Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #1  
Katherine

S/C/G: 283/280/172

Height: 5'10

Default The Dreaded Munchies

Ahh! So I am still quite full from dinner, and I have decided to sit down and read a book tonight. 10 pages into the book, I am overcome with this need to eat something salty. Once again, I have no hunger at all...my stomaches actually hurts a bit, but I cannot focus on the book because I have these cravings. It's the same when I watch t.v. My mind associates these activities with food. How do you fight this? Give in? Eat a healthy snack? Break the habit?
kailpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Size 10-12/Size 8/Size 6

Height: Almost 5'4"

Sometimes coffee or something else to drink works for me. The caffeine in coffee temporarily staves off the hungry feeling and often prevents me from eating something. Drinking water might distract you from the urge. A healthy snack is a good idea if you're actually hungry. If nothing else give yourself something you have to do before you can eat anything. Usually once you've taken the time to do that thing the compulsion to eat has subsided. You may also want to consider keeping a log of everything you eat. The urge to eat is often tempered by the aversion to having to write it down.
January Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #3  

Height: 5'3"

If I was craving something salty then I would assume that my body needs the salt. In that case I mix a little in a glass of water and drink it down. Most of the time the craving goes away a few minutes later.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:43 PM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I drink water if I'm craving something, but if I just can't get rid of that craving I'll have a little bit of whatever it is I want (say one pretzel or something like that)
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 130

Height: 5'9

hate that feeling. so distracting. veggies or kale chips are great....i started munching on nuts but found that i can't just have 'a handful' and end up eating too much. drink plenty of water, soon when you break the habit of snacking it slowly goes away. good luck!
nat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #6  
... and a piece of toast.

S/C/G: 170 >:(/152/135

Height: 5'2" <-- well, almost

Quote:
The Dreaded Munchies

Stop smoking pot.

Srsly, I hate when I get all nommy at night. It's the worst. Sometimes I ride it out, sometimes I can't. Pretzels dipped in picante or salsa usually do the trick for me. Utz pretzels (don't know if they're just a local brand or not) has a sourdough specialty pretzel that's really nicely salted. A serving is 5 pretzels for 110 cals. I make sure I portion them out, rather than just hauling the bag and eating from that, and drink a big glass of water with them.
loose seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:32 PM   #7  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

I'll usually end up drinking something...either a cup of hot unsweet tea or cider(hey its the holidays) =O usually does the trick. If i'm really hungry though i'll find something to nibble on.
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #8  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Like others here, I try a drink first: I find a big cuppa tea very helpful with that (water or coffee would work if you don't like tea). Maybe try chewing some NS gum would help too ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote