Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-20-2011, 06:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Obsessed with the scale

I find it so hard not to step on it every morning. I use to weigh multiple times a day, but got down to every morning. When I see its up a pound or more, it frustrates me. I know sometimes it water, I know it's sometimes I ate bad. I have been calorie counting and watching in vs out. This is the start of my 7th week. I lost 6 pounds so far. I stayed the same last week and now that I dont see a move in the scale am already freaking that I will be the same this week. I use the treadmill 30-60 mins/day, different incline & speed so I dont get use to it.

I want to get to the point that I look at how I feel and how my clothes fit, but the number on the scale sticks in my head. I am obese on the bmi scale. I dont think I can be ok if I weighed alot but wore a smaller size because I would still be heavy and obese.

Is anyone else obsessed and if so how are you coping?
mgruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I know how you feel. When I started dieting I weighed myself several times a day, If I got in the middle of the night to go to the batroom I weighed myself. I was obsessed with the scale. I finally locked my scale in the trunk of my car, sincie I lived in a third floor apartment I at least thought twice about it before going down to get it out of my car.Eventually I broke that urge, I couldn't quite make it to once a week but finally settled down to twice a week. It is normal for your weight to fluctuate a little bit, if you weigh yourself less often you won't see that and won't get upset if the scale shows a slight gain. How much you weigh at the end of the week or the end of the month is what is important.
If you have gone from weighing several times a day to only weighing once a day you have made progress. Congratulations on the six pound loss, that is a good start.

Last edited by bargoo; 12-20-2011 at 07:03 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #3  

I started calorie counting on June 1 and from then until October I never weighed myself. Like you, in the past I let the # on the scale dictate my success or failure. I didn't want to do that this time around, so I focused on establishing healthy behaviors rather than the numbers. Let me tell you: This weight loss has been the easiest in my entire life (and I'm 43!). I never had those discouraging moments that many people get because they stalled out a week. I knew that if I just kept doing what I was doing, I would lose, and I did. I lost about 40 lbs. from June - October.

Now that I'm trying to figure out my maintenance calories, I am having to use the scale, but I've vowed to only weigh in every 3-4 weeks to see how it's going. However, there are many people on this forum who weigh every day and look at their weight scientifically, for what it can tell them about the way their body works. If you cannot stop yourself from weighing daily, why not try to view it more scientifically. Try to take the emotion out of it. Keep telling yourself that your weight can fluctuate daily, but that doesn't mean that you're not losing over time.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: W=241, J3fc=229/Siggy!!/150

Height: 5'6"

I weigh everyday (sometimes more then that a day) but I view it from a scientific method. I pretty much plot everytime I weigh. I have a graph in excel format that plots a point every time I put a weight in. It was hard for me at first because I would freak out seeing the scale move...But I stepped back...calmed down, and made myself realize that it changes. Like for the last few weeks (Since last TOM) I've been stuck at the same 211. Its has not BUDGED, now, a few days before TOM is to start, it dropped to 208. By plotting the last few mnths on my chart, I've started to notice this is my trend of weight loss. Kinda sucks but eh...
KaeLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/195/140

Height: 5'3"

I totally obsess over it. That's why I've cut back to weighing once a week. Mainly because when I weighed myself every day I noticed that it affected my eating patterns a lot.

When I only weigh once a week I can really take the rest of the week to focus only on staying within my calorie range, eating right, and exercising instead of focusing on what the scale says every morning.

Keeping the scale separate from eating and exercising has really helped me to make these lifestyle changes and stick with it.
ArtyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #6  
Pain Is Fuel

S/C/G: 180/176/118

Height: 5'5

I understand, when I started I would weigh myself close to 20 times a day. It was boarding on crazy. I started getting frustrated because I would gain weight from simply breathing it seemed! I made myself stop that behavior, it does way more harm then good. Now I weigh myself twice a day at the most, I weigh first thing in the morning, after the bathroom, before food/drinking anything and naked. I use this reading as my official reading for that day. However, If I am feeling extra good about myself before bed I may weigh myself but I never take this seriously.

I think something we forget a lot is that the scale is not indicative of what we did yesterday or even this week. A lot of the time it takes a week to even a month to start seeing results on the scale. You just have to be patient and stay on track, the scale will move at some point. I also use measurements to track my weight loss, sometimes when I am not seeing anything on the scale I have actually lost inches. You might want to try this, but remember you wont lose inches every single week so you have to limit yourself here as well. I am not sure what the "norm" is for how often you take your measurements but I do it every 2 months or so. Sometimes I see a change and sometimes I don't.

I know it sucks to not see the scale moving but keep pushing through! Make sure you are getting enough water as well, its super important. 6lbs loss is an amazing start! Good luck
Mimzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #7  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

I keep my scale in the bathroom. When I wake up in the morning, I find it staring at me, calling me from across the floor. I try and resist, but usually end up giving in. I am completely obsessed with daily weighing. I'm trying to break the habbit and I'm getting it down to a few times a week now. Even though I know weight changes regulary, caused by anything from pms, to water weight and overeating, or even being constipated and changing your workout, it drives me crazy to see the scale go up. Like a few people have stated, some do it for scientific research on their own bodies, but I am not one of them. I hope to eventually be able to weigh myself once a week, but I don't see that happening until I hit my goal weight. I'm just so parnoid that i'll gain back weight and get to where I was so I keep a close eye on the scale, just to make sure.
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #8  
Lord of the Jeans

Height: 5'4''

I only record my weight once every two weeks, but most of the time I can't help but check out the scale four or five times a week. I know that some days it might be up, and then i feel like crap, but that's the risk you take when you are constantly checking the scale. As long as I'm down by the time my 'real' weigh-in rolls around, then i'm fine with all the fluctuations. It's like driving down a road and hitting a few bumps, but in the end you get there and you're fine.
leaningonthelord is offline   Reply With Quote