Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

I wouldn't, it could go horribly wrong. You're giving the journalist a huge amount of power, and they could print a deeply unflattering, indeed inaccurate article. Even if the article is relatively nice, people are often nasty about anyone who is or has been fat, and you could find that you get people who know you being unpleasant. My former neighbours hurtled into the headlines in the summer, and it was a really nasty experience that nearly wrecked their marriage (well, that was when I last heard from them - they may have decided on divorce by now).

The BBC put out a request for LGBT parents to be in a documentary recently, and I mentioned it to a friend of mine who is a queer parent. She laughed and said that they always struggle to find people willing to do this, because word has got out that any request like this will always be looking for the nuttiest people they can find in order to make interesting news, and most people hear via the community that it's a really bad idea to get involved.

Last edited by Esofia; 12-05-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #17  
Miss Motivated

S/C/G: 170/170/140

Height: 5'5

I say do it! it really is sensational to hear you lost so much weight! congratulations! let the world know YOU DID IT.
Ariannag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #18  

Height: 5'8.5"

I certainly think you should do it if you WANT to; it's a huge accomplishment and not an attention grabber. You earned it.

However, I would not do it. And interestingly, I am not at all shy and would not hesitate at all for the publicity. But if/when I ever get down to a nice weight there is no way on this earth that I would ever publicize a "before" picture. I hate the way I look and it's bad enough that people see it now. I sure would not "advertise" it in any way if it was gone.

But it's a personal decision... if you like the idea, go for it. But Esofia has some VERY good points too. You have no idea whether this will be flattering at all or if they will sensationalize it to make your "before" the worst it can be. I would guess likely the latter. You are taking a big chance. Just consider those things and be ready to take the risk if you decide to do it.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #19  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I'd say NO, don't do it. Do you really want to be known as "that really fat woman who lost all that weight"? It's way more attention than I'd want.

Also--and I am not saying that this would happen to you!--I regained a lot of my weight, and while I got a lot of compliments while I was losing, no one said anything when I started regaining--but I knew that they noticed. How could they not?

Do you really want your whole town (at least the paper readers) to be watching you?

Please don't go on the basis of how many votes the choices get. Decide on your own what you're comfortable with.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #20  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

I'd agree with all the people that posted, 'do it' on this thread.

I think it can motivate people to get started and lose weight.
You earned the right to tell your story. Congrats on the huge weight loss accomplishment by the way!

I'm sure your heart will tell you what the right decision is for you.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #21  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
I'd say NO, don't do it. Do you really want to be known as "that really fat woman who lost all that weight"? It's way more attention than I'd want.

Also--and I am not saying that this would happen to you!--I regained a lot of my weight, and while I got a lot of compliments while I was losing, no one said anything when I started regaining--but I knew that they noticed. How could they not?

Do you really want your whole town (at least the paper readers) to be watching you?

Please don't go on the basis of how many votes the choices get. Decide on your own what you're comfortable with.

Jay
Well said... I agree completely!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #22  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

You know, at first I thought -- gee, that might be an inspiring story for many people, but then I remembered a lady I know that did that very thing in our local newspaper a while back. I think becuz I knew her since she was young, and I knew how much she had struggled with her weight (esp during her teens), I was so proud of her accomplishement, and happy for her.

BUT, about a year or so later, I ran into her and couldn't help but notice that she had gained most, if not all the weight back. Although I didn't let on, I felt so bad for her -- becuz being a former yo-yoer myself, I knew how bad I felt when I regained again and again.

Now, they did do a nice article on her though, but all I could think about was how she must feel now that the whole town knows that she has gained it all back; and I haven't seen her out & about as much as before either ...

... just something to consider. Would I do it: NO, but then it's a personal choice that only you can make ...

BTW ~ how long have you been maintaining for? I might take that into consideration in the decision.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 12-05-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote