
  • I have found that since getting older (I am 50) that I cannot eat a lot of foods the way I used to eat them and some of them I have had to give up entirely. It sucks because many of them are my favourites but I feel better when I eat what my body determines is better for me.

I would rather feel better then feel horrible.
  • Just speaking from my own experiences, when my body doesn't like something for once... when it tells me it's full or it's had enough... those are good signals from your body, and I think it's better that they're there than if they weren't there. That would spell certain weightloss plan doom.
  • @DrivenByAmbition- I have sweets daily, but I stick to the Skinny Cow and other low calorie stuff, so its in much smaller quantities.

I agree that its a good thing that my body is rejecting the abundance of junk! I just have to get used to it and remember that I can't indulge so much even on special occasions. I've already looked up a lower sugar apple pie recipe that I hope to try next year!
  • I'm not sure that I ever could eat like I used to. I felt like crap most of the time, I just didn't realize it because I always felt like crap. Crap had become my normal.

When I was routinely eating poorly, I often got sick after eating - I just thought it was normal.

I thought I had extremely sensitive "bad" skin, that got more and more problematic over time. Turns out I have a beautiful complexion as long as I avoid wheat and sugar.

Turns out

feeling exhausted with "food coma" after a big lunch or dinner wasn't normal

feeling bloated or overfull after eating, wasn't normal.

getting headaches from blood sugar plummeting, wasn't normal.

having severe IBS, wasn't normal (and changing my eating habits dramatically improved those symptoms).

Feeling nauseous, and experiencing severe mood swings wasn't normal.

It's easy for me to think "I just can't eat like I used to," but the reality is that I never could - not without unpleasant consequences - I just didn't realize how unpleasant the consequences were until I was free of them.
  • I got super sick after Christmas dinner confirming that I cannot eat gluten, dairy, or sugar without facing the consequences. But if I am prepared to face the consequences, I can have all the bread, milk, and sweets I want.
  • I had a big burrito and lots of chips last night. After I stopped eating, my stomach felt nauseous until I went to bed. I thought I was going to loose it. I wish I would have felt bad half way through eating instead of after, then I wouldn't have eaten it all. It was part of my planned Christmas food bender though.
  • My appetite has been substantially reduced also, since I cleaned up my eating habits. I no longer have the desire to binge on huge amounts of sweets (therefore giving myself a 'hot head' sugar rush and subsequent mood swings).

I even put a red tablecloth on the dining table to stimulate my appetite this holiday season (thinking I might be able to enjoy more food) but I don't think it has worked. I kept thinking there was something wrong with me also, the fact that I just can't eat the amount of food I used to, but now like others, I realise I was eating way too much, and making poor food choices and feeling like crap because of it.

I suppose it is good in a way, I have a lovely box of luxury Swiss chocolates in the fridge, (opened on Christmas Day) and there are still plenty in the box. I can actually, if I take my time to savour the taste, just get by on ONE as an evening meal dessert. Wow! I'd normally put away 4 or 5 but I now believe that once I go past 1 or 2 then the taste just gets lost and not able to be appreciated.