Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #16  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I'm one who weighs herself way too many times during the week. I'm working on not doing that because for me it overwhelming has more of a negative effect than positive or helpful. So, good for you getting rid of your scale!

I confuse my bf comparing numbers from different days of the week, and different times of the day, so my take on that Q is -- if you want to use a scale -- to stick to one weigh in at the relative same time of day, over the same period of time (a week, a month, every day, whatever). My thought on that is the ups and downs will even out and you'll see a rise and fall over an even stretch. What the scale is able to tell you is how your body is changing total weight wise over time, and that's it, period.

Once you start going by uneven time periods, I think it can be harder to get an idea of your real rate of body weight change.

I wanted to add that I've seen my weight go down by as much as a lb from say 7am to 9am, and I cannot explain the ins and outs of that one! That's why I think sticking to the same time of day helps too.

Last edited by dragonwoman64; 09-01-2011 at 10:11 AM.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #17  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydays View Post
Question for everyone (mzKiki, sorry to threadjack, but I think this is relevant here): Let's say you weigh in officially once weekly, but you weigh a couple of times before that "official" weigh in. There's a significant difference in your earlier weigh in--let's say a pound and half or two pounds lower than your regular weigh in day. Which weight would you count?
I have my "official" WI day - Sunday mornings, and that is the one I count. But I will confess that I do give myself the little cushion of that weigh in being a couple of hours later than on weekdays, and that makes a difference (TMI but I usually pee an extra time or two which is why I think it's a little bit lower). So maybe because of that, the Sunday WI has always been my lowest for the week, counting back to the prior Sunday. So I haven't had to pick whether to go with a lower weight, but I am still comparing my weight week over week, weighing in at about the same time each week.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #18  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydays View Post
Question for everyone (mzKiki, sorry to threadjack, but I think this is relevant here): Let's say you weigh in officially once weekly, but you weigh a couple of times before that "official" weigh in. There's a significant difference in your earlier weigh in--let's say a pound and half or two pounds lower than your regular weigh in day. Which weight would you count?
I weigh every day. Once - in the morning, after my first potty, before breakfast or even coffee! -and always ALWAYS completely naked (I do not CARE what my clothes weigh! ) I've done the experiment of weighing 2x a day. I always weigh more in the evening, NATURALLY!-after a day's worth of food intake. I take the 1st morning weigh-in to be my "true weight". Why? Because I simply like it better! It's "happier". And I'm all about making me happy!!

Now I watch my weight go up a pound or sometimes two pounds and then back down again. My daily recordings in August are up/down/stay-the-same from 165.8 to 161.0, but show a TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS OF 4.5 lb. And it's the OVERALL weight loss that I'm after, so

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 09-01-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #19  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyJee View Post
It's so funny how different things work for different people! It reminds me that we are all so unique and human and pretty damn special...

For me, the scale is the equivalent of my most honest friend. And she only tells me something when I ask (stepping on the scale). I may not always like what she tells me, but I know she only tells me the truth, and she forces me to always be honest too. I love her.
Oh, SunnyJee - what a positive way to look at the scale! She only tells you the truth, and only when you ask her!!
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote