Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-30-2011, 12:18 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
I used to eat just eggs+veggies for breakfast but my nutritionist wants me to eat more whole grains so, eh, hence the toast and cheese there (she actually said that exact breakfast). She also wants me to work on eating more fruit so I have been eating more than normal.

I suppose it could be the addition of more fruit and whole grains too? I forgot to mention in the OP that that was one thing the nutritionist wanted me to change.
I'm wondering why your nutritionist wants you to do this. Adding those foods would be the end of me. My therapist, just this morning, was saying "well maybe you could have just half a bagel..." But the problem with that is all the food that comes AFTER the bagel.

Also, I couldn't ever do low fat like you're doing because I'd be hungry. I don't eat all that many cals, but a lot of them are fat, otherwise I'd never make it. I can make it on 1200 cals fine if it's 60-70% fat -- and never feel hungry, even when my daily feeding comes around.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #17  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Thanks everyone for your comments and ideas!

I tried cutting back to one piece of bread this morning and adding an egg. I also skipped the fruit. Well, it's an hour away from lunch and I'm fine!!!! I think that extra piece of bread+fruit, and cutting back too much on the eggs was really doing a number on me. It was crazy because I really felt panicky because of how deprived I felt.

As to why the nutritionist suggested that? Well, I honestly think it's probably a cultural thing. I live in a country where rice and bread are MAJOR stables of the diet and the S. Beach Diet is pretty much unheard of here. I'm going to try talking to her about it more. She did have some suggestions that have worked well for me (switching from a piece of bacon to using olive oil to help make my eggs in the morning, working on portion sizes etc).

I actually did tell her I had doubts about adding in the bread but she tried telling me that if it was whole grain that it would be fine. Turns out it wasn't.

Ugh, and one complaint. I was on the bus today and there was a lady on there hacking up a lung and not covering her mouth at all. I'm so scared that I'm going to get sick AGAIN! It's already been a month, I just can't stand this anymore. I washed my hands the second I got to work, and am drinking water like crazy too. I'm also planning on going to bed early tonight just in the hopes of avoiding another cold.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #18  
June

Default I think I can do this!

I had my follow-up meeting with my nutritionist and we talked about some of the problems that I was having with hunger. She actually suggested moving that bread to later on in the day and I could then eat the egg+cheese or yogurt in the morning because she wanted me to have a more balanced meal. That should work fine. She's making sure I eat regular snacks that combine fruit with protein. I started today and I definitely feel full!

She really did a great job looking at my lifestyle and making small changes. I totaled up the calories for today (well, with what I'm planning on eating for dinner) just to see an example and it was under 1400 and I really do feel satisfied at this point and feel like it's doable.

One thing that she has me doing is having more variety in my meals and taking a small amount of each food group (with the exception of veggies where I can eat what I want). I go back in a little less than 2 months so here's hoping I make some good progress in terms of weight loss!!!
Old 09-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #19  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey, that's great! I'm glad you were able to get some help from your nutritionist!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #20  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

that's really good news - it's nice to hear about a nutritionist who really listens and who helps you figure out the right plan that works for YOU rather than just doling out the same plan to everyone.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

Oh yes.
I was wondering why am I feeling hungry constantly today and I got the answer. I had oatmeal for break fast. had cottage cheese, yogurt, vege, rice and lentils for lunch. Felt hungry again so had snack of turkey meat balls and yogurt. one more snack of peanut chikki. This never happens.
The reason is I did not have meat for lunch and no green tea after lunch. And lots of carbs.
Thank you evryone. This is one good support group.
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #22  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Soup! I think some chicken noodle soup or something broth based would help.
1. It is filling
2. Warming
3. Good for recovering
4. Usually low fat/cal (thinking of broth with veggies for example)

Edit: Sorry didn't see the second page of posts before I answered.

Last edited by josey; 09-13-2011 at 04:54 PM.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #23  

Height: 1'7.5"

I was wondering, have you had this experience previously with the foods you mentioned? The reason I ask is because whenever I tried to eat a healthy, well balanced diet, I have been RAVENOUS! I agree that your illness probably played a great part in the way in which your system has been functioning recently but is your hunger immediately after meals something new? I've repeatedly reported to my MD that I feel like I have holes in my stomach, to such an extent that I've considered the possibility that I have an ulcer (NOT the case ). Generally speaking, this has always happened to me with fruit especially and vegetables to a lesser degree. I've always been amazed to hear that these items, due to the high fiber content should keep me full. Not the case for me.
You have had such success with wt. loss that I wonder if you still find out new things about the way your system works, meaning, are you finding that there are unexpected changes/reactions to different food groups or do you think this was somewhat of an isolated and temporary incident that resulted from your illness?
I am also impressed that your nutritionist listened and offered individualized recommendations. I was so desperate that I saw one a few years ago and he did not want to hear anything about my needs, my positive coping mechanisms, the reactions I had to certain foods. He had a one size fits all diet and exercise program and completely disregarded my strengths and weaknesses.
Totally with you on the concern re. your fellow bus traveler and ....sorry. Hope you escaped a new onslaught of illness.
boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #24  
June

Yes, I think I really lucked out with the nutritionist. I think it helps that she used to be overweight and also used to have problems binging with sugar so I feel that that helps her to listen more.

puneri- I'm really glad this thread helped you to figure out what you needed to change in your plan. I really need meat too!

josey- no problem. I do actually eat a good amount of soup, yum!

boomerang- I'll answer your post in a separate post because it'll take longer.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #25  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
I was wondering, have you had this experience previously with the foods you mentioned?
YES. This has been an ongoing issue for me and one of the main reasons I don't, generally, calorie count (I'll do it for a couple of days at a time but not every day) because it makes me think about food even more and makes me even hungrier.

I've changed my plan a lot since the very beginning. When I started I realized I had a MAJOR problem with sugar and would eat it uncontrollably. I cut it out cold turkey and I quickly learned that sugar was actually making me much hungrier. That worked well for awhile but then I realized white flour was causing similar issues so I switched to whole wheat everything. I keep tweaking my plan whenever this issue arises again and it was one major reason that I went to a nutritionist in the first place (that and my weight loss was really slow, 2lbs/month, and we're hoping to TTC soon so I want to be at a healthy weight before then).

Quote:
Generally speaking, this has always happened to me with fruit especially and vegetables to a lesser degree. I've always been amazed to hear that these items, due to the high fiber content should keep me full. Not the case for me.
I think a bit thing for me is that I can't just eat fruit/bread separately. I also appear to have a limit to how many grains/fruit I can add to my meals. My nutritionist had me add in 1/4 -1/2 cup brown rice to both lunch and dinner (I can exchange it for a few other things but rice is the easiest for me). Alone it would be BAD but I eat it with black beans, lots of veggies and a serving of meat. That was another thing that I learned was that I was underestimating a serving size of meat! So I actually get to eat more of it at my meals.

A common snack for me is cottage cheese+fruit (if i use an apple I add in some cinnamon too). Eating the fruit mixed with cottage cheese seems to prevent hunger spikes for me afterwards.

Quote:
You have had such success with wt. loss that I wonder if you still find out new things about the way your system works, meaning, are you finding that there are unexpected changes/reactions to different food groups or do you think this was somewhat of an isolated and temporary incident that resulted from your illness?
No, like I said above it's been an ongoing issue and is normally a sign that something with my plan needs to change. For instance, earlier in the summer I realized that timing played a big role in my hunger. I appear to be someone who needs to eat meals closer together in order to prevent hunger. The nutritionist actually added in scheduled snacks and I have a feeling that's one thing that's finally contributing to me feeling full!

Quote:
I am also impressed that your nutritionist listened and offered individualized recommendations. I was so desperate that I saw one a few years ago and he did not want to hear anything about my needs, my positive coping mechanisms, the reactions I had to certain foods. He had a one size fits all diet and exercise program and completely disregarded my strengths and weaknesses.
Totally with you on the concern re. your fellow bus traveler and ....sorry. Hope you escaped a new onslaught of illness.
I'm really sorry that you had such a bad experience! Are there any other ones that you could go to? Maybe you could call ahead of time and ask a few questions to get a feel for the person. I have to say that mine has been invaluable. We moved abroad this year and I was really struggling to make healthy food choices because some of my go-to foods from the US were too expensive to buy here (or not available at all) so we've had to change our diet quite a bit (and I'm learning to cook a lot from scratch!!). My nutritionist was able to point me in the right direction in terms of local foods/brands.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #26  

Ms. Running, wow, you were so very generous with your answer, thank you so much!
Your details help me a lot. I've had very similar experiences and due to the fact that I've always lost wt. very fast, BY STARVING myself, followed by a similarly quick regain by binging, the things I learned about myself were ... vague to say the least. This, coupled with the fact that, knowing that I was always eating unhealthy food, I did not "trust" my system's responses to what was considered healthy food, resulted in a mish-mash of beliefs and myths that have always interfered with a permanent set of interventions I could apply securely to my weight loss and maintenance. I find that 2# a month works well for me though not unlike most people, I would probably like it to move faster while still consuming the calories and foods that nourish my body. I think your motivation (TTC) is such a worthy and exciting one and I too hope you will be pleased with your success, by then.

I am not even TRYING to include the items that trigger hunger pangs to the extent that I think I have holes in my stomach similar to an ulcer, until the end of the day. Even eaten in combination with protein/fat, they still make me hungry but I now accept that I need to include them in my diet so I will. Just needed to figure out when. Glad that you and your nutritionist were able to make it work for you.
How great that shifting meal times and adding snack times has worked so well for you. I have JUST had an epiphany about what I need to do, to side step the problems I've been having. As I said, I've completely stopped paying attention to the things I knew, from experience, about what I needed and did not trust my body and the times it functioned at its best. Coming here made some things fall into place for me and "formulaically" I believe I may have FINALLY figured it out. About time...... it only took me 40 years!

I am so very impressed with your ability to juggle a move such as this and still do what you needed to do, in order to take care of yourself and to prepare for the future. Some would probably have used this event as a license to 'stress eat'. Your suggestion about interviewing nutritionists before hauling my behind 40 min. each way to find a good but inflexible one (and I don't mean that because he had a one plan fits all approach but because he did not apply the "first do no harm" theory), is an excellent one. I will definitely do that if I find that this effort does not produce results. I went to the first one 3 times ( IN ONE WEEK, as he insisted!) so I feel like I'm still suffering from a bit of PTSD re. the experience . A bit melodramatic, I know, but what can I say...
Again, thank you so much for the time and effort you put in your response. Please believe that not a single word has been wasted. I've absorbed it all and am applying the information positively. Hope you are getting back to normal healthwise.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #27  
June

boomerang- I'm glad to hear that my experience was able to help you and give you some ideas on how to proceed. I will say, though, that I really need a good long detox period before I could even consider adding in some of my worse trigger foods. I went about 6 months without pretty much ANY sugar at all ( I can probably count on one hand the number of times I had sugar in that period). I did bake some treats with natural sweeteners but not too often. However, my sugar issues were by far the worse.

It's still not a perfect balance in that I can't keep any "good" sugar in the house (i.e. chocolate, I can ignore Nerds or something like that all day without any problems) but it's a world of difference from where I started (eating an entire bag of chocolate chips in 1-2 days ).

Definitely work on finding your trigger foods. Some certainly can be worse than others so work on those first. Like you I've lost weight in the past but this was the first time that I've lost a large amount of weight and have really stuck to it. I think 3FC is part of it because I've had encouragement to stick with it even when I wasn't losing. I also put away any expectations of quick weight loss, which has kept me going the right direction, even if it wasn't quickly!

I get the whole PTSD. There are a number of people here who have lost large amounts of weight on their own, so it's not necessarily a necessity. I'm really glad I went that route (and, only started seeing her a couple of weeks ago, really) but I think this will help me reach my goal (maybe even a bit quicker than I originally thought ).
Old 09-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #28  

Ms. R I understand COMPLETELY! Luckily for me, my trigger foods (simple carbs not including fruit), are ones that I will need to reduce to an absolute minimum (holidays only), due to reasons that go way beyond wt. at this point but have to do with health. It is not even a question of re-introducing them. I just plain need to eliminate them with those few exceptions I mentioned.
Being here may be the lynchpin for me too. I've already benefited from some information, including yours, that has made decades of struggle re. some issues, fall into place. When I look at the results that you and other members have achieved, it makes the journey IMPOSSIBLE NOT to follow.