Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

Default genetically predetermined?

So I lost like 12lbs on my new diet (i was 335 went down to 288 now 276) but it stopped and has started going in reverse. I don't know why, I exercise every day, I run errands, I eat only 1300-1500 calories a day, and I am gaining weight. No i don't eat a lot of salt or fast food or junk food. It seems I have gained well over 3 lbs this week and I don't know how thats possible. I have had weight loss stall before, once I got to 245 and it just stopped and went back up to 288. Its like once it gets down so far my body freaks out and just makes fat out of thin air, I didn't eat enough in the last 5 days to gain 3lbs I just didn't. But my body won't go down, if it had stayed at 276 I would of been like ok thats weird, but to gain 3 lbs? I've been tested for thyroid before I don't have it or anything really. Every woman in my family is as big or bigger than me and I'm starting to think my body just isn't capable of losing weight beyond the lowest I have been 245 and even getting there is almost impossible. Any thoughts? it isnt tom either

lol is it predetermined or predisposed or something? what i meant was like is it predetermined in my genes to be fat and unable to lose

Last edited by CherryQuinn; 12-06-2011 at 04:25 PM.
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Well, there is certainly a genetic component to body type, and medical conditions can run through families. However, you said:

"once I got to 245 and it just stopped and went back up to 288. Its like once it gets down so far my body freaks out and just makes fat out of thin air"
^
This isn't supported by any known science research. Can you honestly say to yourself that you did absolutely nothing different when losing, and suddenly gained over 40lbs? Is there no change in plan at all?
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
Well, there is certainly a genetic component to body type, and medical conditions can run through families. However, you said:

"once I got to 245 and it just stopped and went back up to 288. Its like once it gets down so far my body freaks out and just makes fat out of thin air"
^
This isn't supported by any known science research. Can you honestly say to yourself that you did absolutely nothing different when losing, and suddenly gained over 40lbs? Is there no change in plan at all?
same thing. it crept up slowly it wasnt 40lbs in a week it was 40lbs in like a year
Old 12-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #4  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

While some people are more likely to gain weight, i haven't heard of people gaining for no reason.

Now, daily weighing will show patterns. I jump all over the place with 3-5 depending on how much sodium I eat and how much I'm drinking and on when in my monthly cycle I am, I will gain during TTOM and around ovulation no matter what I try to do to avoid that. May be that is what your are seeing now - a water weight gain due to mid cycle water weight gain for ovulation.

But 40 pounds in one year is easy to explain. It doesn't take many extra calories in a day to add up to 40 pounds in a year. Just by drinking one 20 oz regular soda every day for a year will add up to 27 pounds worth of calories. If you are eating at maintenance and just add in one soda, that is 27 pounds right there. It doesn't take much.. It's the little bit every single day that adds up and that is why people get overweight.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #5  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Do you keep a food diary. I track everything in my Weight Watchers tracker. Sometimes things we don't think about can sneak up on us. If you put it in your mouth write it down. That helps to see where we might be miscalculating. Especially with things like Mayo, coffee creamer, etc. Weighing and measuring food is important as well. It's very easy to get complacent and over do portion sizes. Been there done that!

There are also thousands of reasons for weight fluctuations.

Another thing, is after you've been losing weight for awhile, you seem to get to a point, where your body just needs a little extra time to catch up to what you're doing. Just because you created a 3500 calorie deficit for the week at 1 p.m. today, does not mean that at 1:01 p.m. you'll be a pound lighter.

Tracking you food, exercise and weight is also very helpful in seeing trends in your weight loss over certain periods of time. A month, 3 months, 6 months. This really gives you a good look at how your body reacts to diet and exercise. Very useful info for the long haul.

Hang in there and it will work!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
While some people are more likely to gain weight, i haven't heard of people gaining for no reason.

Now, daily weighing will show patterns. I jump all over the place with 3-5 depending on how much sodium I eat and how much I'm drinking and on when in my monthly cycle I am, I will gain during TTOM and around ovulation no matter what I try to do to avoid that. May be that is what your are seeing now - a water weight gain due to mid cycle water weight gain for ovulation.

But 40 pounds in one year is easy to explain. It doesn't take many extra calories in a day to add up to 40 pounds in a year. Just by drinking one 20 oz regular soda every day for a year will add up to 27 pounds worth of calories. If you are eating at maintenance and just add in one soda, that is 27 pounds right there. It doesn't take much.. It's the little bit every single day that adds up and that is why people get overweight.

you gain weight ovulating too? oh my sometimes i wish i was a man. i am mid cycle ovulating hopefully thats this weeks issue and hopefully last time was just weight casual sneaking up. im just terrified of being big forever like everyone else in my family. im 24 and desperately want to get to a healthy weight so i can do all the things girls my age do without huffing and puffing or being slow. i want clothes my own age! lol
Old 12-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlaine09 View Post
you gain weight ovulating too? oh my sometimes i wish i was a man. i am mid cycle ovulating hopefully thats this weeks issue and hopefully last time was just weight casual sneaking up. im just terrified of being big forever like everyone else in my family. im 24 and desperately want to get to a healthy weight so i can do all the things girls my age do without huffing and puffing or being slow. i want clothes my own age! lol
I gain the most mid cycle. Never less than three pounds and sometimes as much as 5. I hold it for 4-5 days and then pee it away over then ext couple and usually a big whoosh for the month happens then (for me). A lot of gals here notice mid cycle weight gain or stall out.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcirerf View Post
Do you keep a food diary. I track everything in my Weight Watchers tracker. Sometimes things we don't think about can sneak up on us. If you put it in your mouth write it down. That helps to see where we might be miscalculating. Especially with things like Mayo, coffee creamer, etc. Weighing and measuring food is important as well. It's very easy to get complacent and over do portion sizes. Been there done that!

There are also thousands of reasons for weight fluctuations.

Another thing, is after you've been losing weight for awhile, you seem to get to a point, where your body just needs a little extra time to catch up to what you're doing. Just because you created a 3500 calorie deficit for the week at 1 p.m. today, does not mean that at 1:01 p.m. you'll be a pound lighter.

Tracking you food, exercise and weight is also very helpful in seeing trends in your weight loss over certain periods of time. A month, 3 months, 6 months. This really gives you a good look at how your body reacts to diet and exercise. Very useful info for the long haul.

Hang in there and it will work!
i do track my foods to create a 1k-1.4k deficit a day , the last 5 days have been roughly 1000 so i figured i'd have lost weight but its up 3 lbs hopefully its just a normal flucuation , im just so worried itll stall like it did last time. last time i was stuck at 245 for a month and then it started to creep up, not very quickly, but still. im just scared my body will hang onto the fat like a dam holding back water
Old 12-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #9  
focused.

S/C/G: 125/65/65 (kg)

Height: 1.73/5'8"

i have nothing to add to what everyone said, just to tell you that i was like you, feeling incapable of losing weight, like i was from a different species and my body didnt work like it should. Sticking to my plan religiously for one year i found out i am like everyone else, capable of losing and also gaining.
I m sure there are medical conditions that makes it harder, but if you dont have any of those, you are capable to do anything.
Engraved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #10  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I'm another who gains during ovulation. Actually, I normally ONLY lose weight the week or two between ovulation and TOM.

So... I would say, though, if it's really an issue why not talk to your doctor and get a full check up. It never hurts and I wish I would've gone at the beginning of my journey just to ask some questions etc. If you're eating 1000 calories a day at your weight, you're going to lose. I don't know how sedentary you are but, honestly? 1000 calories a day sounds really low to me. I eat more like 1400-1800 a day and am 100lbs less than you and am still losing. I am pretty active but still, you might want to consider eating closer to 1500 (or at least check with a nutritionist first because again I don't know your activity levels).

Now, I do think it's totally possible to have stalls (I've had my share myself) but during those times I've always lost inches at the same time and normally I could point to something being different (for instance, during my first stall I had started heavy weight lifting, which is notorious for water retention).

But I really don't believe anyone is genetically predestined to be obese. If so I should be! Almost all of my immediate family members are obese, very obese for that matter. That being said I also have immediate family members (not blood relatives) who are too. I honestly believe it's much more about habits, food choices, exercise levels etc than genetics. Certainly, some people are more prone to gain weight (and I'll put myself in that category) BUT it's entirely possible to still lose it. Now, the weight loss might come off really, really slowly (like I said I've had stalls and many slow months) but it's still possible (excluding some diseases that do cause you to gain weight but again, that's why I suggest talking to your doctor). There are also those of us who are large framed and might not get to the low end of a healthy BMI but being large framed myself I can tell you that I have been within a health weight range before in my life and it's definitely doable.

I don't think weight loss is easy by any means. You need to find a plan that works for you both in terms of weight loss and ability to stick to it (that alone has taken me YEARS to find!) but I don't buy that it's impossible at all. Some people might have more struggles than others, certainly. Years of yoyo dieting can wreck havoc to your metabolism but it's still possible to lose. You might have to focus more on exercise and have lower maintenance calories than others because of it but it's still possible.

I would suggest tracking what you eat and weighing daily to figure out your patterns. Have you eaten more salt this week that caused a gain? Ovulation could certainly be contributing too. Did you start a new exercise program? What if you do calorie cycling (some days higher, some days lower), does that help? Take note of all these things with your food choices and find patterns.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
I'm another who gains during ovulation. Actually, I normally ONLY lose weight the week or two between ovulation and TOM.

So... I would say, though, if it's really an issue why not talk to your doctor and get a full check up. It never hurts and I wish I would've gone at the beginning of my journey just to ask some questions etc. If you're eating 1000 calories a day at your weight, you're going to lose. I don't know how sedentary you are but, honestly? 1000 calories a day sounds really low to me. I eat more like 1400-1800 a day and am 100lbs less than you and am still losing. I am pretty active but still, you might want to consider eating closer to 1500 (or at least check with a nutritionist first because again I don't know your activity levels).

Now, I do think it's totally possible to have stalls (I've had my share myself) but during those times I've always lost inches at the same time and normally I could point to something being different (for instance, during my first stall I had started heavy weight lifting, which is notorious for water retention).

But I really don't believe anyone is genetically predestined to be obese. If so I should be! Almost all of my immediate family members are obese, very obese for that matter. That being said I also have immediate family members (not blood relatives) who are too. I honestly believe it's much more about habits, food choices, exercise levels etc than genetics. Certainly, some people are more prone to gain weight (and I'll put myself in that category) BUT it's entirely possible to still lose it. Now, the weight loss might come off really, really slowly (like I said I've had stalls and many slow months) but it's still possible (excluding some diseases that do cause you to gain weight but again, that's why I suggest talking to your doctor). There are also those of us who are large framed and might not get to the low end of a healthy BMI but being large framed myself I can tell you that I have been within a health weight range before in my life and it's definitely doable.

I don't think weight loss is easy by any means. You need to find a plan that works for you both in terms of weight loss and ability to stick to it (that alone has taken me YEARS to find!) but I don't buy that it's impossible at all. Some people might have more struggles than others, certainly. Years of yoyo dieting can wreck havoc to your metabolism but it's still possible to lose. You might have to focus more on exercise and have lower maintenance calories than others because of it but it's still possible.

I would suggest tracking what you eat and weighing daily to figure out your patterns. Have you eaten more salt this week that caused a gain? Ovulation could certainly be contributing too. Did you start a new exercise program? What if you do calorie cycling (some days higher, some days lower), does that help? Take note of all these things with your food choices and find patterns.
oh no 1k-1.4k is the deficit i am for, i eat 1300-1500 a day
Old 12-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #12  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
i do track my foods to create a 1k-1.4k deficit a day , the last 5 days have been roughly 1000 so i figured i'd have lost weight but its up 3 lbs hopefully its just a normal flucuation , im just so worried itll stall like it did last time. last time i was stuck at 245 for a month and then it started to creep up, not very quickly, but still. im just scared my body will hang onto the fat like a dam holding back water
I've been stuck for 3-6 weeks without a loss before. Currently I am fluctuating between the same 4lb. Just keep doing what you're doing and the weight will eventually catch up. Even when you see a gain don't stop counting, weighing, and measuring! The effort will be worth it. Just look at the goal section, it was worth it for every one of them!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #13  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

1. Don't give up.
2. Go to loseit.com, sign up, and put in your stats. You really may not be eating enough. I don't like to write that to anyone, but at your weight you could be setting yourself up by not eating enough. All that has to be created is a NOT MORE THAN a 500 calorie per day deficit.
3. Stay off the scale. Weigh in every other week. Give your plan a chance to work, give your body a chance to succumb to the plan.
4. Sure enough, being female sucks when its TOM and we're hormonal and hungry and craving and retaining water.
5. Speaking of water, make sure to drink plenty.
6. Be honest with yourself (not saying you aren't) but do track everything you eat. Everything.
7. Move. More by something as easy as walking.

Again, go check your caloric requirements FOR THE SIZE YOU ARE now, and subtract 500 ( or 400 or 300 or 200 or 100 ) and not more than 500. Super reducing your caloric content vs. your caloric needs is counterproductive. You'll be hungrier, you'll be setting yourself up for failure.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #14  
KakeJ

S/C/G: 295/195/175

Height: 5'91/2"

Quote:
So I lost like 12lbs on my new diet (i was 335 went down to 288 now 276) but it stopped and has started going in reverse. I don't know why, I exercise every day, I run errands, I eat only 1300-1500 calories a day, and I am gaining weight. No i don't eat a lot of salt or fast food or junk food. It seems I have gained well over 3 lbs this week and I don't know how thats possible. I have had weight loss stall before, once I got to 245 and it just stopped and went back up to 288. Its like once it gets down so far my body freaks out and just makes fat out of thin air, I didn't eat enough in the last 5 days to gain 3lbs I just didn't. But my body won't go down, if it had stayed at 276 I would of been like ok thats weird, but to gain 3 lbs? I've been tested for thyroid before I don't have it or anything really. Every woman in my family is as big or bigger than me and I'm starting to think my body just isn't capable of losing weight beyond the lowest I have been 245 and even getting there is almost impossible. Any thoughts? it isnt tom either
!
lol is it predetermined or predisposed or something? what i meant was like is it predetermined in my genes to be fat and unable to lose

Give it a couple weeks before fretting. In fact stay off the scale for 2 week intervals. I am at a stalling point now too, as I am as low as I've been in the last 15 years. Though the women in my family aren't skinny, none are over 200lbs. and the men are all at about 200lbs. I haven't been 200 since high School and was over 325 with the last pregnancy. I was thinking the same thing as the loss slowed down in the last month or so, and OH OH! Here are the holidays!

I think some of the stall is predetermined, but, I do believe that it can be powered though , if you know what I mean. That is to say, don't stop even if you went up a few lbs. as I suspect I too may,over the next few weeks. I think we both are eating the same calories daily and at some point the "fat Gene" switches on saying " hey i'm starving" and the storing begins. I am on a mostly Protein diet and while I eat a little of everything. I will be looking to eliminate the carbs, fats, and sugars, (except olive oil) at my stall point and replace it with more legumes and root vegetables, pickled vegetables and stay at 1500-1700 calories. I am at the weight I had been before my last pregnancy 4 + years ago. I wasn't gaining before that but, after the baby I was wondering why the pregnancy gain hadn't come off as quickly as before and then indeed 3 years later started going up to too close to 300 again. I was well over that in the last trimester. Yes, something may have triggered for you, but, just tweak the diet a little, tough it out, maintain your routine and it should turn around again. This may happen a couple of times before you reach your goal. So, that's my take on it. Guess you can see I'm giving myself a peptalk as well> LOL! Best wishes.
kakeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #15  

A couple of people are saying to up my calorie count so its like a 500 deficit but they most I can eat a day is 1800. If i eat more I get sick, my weight was caused by fast food and I now have to stop eating fast good because it kept making me violently ill (gaul bladder), without fastfood the most I can force is 1800 or else I make myself sick again. Eating 1300-1500 is basically my normal food intake minus the fast food I used to eat every day, this isn't really a diet so much as its a lifestyle change, I'm not saying I don't have goals and expectations and hopes and wants of losing weight like a dieter would but first and foremost its a lifestyle change due to health reasons, I'm not gonna give up cause I can't anyways unless I want to go through the intense pain that fast food and greasy foods have caused me, and anyone whose ever suffered through gaul bladder pains can understand that . so upping my calorie intake isn't something I can do without force feeding myself

Last edited by CherryQuinn; 12-06-2011 at 10:41 PM.