Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/162/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Feel like I am gaining....

That moment when the jeans start feeling tight. Ever so slightly. But slightly enough to know if you don't change your behavior, they will no longer fit in a week or so.

I lost the 20lbs I wanted to lose before moving to Europe. Lost another 10 without even trying after my move (love this continent, so much walking!). Felt really good. My parents came to visit on what will be a month long trip to our homeland. Stopped dieting, stopped working out because I've been so preoccupied with going around with them.

Can't say I've been pigging out, but definitely eating more- maybe at a maintenance level. I am scared. I feel like I am slipping again, and I want to prevent it before I go any further. The fact that I do not have a routine here, and everything is based around food, means that I spend lots of time worrying about gaining, and eating my troubles away.

Any advice on how I can enjoy the holiday seasons, but also not let myself gain 15lbs this month from negligence? How do you establish your diet when your life is all over the place? Need adviceeeeee.
MustardFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/195/140

Height: 5'3"

Calorie counting. That's the only thing that works for me...even if I count after a day's worth of eating and I've gone over...at least I KNOW. It takes a whole 5 minutes and keeps me accountable.

Have you been weighing yourself? Even if you're maintaining, it'll be pretty tough to control your weight without tracking your food or weighing.

Then again...you could always use your clothing as a gauge.

Don't kill yourself if you've gained, you deserve to enjoy this new experience and the holidays, and most of all YOUR FAMILY!!!

You've noticed that you may be gaining, acknowledged that you don't want to gain more and that you need some kind of routine or prevention plan to keep the weight off. That's a huge starting point! Just pay attention to what you're eating, and try to move as much as possible if you can't calorie count or weigh yourself.

Good luck, and congrats on your weight loss, I know you can maintain it!!
ArtyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

You are in France?

I think it is SO fun to take guests around to try all of the new cuisine in Europe. It really is different and it is part of the experience - it really is mandatory!

Well, mandatory for your parents. But you've already been there quite awhile and it sounds like you are going to stay there after your parents leave. So, you don't have to try everything with them.

I really only have practical advice:

- In the bakeries/cafes, just get a nice cappucino to sip - skip the sweets (or simply have one bite from your parents).
- If you are going to be there awhile, the street vendor food (paninis and crepes and such) will become old. They always taste the same, you don't really need to eat it over and over.
- I would decide on the meal that is most important to you and have your small indulgences then (dinner, probably?) And those are typically the more expensive meals, so it is nice that you can try these new things and have your parents there to pay!

The only thing is: If you are walking all day, maybe your weight gain is mental and you just have a bit of bloat from the carbs?
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/162/140

Height: 5'7"

I am maintaining, and checking through clothes (although this can be deceptive sometimes).

Arty Kay, thanks, and you're right- calorie counting again!

I'm in Central Europe where the food is so fattening! Unna, good advice though, I implemented it today. It works. I am battling with both AF and a cold, which annoys me to no end since all I can do is lay around and not work out. I feel like a fat blob, but tomorrow is another day!
MustardFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:45 AM   #5  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Even if you don't want to weigh, I'd suggest taking measurements. The ways clothes fit can be deceptive at time because right before TOM my clothes get a lot tighter too. Also, it's hard to distinguish between your fear of gaining vs. actually gaining. It might be a lot easier on you if you start checking semi-regularly something that gives you actual numbers (measurements or weighing).

FWIW, I live abroad too and when friends/family visit it's always hard. I get out of my routine and it's freaking hard to get back in!!! A big thing for me is making sure I still exercise. Also, I just work as hard as I can at making good choices even if we're eating out all the time. Maybe you can make a commitment to one day back in your routine and take it from there?

Good luck!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote