Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #16  

YES!!! Sometimes it bothers me, and other times I don't care. I've found that if I get right to the root of the issue, the offender stops.
Most of the time, if someone would say we were obsessive, I think our natural reaction is to defend ourselves..No, I'm not...I'm trying to eat healthier...and even saying something like I had a slice of cake at Aunt Mary's birthday just yesterday Like somehow we have to justify we aren't obsessive by proving we still eat crap...

Now I get right to the point. I ask them what is lacking in their life to be so concerned with my eating habits. I point out I'm a healthy weight (or moving towards if, if not there yet) and they are not. (Most commenter seem to be over weight themselves...) I tell them that what might seem obsessive to them, is actually a healthy way of eating, and it sad that they are so brainwashed either by an up bringing that did not instill healthy eating habits, or a society that pushes food to make a profit, but either way they are wrong, and they can feel free to go educate themselves on health and nutrition and come back and continue to make their point about what is health and what is actually obsessive (like an eating disorder).

Cold, I know. But I have had enough with people thinking they are entitled to make comments on my body and my choice of eating. My body and eating AND exercise habits have suddenly become a topic that everyone feels they can put in their 2 cents about, since my weightloss has become noticable.

However, I'm sure my family still talks about it when I'm not around. I can't stop that, but at least I don't have to hear it!
Sorry to hijak this thread! Just wish I could have been there to tell your friend to not call you obsessive when you are doing such a great job changing your life for the better!!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #17  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
YES!!! Sometimes it bothers me, and other times I don't care. I've found that if I get right to the root of the issue, the offender stops.
Most of the time, if someone would say we were obsessive, I think our natural reaction is to defend ourselves..No, I'm not...I'm trying to eat healthier...and even saying something like I had a slice of cake at Aunt Mary's birthday just yesterday Like somehow we have to justify we aren't obsessive by proving we still eat crap...

Now I get right to the point. I ask them what is lacking in their life to be so concerned with my eating habits. I point out I'm a healthy weight (or moving towards if, if not there yet) and they are not. (Most commenter seem to be over weight themselves...) I tell them that what might seem obsessive to them, is actually a healthy way of eating, and it sad that they are so brainwashed either by an up bringing that did not instill healthy eating habits, or a society that pushes food to make a profit, but either way they are wrong, and they can feel free to go educate themselves on health and nutrition and come back and continue to make their point about what is health and what is actually obsessive (like an eating disorder).

Cold, I know. But I have had enough with people thinking they are entitled to make comments on my body and my choice of eating. My body and eating AND exercise habits have suddenly become a topic that everyone feels they can put in their 2 cents about, since my weightloss has become noticable.

However, I'm sure my family still talks about it when I'm not around. I can't stop that, but at least I don't have to hear it!
Sorry to hijak this thread! Just wish I could have been there to tell your friend to not call you obsessive when you are doing such a great job changing your life for the better!!
Can I take some of your direct attitude!! I SO NEED IT! It's actually my partner (my girlfriend) that's making the comments. Would you still be that direct? I don't wanna hurt her feelings.......but your right. It is the commenter's issue, NOT MINE. I LOVE your response! LOL I might just print it and pull it out of my pocket to recite next time I hear I'm being obsessive.
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #18  

Hmmm, a partner is different. I apologize, I thought you ment a someone that was just a friend. If my husband were calling me obsessive, I wouldn't plow through his self esteem the way I would someone else. I see a couple as a team, and each has a bit more of a place to express concern for the other. I would try to educate her. Since, this is someone you may want to spend the rest of your life with and you need to keep communcation open. Verses a friend, that if someday you parted ways, it wouldnt be as big a deal. But if anyone else ever says the same thing, school them!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideMe View Post
It's also a lifestyle change that's effecting our relationship too. I'm not sitting in front of the tv pigging out on chips with her anymore.
Is this mindset playing out in the relationship? That's not just what you eat that you're talking about, you know?
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #20  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
Is this mindset playing out in the relationship? That's not just what you eat that you're talking about, you know?
Yeah I think it is. I just don't know where or why or what it is?
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:30 PM   #21  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Well said, GlamourGirl!
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #22  
Skinny cow in the making!

S/C/G: 193/149/126

Height: 5'4

People tell me I've gotten obsessive. I admit I have and I don't think it's a bad thing. I have to be a little obsessive about weight loss because being too "relaxed" got me fat in the first place. Maybe our loved ones don't realise that it's OK to be a bit obsessive? (I am not talking about having an eating disorder just being very vigilant with new healthy habits and sticking to that)

Last edited by Jadeybaby; 11-26-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Jadeybaby is offline   Reply With Quote