3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Question on Exercise, Swollen Muscles and Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/241871-question-exercise-swollen-muscles-weight-loss.html)

Rana 08-28-2011 10:47 AM

Question on Exercise, Swollen Muscles and Weight Loss

I was just reading on a thread that exercise can cause you to retain water while muscles heal.

If this is happening and your weight loss has stopped, what do you do?

Is it a question of time and then weight loss will start again? Do less exercise?

I'm currently struggling because I'm on a plateau and I don't know if it's the PCOS/IR (and I should treat that), or the exercise, or TOM (PCOS makes me irregular).

I've been the same weight now for the last month. I am eating between 1600 - 1800 calories and I exercise 7-9 hours a week, Pilates and Spinning and road cycling.

My calorie breakdown is about 45% carbs (from fruits, vegetables, legumes and brown rice, usually), the rest in protein and fats (healthy, I don't eat fried food). I drink tons of water (I don't drink juice or sodas, diet or otherwise).

According to Fitday, I have on average in the last 4 weeks, a 600 calorie deficit every day.

I also take vitamins and supplements to help with the IR and whatever else the PCOS could affect.

Any help? Ideas?

JohnP 08-28-2011 11:10 AM

Are you utilizing any other methods to keep track of your progress besides the scale?

Based on your estimates you would be retaining around four lbs of water. This isn't a large amount.

Also - it is entirely possible that :

A) Fitday's formula for your caloric burn is off because your base metabolism does not match their formula

B) Your base metabolism is depressed because of your dieting.* Everyone is different in how quickly your body adjusts to the lowered calories

C) You're overestimating the number of calories you're burning while exercising.

D) You're underestimating your food intake.

* This wouldn't be more than 10-15% but it makes a difference.

twinieten 08-28-2011 02:16 PM

Maybe try shaking it up. Eat more one day, less the next, change what you're eating for a day or two and then switch back. For plateaus, that's pretty much the only thing I can think of. Just changing it up.

Are you losing inches?

I've read here that a plateau is a month or more. Usually with patience, your body will begin release weight again on it's own. It seems like stalls now and then are just typical, even if they suck.

I have heard about the water retention thing with healing muscles and I don't doubt it. However, if you've been doing the same plan for awhile, I can't see how that would cause a plateau now.

Rana 08-28-2011 05:09 PM

My recent history was this -- as recently as June, I was at 166. That was a one pound higher than the weight I had been keeping in April and May. I thought one pound isn't a big deal. But then the other pounds kept creeping up in July, to where I am now, depending on the day of week -- 168.6 - 169.6.

I have been keeping track of my measurements -- chest, waist, and hip. Those inches went up, which I associated with bloating, then they went down again (post bloat). The bloating I attributed in June/July was to less exercise, more travel. Once I started exercising, those inches (around 2 inches in total between my chest, waist and hip) went down again. I attributed that to Pilates.

I know that Fitday isn't perfect in terms of estimating my own caloric burn. But I don't really have another method, right? Unless I get all scientific and buy equipment that will measure me (or go to a doctor that will measure that), correct?

Or is there another way of measuring that?

As for food, I know that calorie counts aren't perfect, but I also use a food scale (rather than cup or tablespoon measurements) to reduce the difference in the calorie amounts.

I've been at this same weight for one month already, I think this is considered a plateau, officially....

So, the question is -- what do I do?

Reduce my calories?

Wait another two weeks?

How long do I stay here?

When do I change something up?

And if I change something up, what do I change?

puneri 08-28-2011 05:18 PM

I think you go to maintainers forum or ask ppl who have lost 50 or more. They will be able to guide you more. Keep cool, try to meditate or start deep breathing exercise. That may help. I know how you feel.

twinieten 08-28-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rana (Post 4010549)
I know that Fitday isn't perfect in terms of estimating my own caloric burn. But I don't really have another method, right? Unless I get all scientific and buy equipment that will measure me (or go to a doctor that will measure that), correct?

Or is there another way of measuring that?

I'm finding my Bodybugg to be most helpful, if you were up or spending the money. For me, it made sense to buy it. I can't seem to do anything on my own. I was using a calorie counting type of web site, and lost not a single inch, ounce or pound. I weigh and measure, too, and keep track, so there was really no good reason why it didn't work. :( I was considering Medifast, Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers or any number diet plans, and not really looking forward to the idea when I remembered Bodybugg and looked it up. I'm glad I did because I've lost 4 pounds now, in two weeks.

I was just reading about fasting and I wonder if a one day fast would help.

I don't know.... there's people who are much more knowledgeable here than me.....

If I were to change things up, since I try to stay low carb, I would maybe eat more carbs for a day or two. Or maybe I would just eat more food, in general. Like if I were trying to stick with 1700 calories a day, maybe I'd just let myself go up to 2000 or more for a day, or two. I wouldn't want to risk a gain by doing too much, or too many days.... Maybe I would try a high protein day, like no fruits, or other high carb foods, just meats, and veggies for a day or two.... That's how I'd change it up.

Today I fasted. I haven't stalled in weight loss, but I ate a lot of carbs the last couple of days, and wanted to get back on track, and hopefully push forward with a nice loss. I'm going to have a high protein dinner, and go back to normal eating tomorrow.

Good luck! From what i understand, weight loss with PCOS can be hard!

runningfromfat 08-29-2011 09:17 AM

I think the Bodybugg sounds like a good idea. I'd love to get one myself. ;)

That being said. I've BTDT. I had a plateau for almost 2 months (I think) earlier this year. I was losing inches but no weight. I just kept sticking to my plan and eventually it started coming off again SLOWLY. I'm not sure if anything specifically triggered it but it did eventually go.

The only other thing I can think of is to try a few days very low carb or calorie cycling to mix things up a bit.

Rana 08-29-2011 09:26 AM

Thanks, guys. I have thought about getting the BodyBugg, but I was concerned about nickel in the part that touches your body (I'm really allergic to nickel) and also I had read that it overestimates your calories if you're using your arms a lot... but I could be wrong about that. Does it take into consideration a PCOS person?

I also woke up thinking that maybe I needed to lower my calories. I just worry with all the exercise that it's not healthy to lower them. But if it gets the weight moving, I have to balance how I feel physically with the weight loss, I guess?

Loli 08-29-2011 09:37 AM

Have you also considered a heart rate monitor? (A good one will do a fit test on you. It's best to do the fit test first thing in the morning when you wake up - before moving around too much. This is the lowest your heart rate will be. The lower your heart rate, the more fit you are.)

Rana 08-29-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loli (Post 4011332)
Have you also considered a heart rate monitor? (A good one will do a fit test on you. It's best to do the fit test first thing in the morning when you wake up - before moving around too much. This is the lowest your heart rate will be. The lower your heart rate, the more fit you are.)

My father has a blood pressure monitor and I have used it at his house to take my HR. My heart rate is relatively low, 54-65 usually.

I do have a HRM, but I didn't really find it useful. It may be that I just don't understand what I'm supposed to get out it?

Maybe I just have a block in this area.

Loli 08-29-2011 12:32 PM

If you have a good heart rate monitor, it will track your calories you burn while working out. It is also more accurate than any cardio machine or website.

Rana 08-29-2011 01:39 PM

Thanks. I didn't realize a heart rate monitor would be more accurate for estimating burning calories. I'll try it out and see if I can get a better count for the exercise I'm doing.