Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-25-2010, 10:11 PM   #1  
ars
looking for onederland

S/C/G: 300/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Weight Loss = Acne?

I have been having horrible acne for the past 2 weeks. At first I thought it was TOM related...but it's definitely not at this point. I haven't had acne like this since high school 12 years ago!

I saw some random BBC weight loss show the other day, and a woman on it said that weight loss can lead to acne. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how long did it take to resolve, and did you do anything for your skin to clear it up?

Last edited by ars; 01-25-2010 at 10:11 PM.
ars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I've never heard that before, but if it is true, maybe it will explain a few things about my skin of late. I had really good (maybe one pimple a month) skin until just a few months ago, now the zits are just popping up all the time. I would have thought that eating healthier foods would have cleared up my skin, but maybe it is the whole "it gets worse before it gets better" thing.
effie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:32 PM   #3  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

it did for me too however, the acne has since cleared up... who knows? weight loss/diet change definitely causes changes in skin chemistry, and that could lead to changes...? My skin isn't perfect but it's a lot better.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:05 AM   #4  

It could be changes in hormones, or the foods you eat while dieting. Whenever I eat less though, my skin clears up. I think it's because I consume less dairy. Maybe you're eating too much non-fat yogurt and cottage cheese? Haha. But yeah, dairy products aren't good for your skin. I have a few vegan friends and they all have flawless skin.
badpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:13 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm of no help. I had the complete opposite affect. My skin has improved dramatically. Blemishes are a once in a blue moon thing for me, occurring the second I eat anything off plan.

Also just wondering is there anything else you've recently changed? Shampoo, soap, cleanser, moisturizer, make up?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Are you exercising more? If so, be sure to wash your face IMMEDIATELY after working out, or at least rinse it really well if you don't have cleanser with you.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #7  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Mine flared up when I started losing weight again. Someone told me it was a result of the estrogen released from the burned fat, and that it would get better once my body adjusted. Whether it's the estrogen or not, it has been calming down.

Another possibility is just the life cycle of a pimple (lol). Zits that form come from toxins that existed in the pores for a while. As you lose weight, the toxins stored in fat are expelled (one of the reason bf'ing moms aren't supposed to diet) and are often sent out through the pores. If you have particularly "toxic" fat (again, lol) it's possible that it could cause a breakout.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #8  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Robin, sometimes I think we were twins seperated at birth...(except I'm 7 inches taller than you!)

Like Robin, since losing weight my skin is better than it's ever been. I rarely get a blemish...
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 315.6/Ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

At first I was getting tons of blemishes. everyone kept telling me it was the toxins leaving my body. now my skin is really nice. I also clean my face 1x a day and rinse with water after exercise.
justaloozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #10  
this space for rent

S/C/G: 274/274/140

Height: 5'8"

Acne can happen as a result of a cleanse too. The switch to a healthier diet can result in your body purging out toxins from your body. This can also result in boils too. Once your body adjusts to the changes, the acne flair ups will die out. (I got this from a book that I can't find at the moment,or I'd post it. Essentially it talks about how the body reacts to different foods and food combinations)
eroica27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #11  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Are you exercising more?
I'm with Mayness.

On the blackboard, I'd write the equation thus:

Not weight loss = acne, but

Exercising vigorously with intent to lose weight = sweat rolling down face & sweaty hair, particularly in summer or warm rooms = acne.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:58 PM   #12  
ars
looking for onederland

S/C/G: 300/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Thanks for the replies!

I have not changed any shampoos or beauty products. I actually cannot use makeup (except mascara) because I do have very sensitive skin. As far as exercise, I'm doing really moderate stuff, nothing with pouring sweat yet (years ago, before my joint troubles, when I could really get a good exercise sweat, my skin was awesome). I always shower after exercise and if the shower will be delayed, I wash my face/neck/arms. I'm not big on dairy either...I have some cheese...certainly much less now than I had before changing my eating habits! I don't like yogurt and I don't drink cow's milk.

The only changes I can come up with are weight loss and food. I eat less. I drink more water. I drink less alcohol. I eat more fresh fruits and vegetables. I eat no red meat. I eat very few white flour items. I eat very little sugar. My sodium intake is reduced. All this has me feeling great, but darn that acne!

I am comforted to know that this may be hormonal/toxins and that it should pass!
ars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:30 PM   #13  
GoWear Fit All-Star

S/C/G: 280/266.8/150

I too have started breaking out like crazy. It started about a week after I started eating clean. Hopefully it starts to clear up soon. I feel like a 13 year old again.
mulder1921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 223/168/135

Height: 5'3

Me too! Started exercising and clean eating about a month ago and I'm breaking out with big honkin' zits! I'm hoping they will stop once my body realizes I'm trying to help it not hurt it.
trishlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

My face is def. breaking out A LOT worse since I've been exercising consistently. I believe, for me, that it's because of the sweat... I read on sparkpeople that good ways to prevent it (in this case) is to not wipe your face with your hands & to use a clean towel to pat instead of wipe. I also try to clean my face as soon as I'm done working out..
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote