Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-06-2011, 03:02 AM   #16  
This time, it's forever..

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
I hate when people notice my weight loss! It makes me uncomfortable. Its like having a neon sign over my head to others around me that reads: I'm eating better and exercising!!"
Same here!! I don’t get it why I get weird looks over choosing an healthy option over fast food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinieten View Post

However, around those in my life who are heavy and who can't lose weight for whatever reason, compliments may come but discussion is dropped beyond a "thank you". Talking about it with them would be considered bragging. Sometimes I also feel guilty when the compliments come from them..... although that guilt usually doesn't last for long .
I have to agree. Maybe we feel like this because we lost the weight or are still losing it and they haven’t made the decision for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
I generally like compliments, but it really depends on the kind of compliment given.

Nothing wrong with a "hey you're looking great!" or something that that sort, but certain "compliments" bug me.

"You look so beautiful" really bugs me because why does my weight loss have any bearing on my beauty? Was I an ugly troll before? My face has barely changed and I've still got the same curly hair that everyone raved over before. Why am I suddenly more beautiful now?

"You are wasting away!" also annoys me because no I'm not. I'm right now at the really high end of a healthy BMI so...you know, I'm far from being a waif. This compliment is right up there with "you look great, stop losing weight!" because really stop telling me what to do.
I get this ALL the time. I also got skeleton the other day, WHAT?? I have a BMI of 23.7 but I’m a skelton, whatever.
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #17  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

LOL about "What's your secret?" I HATE THAT! Um...let's see...you don't REALLY want to know how difficult it was....must have been MAGIC! (eyeroll)
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #18  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
"You look so good now!" What, as opposed to when I was fat?
This one doesn't bother me, interestingly enough. I guess because I kind of think the same thing. I never thought I looked good fat. I thought I looked terrible. I'd see large women who looked good and I figured I couldn't possibly look worse than them. Yet I couldn't bring myself to believe it. I was just not comfortable in my own skin.

Quote:
"What's your secret?" *sigh*
LOL! I know. My secret? Count calories, exercise, Bodybugg...... Sometimes that's followed up with, by the person who asked, "I can't do that. It's too complicated". OK, whatever. I ran out of magic pills, sorry.

Quote:
They hurt even worse now that I've gained most of the weight back.
I can see why.

You make a good point about compliments vs comments. People should be careful what they say, or how they say it. Sometimes the well meaning comments can be hurtful.

Last edited by twinieten; 12-07-2011 at 07:58 AM.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #19  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinieten View Post

LOL! I know. My secret? Count calories, exercise, Bodybugg...... Sometimes that's followed up with, by the person who asked, "I can't do that. It's too complicated". OK, whatever. I ran out of magic pills, sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickieChicks View Post
LOL about "What's your secret?" I HATE THAT! Um...let's see...you don't REALLY want to know how difficult it was....must have been MAGIC! (eyeroll)

LOL I get this all the time. When I mention eating less or counting calories in addition to the exercise I was doing for years people get all bent out of shape for some reason.

My theory is that they're expecting me to have lost it by some seemingly impossible means—diet pills, an extreme diet or exercise plan—so that they can feel better about their own failures to lose weight. If it seems "impossible" to them then they don't have to worry about losing weight. When it's actually not impossible....well they get upset.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 202/195/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
My theory is that they're expecting me to have lost it by some seemingly impossible means—diet pills, an extreme diet or exercise plan—so that they can feel better about their own failures to lose weight. If it seems "impossible" to them then they don't have to worry about losing weight. When it's actually not impossible....well they get upset.
That's so true...when you answer with a "blood, sweat and tears" type response people seem put down...like they were expecting for you to endorse some easy fix?

If weight loss was easy we'd all be slim and trim.
ArtyKay is offline   Reply With Quote