3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Is anyone keeping fat clothes for the visual reminder? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/248283-anyone-keeping-fat-clothes-visual-reminder.html)

twinieten 12-06-2011 10:29 AM

Is anyone keeping fat clothes for the visual reminder?

I've always operated on the idea that you get rid of the fat clothes as soon as you can no longer wear them. It puts you in the mind set that you will not go back there again, and you will not need them. Last time I lost the weight, I got rid of my fat clothes. When I gained the weight back, I wished I had those clothes! LOL! I never got rid of my skinny clothes, though.

This time around, I thought, why get rid of them all? We've all heard of hanging on to those skinny items as a visual reminder of where we want to end up, that goal pair of skinny jeans or whatever. This time I decided to keep one fat item. It's the last pair of shorts I bought, a size 16, because I wanted to look presentable for a family gathering. I was mortified to have to buy such a big clothing size. I wore them only a couple of times because I hated them. Not because they were ugly, but because wearing them was just a painful reminder of how big I was.

Now they're hanging in my closet, because I want to always have that visual reminder of where I was, and where I never want to be again.

berryblondeboys 12-06-2011 10:43 AM

I am keeping one pair of jeans and one t-shirt and that's it. Gaining it back is simply not an option as I have health concerns that demand I keep the weight off or else mynhealthnwill go to pot again. But yes, I do want the visual reminder of where I used to be. But I don't need a whole wardrobe of reminders.

InsideMe 12-06-2011 10:45 AM

I gave most away but a kept a couple of pieces as a reminder. I don't want to create denial like I did last time. I got rid of everything before when I hit a size 5, and as the weight came back on I had nothing to compare against. So this time, I'm keeping my highest weight pants, and when I hit my size 3 (my goal) I'm going to keep a pair of size 6's as my warning alert pants. When the 6's fit it's time to do get back down! And every now and then I think I would like to look back and see how big I was, to remind myself to never go back there.

ShanIAm 12-06-2011 10:52 AM

I only kept one pair of pants but I wish I kept a few more along the way. I only have a size 18 but I kinda wish I kept a pair of 14's and 12's. I never had a huge problem with my upper half so I didn't keep any sweaters or shirts. I wish I did tho!

And one of the things I did differently this time around was to get rid of 95% of my wardrobe because when my current clothes start feeling snug I have no fallback. It forces me and re-motivates me to get back onto the wagon!

:D

Congrats on your amazing weight loss so far!

twinieten 12-06-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsideMe (Post 4130368)
I'm going to keep a pair of size 6's as my warning alert pants. When the 6's fit it's time to do get back down!

That's an excellent idea!

I'll probably keep a pair of 14s. If 12 ever becomes too big, I'll keep those too. I might be hovering between 10 and 12 when all is said and done. I know I got down to an 8 last time, but I didn't stay there long.

sontaikle 12-06-2011 11:12 AM

I'm starting to give away most of my clothes, but I will keep some pants in sizes 12-18 that I can't give away (they have holes, worn out, etc.) to use as reference.

I'm getting rid of everything else. I don't want to be able to wear them again.

Ruthxxx 12-06-2011 11:16 AM

I've gone from a 22W to a 14 in pants and have got rid of all the large ones. I do have one pair of S16 denim pants for gardening but the rest are off at Goodwill.

josey 12-06-2011 11:19 AM

I kept my biggest pants (size 16 which were getting tight) in the back of my closet. And I still wear one T-Shirt that used to fit. It is more like a dress now. Nice reminders.
All other stuff gets tossed out (i.e. donated) immediately. I don't want to see it anymore and I definitely don't want an option for weight gain around. No way!
I also have a bunch of pictures as a visual reminder. :yikes:

rachaelm 12-06-2011 11:28 AM

I was hanging up some summer clothes last night & thought "Well, I won't be wearing these next year". I haven't lost enough weight to throw out all of my biggest clothes, yet.

runningfromfat 12-06-2011 01:36 PM

I've heard of one contestant on the biggest loser who bought a pair of pants that she wore on the finale that had absolutely no stretch in them. She said every week she makes sure to wear those exact same pants once to keep herself accountable. I always thought that was a great idea. I probably won't do it with pants because I tend to gain more weight up top so maybe a nice dress with no stretch or something...

As for my biggest clothes. I still have some but it's more due to laziness. I really to take them to a consignment shop or something. ;)

dazzlemee 12-06-2011 09:13 PM

I'm quite the opposite. I keep my "skinny" clothes for the reminder. I still have my size four pants from 5 years ago that I refuse to throw away because I'll fit them one day :)

Riddy 12-06-2011 09:26 PM

Yes, I'm keeping a pair of my biggest jeans for reference. I like the idea of a "warning" size, so I may keep something that fits now.

I'm also keeping a pair of fabulous wool trousers I bought in Ireland - I'm planning on having them tailored next fall.

aware210 12-06-2011 11:11 PM

I'm keeping some of them, because I expect one day to be pregnant, and money is tight enough with a baby on the way without having to worry about buying a bunch of new clothes.

JollyGreenSteen19 12-06-2011 11:16 PM

I am going to keep my fat clothes for maternity clothes :D *Crosses fingers*. Actually some of my clothes ARE maternity clothes. Which is sad. I'd like to think that even when I'm 8 months pregnant that some of these clothes will still be too big.

I will throw away most of them though. I've recently entered into a "fat-fat" clothes period, where my wardrobe is extremely limited, and I can't wait to fit into "fat clothes" and "kind of chubby clothes". I will be happy there, at a size 14 or so. Better than a size 24.

lm3898 12-07-2011 09:04 AM

I was just going through this dilemma myself. I just recently threw away all my granny panties that look huge now. I wore them for comfort and b/c I didn't really care when I was heavier but now I've recently bought so many cute [not sexy/uncomfy] pairs of smaller, lacy undies etc. that I finally went through and tossed all the old ones. The cute undies make me feel good right from the moment I wake up everyday. Looking at the old ones every day didn't make me see a big difference, I felt like I was holding on to them for when I gained the weight back. I've made a decision to never get that unhealthy again (7 months strong now) so no need for them! But I do think it's really smart to keep one item of your big clothes as a reminder, just not all of them!