Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/281/130

Height: 5'3"

Default What was it that finally made you decide to lose weight?

I've spent the last five years wanting to lose weight, but really only got serious about it in the last few days. There were just so many things that upset me: I hate how I look, I want to get back into my cute "skinny" clothes, I want to have more energy. But I realized I had to do something about it *right now* when I ran to answer my phone the other day and found myself trying not to sound out of breath during the conversation. Ugh, that's terrible!
Rebecca8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #2  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

I think I have spent most of my adult life either wanting to or trying to lose weight...and I have before, but always put it back on.

On 12/14/10, I decided I had had enough. Enough excuses, enough knee pain, enough feeling like I couldn't take control of my weight. So I did.
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #3  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

I went to a friend's baby shower and she tagged me in a photo on facebook. I hated the picture so much I was about to untag myself and I thought "If you don't like what's in the picture then change it. Untagging it is only denial."

I shut down the computer and made my lunch for the next day trying to make it as healthy as possible, and taking portion size into consideration.

Last edited by PreciousMissy; 10-24-2011 at 11:25 AM.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #4  
Dependapotomaus, no more!

S/C/G: 259/168/145

Height: 5'4

My husband lost 50 lbs over the past two years and is now in AMAZING shape. I don't want people to wonder, "what is HE doing with HER?!". He deserves a wife who is as hot (or hotter) than him.
Lambiechop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #5  
Lok'tar Ogar!

S/C/G: 248.6/ticker/170

Height: 5'9

I think my biggest reason (besides the obvious want to look better, have more energy, etc) is the medical reasons behind it. I have PCOS and losing weight could really help me with some of the symptoms that come with that or even eliminate it as in some cases. My Father and Grandmother (who passed away last summer) both have diabetes and so I'm at a higher risk.

I don't want to let all this control my life and give up. I am young. I want a beautiful long future and life. And it's up to me to do it.
Soft Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #6  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Hmm, wow -- a lot of things.

1) I wanted my happy back.
2) I started running out of excuses why I couldn't go out for drinks with my friends.
3) I was spending a ton of money on my weekend binge food fests.
4) It became a struggle turning over in bed and I kept waking up.
5) I was tired of feeling my chin hair poke me in the chest because my double chin forced it down. (I have since ridded myself of the hair AND the double chin )
6) I needed something to control in my out of control life.

There are a ton more but sadly health concerns are not one of them. I realize that now, however.

Good luck in your journey sweetie! Stay positive, stay motivated and stay on plan! It's time for you to find YOUR happy!
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 169.75/125/125

Height: 5'2.75"

Mine was a simple but slightly sad motivation - I felt uncomfortable when using my laptop. It sounds silly and I totally admit that but I could feel two rolls of back fat touch when I was sitting to use it and it just felt really awkward and uncomfortable. I decided then that I needed to lose weight because I was not having that and fortunately it was one of the first areas to disappear as I started losing weight.
d130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #8  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

I've struggled with weight all my life and had pretty much given up on myself. Then, in June, I had a kidney stone removed and was told that I needed to eliminate some of my favorite foods: chocolate and nuts. That got me going (I always cringed at the idea of being a burden on the health care system) . I still eat small bits of those foods but much more mindfully than before and that helps me be mindful of my intake in general. I've been using Lose It to track my calories and it has worked really well for me. I also exercise daily and my knees and back don't hurt anymore, so I'm feeling much better physically as wel as emotionally.
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #9  

Lots of good reasons, lots of good motivation! You made me smile and encouraged me to go get on the treadmill.

Last edited by Rebecca8; 10-24-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #10  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

high blood pressure...240/147 all the time. Had every symptom (migraine clusters put me in the ER once a week, constant dull pain in the back of my head, numb fingers and face, water retention of it at the age of 30, etc.). I wanted to to diet. I was fat, out of shape and ate all the wrong things to boot...I was going down. I wanted to go on a cruise, but didn't want to feel the way I felt and looked the way I look so on July 12, 2008 I changed my life cold turkey.

Today...hbp is normal 112/78...went from 5 medications down to 1 that keeps away the only hbp symptom I own today which is water retention. I went from 223lbs down to 163lbs today and I went from a size 20 to a 6 today.

Had I not changed my life I think I would have ended up with a stroke or a heart attack...or maybe some kidney illness. Never know and don't want to know. It was the physical pain that made me do it. I really didn't want to die or live in pain and regret it in my old age if I made it there. I'm glad the pain happened while I was young (I'm currently 33) and not when I'm old when it's too late to change anything.

Last edited by SBD Sass; 10-24-2011 at 03:59 PM.
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #11  

Wow, SBD Sass - I'm so impressed! Good for you!
Old 10-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #12  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

I lived my whole life tiny and athletic. (I know...roll your eyes! LOL) But I got married, pregnant and fat. I went on bedrest with my 1st at 24 weeks, and just ate and sat...ate and sat. I never lost the weight after him, got preggo again. I did get down to the 150s after my 2nd baby, but life and stress-eating crept it back up to the 160s. Moving to our current location and truly hating it for the 1st year left me very depressed and I got to my highest weight.

But it wasn't clothes or even looks. One day I had to heft myself off the couch. Like actually do the rocking move and use extra effort. It all just hit me then. All the times that I was out of breath doing ANYTHING. I knew I was overweight, but I just thought I could live with it. Everything else was, and still is, pretty great.

But that inability to move like a normal person REALLY bothered me.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I'm like you...I spent a lot of my teen and early adult years saying "I want to" but doing nothing about it. I don't know how many times I made a plan to eat less, eat better, work out or whatever, and didn't follow through for some excuse or another.

Then I got married on July 4, 2007. I'd been pulling my same old "I'm gonna" routine for about a month before that, and continued it a few weeks after. Then, on July 31, I just woke up and was DONE with it all. I didn't want to be a woman who put on weight after she got married and comfortable. I decided I wanted to be healthy for my husband, myself and our future children, so I'd be around a long time for them. I started eating better and working out, and never looked back.

I think everyone can have that "Ah-ha!" moment where they are just DONE with being overweight, and it clicks that something can be done.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #14  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I've been alternately struggling with my weight and giving up on it since high school. In 2003 I was at my all time high when I tore my ACL. I thought that was my final straw - I lost about 40 pounds in the 6 months surrounding surgery. I eventually put about 20 pounds of it back on.

This time there were several moments that got my attention. I was on vacation, and sat on the bus next to a very pear shaped friend. We barely fit, and our fat bubbled up between us. I got a painful sore in a skin fold. And the most disturbing, I went bridesmaid dress shopping. I was wearing size 20-22 jeans at the time. The shop told me they'd have to order a 28 (the biggest it came in!) and then alter it so it would drape properly over my belly. That was it. I did NOT want to be the obese bridesmaid in my friend's wedding photos. I lost enough weight before the wedding that they had to cut 4 inches out of that dress.

I'm learning a lot about myself this time, so I'm optimistic that I am really figuring "it" out.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #15  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I have never been slim or even at the higher end of normal weight. One of my earliest memories is my 5-yr-old brother setting up my mother's Jane Fonda's New Workout video for me so that 3-yr-old me, wouldn't be teased anymore for being fat by relatives. I actually didn't mind my weight until college where it started to get my self-esteem down.

What finally motivated me was the usual: seeing some awful christmas pictures of myself, seeing a really good friend lose a large amount of weight AND boredom. I was bored of my own "I'm fat, I'm sad and unattractive" rhetoric. I was tired of being tired of being fat and bored of feeling dissatisfied with myself. Like I just felt like I deserved to for once find out if there was more to me than a great personality ( if I do say so myself) hidden under pounds of self-dissatisfaction.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote