headache from sugar withdrawal

• I cut out soda 2 days ago. and today I started getting a bad headache in the temples and forehead has anyone gotten this from cutting down on sugar? If so when did it begin and what part of the head was it in?
  • It might be caffeine withdrawal. When I cut out coffee cold turkey a few years back I had massive headaches. I'm pretty sure the pain was prominent at the sides of the forehead area, so around my temples.

I've cut out sugar from my diet before and I haven't had any headaches from that. So I'm not 100% sure but it could be a symptom of withdrawal from the caffeine as sodas have quite a bit of it.
  • Whenever I have a sugar bender, (most every time I fall off the wagon it's because of freaking sugar) Day 2-5ish I feel like crap. I usually have massive anexiety and headaches, (I get icepick headaches). You'd think that would be a good enough reason for me to stay away from it, but no, I like to suffer for some stupid reason.

...in the past it was the reason I didn't stay away from it.
  • I'd blame it on the caffeine. I've had this too if I've cut back on it cold turkey. I went sugar free for about 6 months and never had any headaches. Unless you replaced with pop with coffee or something else, I'd guess the caffeine.
  • Thats def caffeine withdrawal from no more soda. I have always dealt with this. Perhaps drinks some a little tea to maybe take the edge off? Tea doesn't have much caffeine but look for one that says it does, it might be enough to help you ween yourself off?? Best of luck!!
  • I'd say it's the caffeine. Try diet soda:
    no calories, but STILL get the caffeine = no more headache.
  • Quote: A lot of people don't realize that carbohydrates are sugars, and only go by what is labeled "sugar free" or reading the label for sugars themselves. There are a LOT of foods that are very high in carbohydrates, but aren't blatantly high in "sugar," but one will have the same effects as blatant sugars.
    Actually, I really did check everything. No HFCS, no fruit juice, etc. I switched to whole wheat everything and cut back on fruit too. In general, I still eat that way but I do have chocolate every now and then (working on making that just once a week at the moment ). However, I've had the same amount of coffee pretty much the whole time. I'm starting to try to cut back on that slowly but I do get headaches from the withdrawal (and I miss it like crazy, I'm definitely addicted!).
  • I get headaches from cutting out both sugar and caffeine. I think for the OP, it's very likely a combination of both assuming she was drinking caffeinated soda.

You can either suck it up and get through the next couple of days and be off (or at least have dramatically reduced) both sugar and caffeine and be good to go, or you can switch to diet soda or coffee/tea with artificial sweetener. Depends on what your ultimate goal is around both sugar and caffeine.
  • I should have said this before but I have replaced the soda with tea(no sugar added)
  • Quote: I should have said this before but I have replaced the soda with tea(no sugar added)
    Depending on the tea it may or may not have caffeine.

What you describe sounds like caffeine - not sugar.
  • I have teh same effects from both caffeine and sugar. The thing to keep in mind is that it does go away, and most likely it will lessen each day and should be gone by a week. Just give yourself some TLC-- take naps, expect to lay in bed a little extra, and then after a week or so, you should be back to normal and off the caffeine/sugar.