Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 06:49 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #306

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It warmed up enough today to turn the streets into a sloppy mess! Now my garage will have puddles from the clumps falling off and melting. Sheesh!

Maggie -- How about scanning a picture of you in your new "do?" I'd like to try something different but seem to end up with about the same . . . my hair has a mind of it's own it seems.

Donna -- I watched some of the pregame hype yesterday. I always pick "my" teams by the color of their uniform (red) and it drives the rest of my family nutty. I do not understand football nor do I want to learn. Jason played for 7 years and we never missed a game regardless of the weather. I always said I went to make sure he got up from the pile; the coach didn't think that was too funny. After Jason got out of high school the coaches set up a Mom Workshop to explain the plays to the mothers who didn't understand the game.

Gloria -- It's nice you are close enough to babysit. I am looking forward to that even though we live about a little over an hour away. The problem is they won't leave him yet, which I can understand. When he's hungry he wants his mom and RIGHT NOW!

I need to get busy and pick up a little. I think maybe I have found a home for my latest orphan. He/she is such a people kitten that I just have to find it a people home. Another teacher is hoping to talk her husband into coming for peek tonight. Keep your fingers for me!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 01-28-2003, 12:42 AM   #2  
Thin Within

JEAN OK you have paid me back. I started the new thread earier today and then you started this one so I deleted it and moved my post over here. I don't have a scanner so can't scan my hair but if you get the catalogue called CHICO there are only two models in it and it is the hairdo that the blond has. It looks exactly like mine now but my hair is red. When I had it like that when I was a teen it looked just like hers - blond.

Here is what I posted earlier today:

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

What a glorious day in the neighboor hood this day has been. We went to get our mail which is about a 20 mile ride from here and we could take the freeway or back roads which we much prefer. We put the top down and proceeded down a boulevard that has trees and wonderful plants all along the center of the roads with gardeners always keeping it looking like a long narrow park. Pulled into a small Mexican Restaurant in the next town called Evita's and had carnitas. Then off down another road to Main Street and down the Avenue which is always so colorful with people. Thorugh the green hills covered with trees with a few bare spots that are cloaked in luscious green grass and blooming buttercups ~ and to the post office where Cowboy parked on a side street and I stayed in the car. A beautiful lady walked by and smiled at me and said, "Great car, and you look so good in it!" Yep that was another ego booster! Then over to the book store that has those outside bookshelves that ring around the block where we picked up some more Tom Clancy books that follow the ones we have been reading. On the way home we came back down that Main Street once again and stopped for coffee where I got a sugar free fat free latte. While sitting and sipping we were of course serenaded briefly, thank goodness, by those deaf kids that want to play thier boom boom's so loud to make the world around them also deaf. Life is good.

Have a wonderful evening all.
Old 01-28-2003, 07:29 AM   #3  

Good morning ladies!

Jean: My son only played little league and I was team mom so there you go on that! Jay was a artist and enjoyed sports just to goof off with it but not competitive. He would rather draw and paint. Sadly, he didn't follow through with it, but is still quite talented. doing murals for restaurants and t-shirt designs etc occasionally for friends. He painted this guys leather jacket for him and it is gorgeous.

Maggie: I am a short hair freak. I can't stand it when my hair gets long. Oh how I wish we could see yours. I am about ready to change hairstyles again. I hate mine. It is too long for me. I like it really really short almost spiky. I have been wearing it sort of like Liza Minnelli style, but it looks icky on me I think. I just have to convince Lee (my hairdresser) that I want to cut it all off. My hairdresser is so funny. I color my hair all the time (have since I was 14) and forget which red I use all the time so kind of dance around to different colors. (I am a natural blond, but as you get older the blond gets dingier so I went red and my hubby loves it) Anyway, I go in about every 6 weeks and he always gushes about my new hair color. I just pretend I know what the heck I was doing. The only one that went bad on me was Nutrisse Garnier's Copper. Honeeeeey is is ORANGE! At the time I worked for this very austere and hoity toity law firm and show up looking like a bad bozo the clown. I just pretended it was what I had intended and put up with the disapproving looks from the managing partner; the old goat!

Well, I need to go downstairs and start chores so I can get out there and walk walk walk. I was so excited. I have big feet and found a pair of walking shoes that will fit me online. My husband swears by New Balance and found me a good pair.

Have a great day
Donna
Old 01-28-2003, 01:12 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Arrow Tuesday in the morning

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a bit overcast but I bet it misses a good chance to rain. I am getting ready to do some glass cutting. My bro in law commissioned me to make a dragonfly for my niece and I have a pattern drawn and ready to do some serious work. Doing sun catchers isn't my forte but since he asked..... mine are special anyway.

DONNA hair is fun. During my school years I always wore mine short and experimented with colors. Then as I got older I let it grow and did lots of neat do's with it up. Then I decided to get it all cut off and here I sit. It is funny about the color I have. Everyone that uses the same color won't have the same results though. Everytime I go to a shop there is someone in there wanting to go red and points to me and says that is what I want. Well they can't do just what I do to get this color because they don't start out with the same shade of my natural hair. It is funny but I am happy with what I get just doing it at home and then all those ladies want the same shade but just can't have it. You will find a style that really suits you. Look at pictures in catalogues and magazines for ideas. I knew exactly what I wanted and found a picture to reflect it to take to the hairdresser to follow. That is super that your husband found some shoes for your walking adventures. You go girl but step carefully.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:35 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon Magnolias,

Gray and cold in our part of the world..........maybe some snow later.

Happened to see Dr. Phil this morning. He did his second show on obesity today. Go to his website: DrPhil.com, what else? He has what he calls his litmus logic test, and it makes so much sense!

To day is WI, hope it's as good as last week was. I've been better about drinking water and exercising. We'll see. After such a good loss last week, I'm a little skeptical.

Love the hair conversation My hair was a streaky blonde as a kid, thanks to Florida living.........sun, chlorine, and more sun. After my son was born the hair became a dark brown. In fact, my aunt and grandmother accused me of dying it..........and who has time to be messing with hair color with a baby around? Not this chick. Anyway, my "good hair fairy" said she was going to highlight it in Dec...............it's now very streaky blonde, and I love it. Have had many compliments on it. I'm with youall with the short hair........I had pigtails when I was nine, but it's been short ever since. When it gets down over my turtlenecks, it's time to cut it.

Check out Dr. Phil.
Happy Monday,
Bubs
Old 01-28-2003, 05:30 PM   #6  
Web Nana

Good Evening Magnolias

Posted yesterday and it went to the 2nd page. I answered some questions so I thought I would copy it here so I don't have to answer them again.

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS
Just a short note this evening. We are going to DD#1 to stay with Cam/9 while she is at the Town Meeting. She is a Town Meeting Member and must attend to the doings about town some 4-5 evenings each time they call a meeting. It is easier on Cam if we go there so he can go to bed at his usual time. Some meetings run as late as 10-10:30 PM.

JOYCE: DH is retired AF. He was in the National Guard over 20 yrs. and was called to active service in 61 during the Berlin Wall Crisis. We had just had our 3rd child in under 3yrs. and also, had just moved into our present home. Not two days later Pres. Kennedy announced the call up. DH was in France for a year and I had the'joy' of 3 very young youngsters to care for. I lived!!!!
As it turned out he suggested I come over for two weeks in the middle of his tour as he had leave coming. After farming out the kids I met him in Paris and we had a two week second honeymoon (we hadn't been married 5 yrs yet). Went down thru the Riveria and on to Rome then back to Paris and I came home much more able to face the second six months. We usually get to Bedford AB once a month or 6 weeks. They have a great Commissary and BX. Have to watch the prices though as not all is cheaper there.

DONNA: I can understand how difficult it was for you when you hubby was away for 3 yrs. I don't think I had it so bad at all. We have the Commissary at Bedford, about 1 hr away, but there have been many rumors that the base may close...no date given.
The only other base is on the Cape, closer but much smaller.

MAGGIE: Glad you are enjoying your new hair cut. It is great to have so many people say you are looking younger with it. We can always use a little boost to our egos. Keep enjoying those top down trips.

Gloria in MA.....back from Bedford and all the groceries are put away and now it is time to think of supper. Have a warm nite all...it is getting warmer (20s) here.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:35 PM   #7  
One Day At A Time

Good Afternoon

All this talk of red hair - Mine is dark brown almost black with pretty white things in it. If I am outside a lot I get auburn highlights. Does that count? Actually red is a family gene but not me.

Maggie - Nice comments about you and your car!!! Red one? Didn't you have a red truck for towing? Ours is bright red!! Love it... Now we just need to retire and gooooo.............

I went to lunch today at LePeep's. Some of you may have heard of it. Met DS and GD4 there. She is so cute. We colored. And I was OP.

