Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #16  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbykins View Post
My diet is pretty much 2 fruit a day, 3 portions of veggies, two portions of something with carbs (noodles, rice, bread all as brown as possible), 3 portions of low fat milk products and one egg. I only drink water and once in a while sugarless juice.
I don't know what portions mean but ...

2 fruit - 200 calories
3 veggie - 50-100 calories? (Depends a whole lot on the veggie)
2 portions carbs - 300 calories?
3 portions (8oz each?) of low fat (2%) milk - 360 calories
1 egg - 80 calories

So you're somewhere around 1050 calories + you're doing a relatively decent amount of exercise.

If I'm right about your calories than you have an easy problem to solve.

Also - your protein intake is low. You're hovering around 40g of protein a day by my estimates.

If you're actually getting 1800 calories a day and not what I'm estimating than I would think this is a hormonal issue and the burger/fries/soda gave you a tempory fix by lowering cortisol levels and increasing leptin levels.

EDIT
[Please note - I'm not a Dr and I don't play one on TV. If increasing calories doesn't help I'd try to see an endocronologist]

Last edited by JohnP; 09-03-2011 at 08:30 PM.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #17  
is chubby

The carb portions I eat are about 300 calories each, 2 slices of square bread or 85gr of pasta/rice. I use portions from a lala cook book my mom gave me
Low carb isn't for me. I tried it and it made me lose my appetite, as in totaly. I want to lose healthy and slow, so I appreciate having an appetite.

I have an apointment with the endocrinologist this thursday. I would not leave this to chance of course. But just in case the tests are clean like the other ones in the hospital I wanted some ideas on what to change first in my diet.

My aunt (a skin-doctor hehe) said I might need a month of maintenance to let my body get used to being 19 pounds lighter before losing more. It isn't really her field but she might be right. What do you think?

Has anyone of you made maintenance breaks between losing? I mean on purpose and not plateaus.
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #18  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

So then by your math you're eating 1300 calories a day. Probably not so low that it would be causing this problem but it would be easy to raise your calories to see what effect it has.

Generally speaking there is no need to take a break if one is eating sufficient calories when you lose 19 lbs but what is sufficient in one person is not sufficient in the next. 1300 seems like it would be plenty but as I mentioned your protein intake is too low - but not WAY too low.

As for low carb not working - I don't see a problem with your fat intake being too low. It would be nice if you were supplemtning with omega 3 fish pills since your O6/O3 ratio is going to be really poor with your diet but that wouldn't cause your probem either.

As for breaks - I am a big believer in them personally but in most cases they are more for a psychological break than a needed physiological break but - your doctor may have more answers.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #19  

What Lucky72 said! When you become a vegetarian you can't just cut meat from tour diet, you really should add some of the things Lucky72 listed. I was vegetarian for years and vegan for little less than a year. Also you really need to have fat in your diet. A little olive oil on a salad or avocados . Maybe you'd benefit from seeing a nutritionist. They can help a lot!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #20  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Remember that routine bloodwork and x-rays can't tell you that you're perfectly healthy, they can only tell you that there were no obvious health problems (I learned this as a result of mysterious health issues that turned out to be fibromyalgia and autoimmune disease - but most of the routine tests were perfectly normal. It took a lot of persistance on my part and on my doctors' to discover the root issues).

I do think that fat, protein, salt, and/or calorie levels are the likeliest culprits (either one or several of them). You can start experimenting to see what helps.

More protein doesn't mean you have to return to meat, and nor does it mean that you need to follow a low-carb diet. For some reason, moderate-carb diets don't get much attention. I have to cut carbs significantly, but I don't feel well on a very low-carb diet. In the past, I always thought this meant that low-carb diets were bad AND (my bigger mistake) instead of choosing a moderately low or medium-level carb diet I would return to a very high-carb diet. I never tried "the middle."

I'm still learning what the ideal carb-level is for me, but I've definitely learned that it isn't very low-carb, and it isn't very-high carb.

Your protein, fat and calorie levels do seem to be quite low from what you've described. so you may literally just need to eat a little more. Maybe just eating more will help, or maybe you'll have to pinpoint what you're missing. You can try to do it on your own, but I'd really recommend consulting a dietitian.

Some people don't do well on a strict vegetarian diet, even when they do get adequate protein and vitamins. However you are eating some animal protein (the eggs and dairy), but you're eating a very low proportion of protein.

Sodium level still could be an issue, even if your blood levels of sodium were normal. Although I'd consider sodium only after exploring the other possibilities.

Because this is a pretty serious health issue, I wouldn't spend a lot of time experimenting on your own (unless you see dramatic improvement after upping your fat, calories and/or protein).

Regardless, I would also recommend seeing a dietitian (I'd recommend making sure the person has credentials. In the USA, anyone can call themselves a nutritionist even without any education at all. However, a dietician needs to be certified, meeting specific educational and experiential requirements and must pass the qualifying exam and may even need to meet continuing education requirements).

Physicians (at least in the US) don't get much if any nutrition education, in the course of earning their degree. So you may not find much help from the medical community.

I don't know if this is as true in Greece, but it's something to check up on. Make sure that the "expert" you consult really is an expert.

If it persists and doesn't respond rapidly to diet changes, you might consider seeing an endocrinologist because they would be familiar with hormonal and other endocrine problems and issues like diabetes, hypoglycemia, reactive hypoglycemia, thyroid and adrenal conditions....
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #21  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I have to second (third, fourth etc ) what many others are saying above. I would guess your fat/protein levels are too low. Some people can pull off high carb/low fat and protein diets but not everyone.

I used to be a vegetarian and at one point I just couldn't anymore. No matter how much fat/protein I would eat it just wasn't enough and I would get really weak/dizzy. While I like the idea of being a vegetarian I just couldn't pull it off. Incorporating meat back in my life really helped a lot. However, it sounds like for you I would start first working on getting much more fat and protein through cheese/eggs/avocados/beans/nuts etc.

I also agree with what kalpoids said. I'm basically doing lowish/moderately low carb. If I go really low carb I'm prone to cheating but where I'm at now seems to work well, although like she said it's always a balancing act.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 265/185/160

Height: 5'6

I agree, protein might be your issue. I find if I am short on protein I get really tired and moody!
TL0812 is offline   Reply With Quote