Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Default Eating your child's leftovers

I have three children ages six and under, and I must admit that I find myself eating their leftovers fairly regularly. Especially hard is breakfastime - they love waffles with Mrs. Buttersworth syrup! Aggh! My favorite. Sometimes they don't eat any of their waffle, and they leave the table, while the plate of yummy waffle sits there, taunting me. I only planned on eating a bite or two - then the fork took on a life of its own and it shoved the entire waffle into my mouth.

I hate to see food go to waste, but there's really no saving a syrup-soggy waffle. I suppose my only option is to hurry and scrape it off the plate into the trash can. Does anyone else with children have hints on how to avoid this pitfall?
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #2  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Yep, I used to. Then it just became a non-negotiable thing - food left on DS's plate goes in the trash or is saved for HIM for later. No questions. Does it suck throwing food away, sure, but sorry it's just not up for discussion.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

I've never had this problem with my son as he is a disgusting eater. Eventually everything on his plate seems like it has been licked, nibbled or chewed once and spit out. I may end up having this temptation with my daughter as she gets older though.

You might try giving them breakfasts that you can eat as well. My kids love eggs, turkey sausage and whole wheat toast or oatmeal (not packaged with tons of sugar) or a bowl of Cheerios with sliced banana.

If they're just not in to that you might consider making smaller portions so there are fewer leftovers. Maybe you won't feel so bad throwing out if there's less to throw out!
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Throwing it away as fast as possible is the best strategy. If necessary, throw old coffee grounds on it. Or better yet, run it down the disposal if you have one.

You aren't the garbage can. You don't need to "save" food from being "wasted" by adding it to your hips!

How about not even making waffles soggy with syrup for the kids? Do they really need that food? Maybe if they are leaving it behind, you could take a hint... and make something else.

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 266/152/140

Height: 5 ft 9

When I'm tempted, I pour washing up liquid all over the leftovers immediately.
IsobelRose22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #6  
I think I can...

I find my kids leftovers kind of gross lol. But Waffles and syrup are yummy. Try sugar free syrup and whole grain eggo's my kids definitely can't tell the difference and it is low enough in calories that you too can eat it.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 210/195/150

Height: 5'6"

Maybe you could give the kids who are old enough a "chore" to clean away their own leftovers (and those of their younger siblings who cannot do this yet) - pack anything you tell them is salvageable into a container for the fridge, and everything else into the trash? Then you have less hands-on opportunity with the leftovers and they have a small chore to do.

I struggle with the same thing at dinner time - having them clean their own plates and put them in the dishwasher themselves helps.
gardenermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #8  
No description available.

Better in the trash than on your @##.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

one of the things I had to learn to do was to throw food away. I used to finish off all of my junk food, even if I wasn't hungry, because I somehow convinced myself that the food= money. But in reality, you're probably losing a few cents when you throw things like waffles away. Isn't your health worth a few cents?
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly315 View Post
one of the things I had to learn to do was to throw food away. I used to finish off all of my junk food, even if I wasn't hungry, because I somehow convinced myself that the food= money. But in reality, you're probably losing a few cents when you throw things like waffles away. Isn't your health worth a few cents?
If you run with this idea you could end up costing yourself more money in healthcare bills than the cost of the syrupy waffles from all the added weight you'd be putting on.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
Yes, this is my philosophy too

I grew up being part of the clean plate club so I know this is hard to do. I often remind myself that I am NOT a trash can. I have a trash can and a garbage disposal and I will use that instead! No more 'cleaning up' leftovers, food I don't particularly care for, food on it's 'last legs', etc.

I don't like to waste food either but I am not the household trash can any more
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #12  
Life is about balance

S/C/G: 283/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I had a sobering moment when my DS was young...I knew then I had a problem. He was eating his lunch and then had to go "potty". The moment he was upstairs I ate his food thinking he was done. He came back and said "mama, you ate my food." he had such a sad face. From then on, it never happens, never. I felt so bad even though it's easy enough to make more food, but the disappointment on his face nearly killed me.

Good luck, o and real quick take it to the sink and squirt dishsoap on it or spray it with cleaner.
mamakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:23 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Yeah, I have to realize that if I eat this stuff, I'm just going to have to burn if off again. It's not like it's going to a good home.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #14  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
this.

I package it all up and it goes in the fridge for him for another time. I have a ton of tiny little plastic containers! lol!

With waffles in particular, I don't give him syrup. I don't really like it myself anyway, so it was not a conscious decision not to use it on waffles, pancake, french toast, etc., it just happened. He likes it that way and it makes it much more portable to eat in the car and to pop any extra into a container or baggie for later.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 206/194/130

Height: 5'2

My son never has leftovers.

You could teach your kids to scrape off their plates in the trash when they are finished. Or immediately pour something gross on it.
RJ 1980 is offline   Reply With Quote