Hope you all have a wonderful evening!!
Old 01-29-2003, 12:55 AM   #8  

Red face

Good Evening, Flowers!
It is past my bedtime but I took a short snooze in front of the TV tonight so feel wide awake, sort of. I wanted to check in here before calling it a day.

We had freezing rain this morning and it was not nice out. Several schools around us had 2 hour late starts and a few were cancelled after all. It started raining about 6:30 and by the time I got to school at 7:30, the parking lot was like a skating rink. Our superintendent is out of town and I guess the next person in charge wasn't on the ball or else didn't have the nerve to make the call, I don't know which. One teacher ended up in the ditch and another one didn't bother to drive in from another town. We got out a whole 15 minutes early this afternoon so the kids could clear out of the parking lot before the buses came to unload and reload.

Maggie -- I'm sorry, I didn't see that you had started another thread. I just noticed #305 had started the 2nd page. I am going to see if Chico is online -- I've never heard of that catalog. I just got a southwestern catalog and I thought of you. I think I get it because Bob's brother sent us the Arizona magazine for awhile. I could just picture your drive to get your mail and it sounds beautiful! You are about due for another chapter from the parking lot, aren't you? Do you have a favorite brand of hair color that you use? I think I told you that my hairdresser tried mine once and I wasn't happy with it; it was much too dark and by the time I liked the color it was time to do it again. My hair is weird in that it has turned gray (silver?) starting with a streak on the top and then has slowly spread on down to the sides. My back is still pretty dark.

Donna -- We have many talented students in our HS art classes and I am always in awe of them. Most of them are Asian students and take the advanced classes very seriously. I have absolutely no artistic talent whatsoever. I have NB shoes and really like them although they were pricey. What brand of hair color do you like? I may get brave and try mine again.

Bubbles -- I will check out Dr. Phil; I get home too late to watch him but I always enjoyed him when he was on Oprah. I missed WI tonight because everything was cancelled due to the weather. I was in hopes I had lost since I have been "good" pretty much all week. After I had my daughter my hair got very dark and my mom wanted to know if I had dyed it. Like you said, when would I have time?!

Gloria -- Glad to see you over here! I did read your post on the other thread yesterday though. At least I think it was yesterday. It's 25 degrees here tonight and we are supposed to get some snow during the night.

Joyce -- Retirement is sounding better and better all the time! I keep telling DH I could be a pink lady volunteer at the hospital.
LePeep's sounds like it should have baby chicks "peeping" in the window.

It's time for bed I think. Have a wonderful Wednesday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 01-29-2003 at 12:58 AM.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:42 AM   #9  

Good morning ladies!

Well it is almost 60 degrees this morning, yippeee but raining cats and dogs so I am definitely going to get wet this am.

Jean, I have used a variety of colors. I prefer L'Oreal brands, but Clairol is good too. In fact, any of you can go to www.clairol.com and register free and then mess around with colors. You can even download you own pic and put hair colors on it to try and hairstyles too. I changed my avatar so you could see what color my hair is this month! Actually, I really like it this shade of red as does dh.

Joyce: I used to go to LePeeps when I lived in Indiana and worked for the law firm. The one in SB was pretty small but it had good food. The ladies and I used to meet for bk before work sometimes.

Boy I had a real hodgepodge dinner last night. Marinated chicken breast in Terriyaki, but the low sodium stuff I found out is loaded with ginger and I hate ginger. I didn't find this out until I had stir fried it with oriental veggies, put it over rice and sat down to eat. YCK! I tossed it all and started over. I still stayed under my calories and fat by quite a bit even sneaking one tiny bite of my husband's italian sausage. He told me I couldl have the last one and I told him to shove it in the disposer or I would eat it!

Jack and I mapped out our itinerary for Las Vegas and I typed it up all nice and neat with different colors for day and evening activities, meals and such! (I tend to go overboard with everything I do) There is sure a ton of stuff to do there. It is definitely more than just gambling anymore.

You all have a nice day and Jean hope your weather clears!

Donna

Last edited by jackslady; 01-29-2003 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:44 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Arrow Humpday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

I am making a quick peek in this morning for in just a couple of minutes we are out the door. Gonna go out in the country again ... we live at the very edge of town anyway. However, we are about a couple miles from the marina and we want to go poking around down there. It is such a beautiful day the ocean should be a joy to watch for a spell. I have found the perfect place to do my walking down there. I figure if I am going to be out there suffering I might as well see some lovely sights.

Everyone have a lovely OP day and you will be glad you did. Catch you on the rebound.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:35 PM   #11  

Spent two hours at the gym this morning. I may not be able to get out of bed tomorrow! Did 15 min. on the treadmill, 20 on the bike, and then spent the better part of an hour doing upper body stuff with the machines............whew! If I didn't earn some exercise points today, there' s no hope.

Jean,
I finally got out an atlas today.........actually I grabbed one in the checkout lane at Wally World. We are due east of Hanibal,Mo. Actually, we're on I 64, so it's a straight shot to St. Louis, I know, and maybe even farther. Kansas City appears to be south of us, but we're not that much farther south than you are, and probably alot higher.

Did I tell y'all I gained .6 this week? My own stupidity.
Have a good one.
Bubs
Old 01-29-2003, 06:47 PM   #12  

Bubs with all that work, you probably skimmed that .6 right off today! You go girl!

I just finished doing our taxes and yippeeee get nearly $2000 back this year. We are thrilled when we break even so this is great. I can do some of the smaller remodeling on the condo we bought a few months ago.

Well, not much going on here. I stayed op today. got in water and that nasty exercising morning and afternoon. I stay amazed at the fact that I have been right on the money for nearly a month without any problems at all. It is so refreshing to know I may have a handle on losing it all once and for all.

You ladies, don't freeze!
D
Old 01-29-2003, 10:31 PM   #13  

Good Evening, Flowers!
It has a damp type cold today and chilling to the bone! It snowed big huge fluffy flakes off and on all day; it would have been a beautiful Christmas snow.

Donna -- Thanks for posting your picture! What are you holding in your hand? I'll check out the Clairol site for sure. Thanks! Are you going to Las Vegas for a vacation or a business meeting? DH went there once, on business, but I didn't go. I'd like to go just to say I've been there. I'm not much of a gambler but would love to take in the shows and just people watch. You will have to give us a full report when you get back. When are you going?

Maggie -- I'm glad someone in the flower patch is having nice weather! Send some my way please! I hope you enjoyed your ride and your walk.

Bubbles -- You will have that tiny gain gone in no time! I know just what you meant by "my own stupidity!" That has become my theme song I'm afraid. Sounds like you had a good workout at the gym . . . that should be worth .6# right there! I am going to have to dig out my atlas and see just where you are; I put it away when I was cleaning for the shower a few weeks ago.

I need to fold some towels and decide what I am going to wear tomorrow. Have a terrific Thursday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 01-30-2003, 05:49 PM   #14  
One Day At A Time

My boss thinks I have to work this afternoon but I had to sneak in here for a minute.

I went to WW at noon. Had a very nice surprise. I lost 3.0#. My total is now 79.0... So I have lost all my vacation gain plus a little more....

Maggie - Such suffering having to walk on a beach.... I love being at the beach. I'd even do my walking there. Today is weigh in for you too?

Jean - I really don't like cold, damp weather either. Had enough of that in my youth. .. We desperately need some moisture here. So dry!!!! They are hoping we get some the end of the week. Of course I'd prefer rain over snow. But I will take what we can get..

I have to get back at it. I have 45 minutes then we are going to meet ds and family for dinner at Applebee's. I've already checked Dotti's site and have my plan mapped out.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:40 PM   #15  

Talking

Good Evening, Flowers!
It was a very dreary day in my corner of the world today. It was foggy this morning and just stayed gloomy all day. Everything is covered with dirty slop!

We've had some excitement at our house! We have a new "pet" . . . . a BAT! During Christmas vacation one of the cats took a flying leap to the top of the hutch and sort of did a bird dog point to the wall. Night before last, DH came home from the office and heard a chirping sort of noise in the same general location. We have a local "batman" and he told DH that bats are an endangered species and are not supposed to be killed. They find where the bat is getting in and put some sort of "thing" in place so that they can get out but not back in. My fear is that then they will be hanging around in my trees! The batman seemed to think that they would never come on into the house because of the cats. I hope he is right!

Joyce -- CONGRATULATIONS on the fantastic loss! "Weigh" to go, girl! Lunch at Applebee's sounds like fun; what did you have?

I don't have school tomorrow so am planning a major trip to the grocery store. Beth is coming home and there is literally no food in the house. I'm helping with a baby shower on Sat. and hope to squeeze a visit with Ian in there someplace.

Have a fantastic Friday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Closed Thread