40 days of juice fasting..here i come

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • Ive been struggling with my body for a long time. Iv struggld to know what to do. But i finally decided. Im going to be starting a fast for 40 days on pure veggies and fruit juices. Ive been reading online about how juice fasting has been useful in treating people with digestive issues. My major issue is that im addicted to bread and wheat and gluten and yet im very intolerant to it..it makes me sick sick sick..but i cant seem to stop..but...ive read up on the benefits and i got my juicer and im ready to go. Please keep in mind its for 40 days and then i embark on a diet of 75% veggies and 25% of meat and dairy..and gluten and wheat will be completely eliminated..i hope that this will help in dealing with my pregnant looking belly and ill feelings i have after eating.. Wish me luck.
  • Are you doing this fast under medical supervision? 40 days of fasting is a Very long time.

I too have problems with bread and associated carbohydrates - not only do they give me fluid retention, internal disorders, and bad skin but one taste, one slice and I'm lost to the whole loaf; I find them very addictive.

I'm currently following a lower-carb diet (Dukan), which, hugely to my surprise, eliminated carb cravings from week one - but is giving me plenty of good food to eat and 13lbs lost in 4 weeks.

I don't have the medical knowledge to offer actual advice but as a fellow human being and body struggler, I would urge you to make sure your doctor is happy with your plans.
    And I do indeed wish you luck!
  • Okay....

If you have problems digesting bread and wheat and gluten, what if...you just didn't eat bread, and wheat, and gluten?

Do you have problems digesting chicken? Or eggs? Or beef? Rice, tofu, fish, seafood, beans, nuts, seeds.... See where I'm going maybe?

Not to assume too much, but if you have issues with food (and don't we pretty much all in here), then I can't even fathom how absolutely difficult it would be to give up solids for 40 days. Not even in theory does it sound plausible.

How many calories will you be able to ingest if you only take in fruits and vegetables? Will you even be able to hit 1200?

If you are planning on taking in fruits in high amounts, have you thought about the abundance of sugars you would also be taking in? Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against fruit whatsoever. It's a part of my balanced diet. But I can maybe imagine how many fruit servings you would have to take in to achieve a livable balance of calories, since vegetables are even lower in caloric intake than most fruits...

I remember when I was quite a bit younger...I was really desperate to lose weight. I went on the Master Cleanse. Lasted 4 days. I can be extremely disciplined, but I had never encountered giving up solid foods before then. It was...difficult, to say the least. And it had nothing to do with the reduced calories, and everything to do with not having solids.

Have you tried doing juicing or a liquid diet before?
    For me, it was a new level of insanity. I started dreaming about real food. After two days.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
    I know that with me, when I chose drastic actions in the past, it was so much more demoralizing to fail because I would, EVERY time, VERY quickly because of how impossible it was for me to keep it up.
  • to answer all the questions:

1) yes i too did the lemon water thing and its insane
    2) by eating veggies and fruits and agave and honey-the combination throughout the day including avocados..should total over 1200..though its a lot of veggies and fruits
    3) while i agree my diet needs to change... i feel the need to do it to kick start myself..and for me im hoping to break the cycle of addiction to bad things while learning how to love the good things-which i currently dont like right now.
    4) it is medically supervised..im having my blood drawn and body stats checked prior to starting tommorw..i also agreed that should their be ANY serious issues or signs of illness while doing it, i agree to stop right away..
  • Well as long as you're medically supervised, I'm going to wish you luck The longest I lasted without eating was a 10 day water fast, so I know how tough cutting out whole food groups can be. Good luck!
  • Good luck.

But remember you can still get a lot of benefits from giving up the gluten and juicing maybe, once a day or so.

I mean, just in case you can't live happily without the solid food. You could eat healthily and then, for example, juice for dinner.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

Anyway, I love juicing and my favorite concoction is either carrots or cucumbers with ginger, lemon, and apple. You could also add coconut milk if you wanted to up your fat intake.

Btw, did you choose the "40" because of the biblical reference?
  • What are you going to do for protein ?
  • I fell compelled to urge you to be careful doing this. I am a vegetarian and I have to CONSTANTLY all day long plan everything I consume to ensure I am getting enough protein. I have slipped up at times and my protein consumption was very low and I felt like crap the whole time. I guess what I am trying to say is, you need to make sure everything you are juicing is high in protein and healthy carbs otherwise you are going to not feel very well. I am only saying this because I have been there. Juicing is a great idea! If you cant do just plain juice all day, make yourself some veggie soups. Alot of times I will take the pulp from the veggie juice and make a soup out of it. That way I am getting the fiber from the pulp as well. Also I dont like waste!
  • Would a protein powder (such as natural hemp) work?

You could also make your own almond milk or cashew cream. Both are quite easy.
  • Who's doing the medical supervision?
  • Good luck! Let us know how it's going.
  • My GP is doing the supervising...

I chose 40 from the biblical refrence..
    So far this morning..its going awesome
  • a friend from work is using "reboot your life"... he is on his last day of 60 days and says he feels great...i know it's not for me, but it may be worth checking out...http://jointhereboot.com/
  • Best of luck....40 days is a long time to go without eating.
  • Personally I think this is a bad idea specifically because it isn't teaching you what you really need to learn - good eating habits.

The second reason I think this is a bad idea is that the lack of protein is going to mean a much greater loss of muscle than you would ordinarily lose while dieting.

The third reason this is a bad idea in my opinion is that if you're planning on downing 1200 calories of veggies and fruits that means that a huge number of your calories are coming from sugar. How is this going to help your carb addiction?

The fourth reason this is a bad idea in my opinion is that you are going to be very hungry. Dispite the fiber your liquid diet is going to do little to satiate you. So if you do manage to stick with the program you're setting yourself up for a big binge down the road.

I would urge you to reconsider. As long as you're doing something medically supervised I would instead suggest a form of a PSMF. Personally the one I would reccomend is "Rapid Fat Loss" by Lyle Mcdonald. It is all whole foods and you would actually be ingesting fewer calories thus losing weight faster and it suffers from none of the drawbacks I've outlined above.

If you have already decided - than I wish you the best of luck. Sincerely I do.