Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-17-2011, 06:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/240

Height: 5' 7"

Default It's the SMALL CHANGES that help

I've come to realize that I'm not going to be one of those people that goes on a diet. What I'm doing is making changes and I like it.

I started doing water aerobics in September and I love it. I go 3x a week. Every now and again I'll take a zumba class but I have bad knees.

I use to eat a sandwich for lunch everyday. Then one of my co-workers told me about Select Bread. You can find it by every bread company out there. I think mine is Arnold. I really liked the select bread it's only 100 calories so I did that for awhile.

Then I decided to skip the bread and just eat salad. Well that was fine but I realized when I got home I was starving and would eat all the junk food I could find. So I realized I needed a bigger salad. Now every day I eat a really big salad with croutons and I add a couple of sliced of lunch meat to it. Now I'm not perfect because I tend to drown it in salad dressing. That's going to be my next change.

I only drink water for lunch. I don't really drink soda but every now and then I'll have a glass.

Now for the kicker. SALT AND CHOCOLATE. This is what does me in.

I love chips and chocolate. Chocolate candy (snickers), any kind of potato chips and once I start, it's over.

My favorite cookie was chips deluxe. I haven't bought a bag of cookies since October and I don't miss them. I know I'm making progress because my husband bought a bag of Oreo's and they're still on top of the refrigerator. AND I HAVEN'T TOUCHED THEM (yet). Also on top of the fridge is a box of hostess cupcakes...........haven't touched them either Yippee !

Another change I made is I use to eat sausage biscuits for breakfast all the time.I still eat them just not as often. Now I eat Special K and I add fruit to it. I also take fruit to work and have it with my salad. One nice gadget I have is my apple slicer. I take my apple slice it and trow it in a zip lock bag and if I don't eat it all at work I eat it in the car on the way home. See, I'm getting there.

This forum is also a great place to get inspiration. I can't tell you how many stories I've read that just let me know I CAN DO THIS.
Anyway, I just wanted to write this down because I like all my small changes and I can feel the difference in my clothes. One day I hope to post pictures. Well I'm off to my water aerobics class !
2feelbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/167/140

Height: 5'2"

I think every little change helps. I am down to over-drinking followed by overeating about once every ten days, which is really helping me! I am eating small meals and snacks every 2-3-4 hours, which also helps.

I only buy NO SALT ADDED potato chips now; I do not cook with salt; if I buy a frozen diet meal I cut it in half and add frozen veggies.
MonicaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #3  
not planning - doing!

S/C/G: 175/171/135

Height: 5' 7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2feelbetter View Post
I've come to realize that I'm not going to be one of those people that goes on a diet. What I'm doing is making changes and I like it.

I started doing water aerobics in September and I love it. I go 3x a week. Every now and again I'll take a zumba class but I have bad knees.

I use to eat a sandwich for lunch everyday. Then one of my co-workers told me about Select Bread. You can find it by every bread company out there. I think mine is Arnold. I really liked the select bread it's only 100 calories so I did that for awhile.

Then I decided to skip the bread and just eat salad. Well that was fine but I realized when I got home I was starving and would eat all the junk food I could find. So I realized I needed a bigger salad. Now every day I eat a really big salad with croutons and I add a couple of sliced of lunch meat to it. Now I'm not perfect because I tend to drown it in salad dressing. That's going to be my next change.

I only drink water for lunch. I don't really drink soda but every now and then I'll have a glass.

Now for the kicker. SALT AND CHOCOLATE. This is what does me in.

I love chips and chocolate. Chocolate candy (snickers), any kind of potato chips and once I start, it's over.

My favorite cookie was chips deluxe. I haven't bought a bag of cookies since October and I don't miss them. I know I'm making progress because my husband bought a bag of Oreo's and they're still on top of the refrigerator. AND I HAVEN'T TOUCHED THEM (yet). Also on top of the fridge is a box of hostess cupcakes...........haven't touched them either Yippee !

Another change I made is I use to eat sausage biscuits for breakfast all the time.I still eat them just not as often. Now I eat Special K and I add fruit to it. I also take fruit to work and have it with my salad. One nice gadget I have is my apple slicer. I take my apple slice it and trow it in a zip lock bag and if I don't eat it all at work I eat it in the car on the way home. See, I'm getting there.

This forum is also a great place to get inspiration. I can't tell you how many stories I've read that just let me know I CAN DO THIS.
Anyway, I just wanted to write this down because I like all my small changes and I can feel the difference in my clothes. One day I hope to post pictures. Well I'm off to my water aerobics class !
That's exactly what I am doing I am making little changes that will hopefully add up to a big loss!
KimZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #4  

The othe day I was at McDonalds' and I asked them to not put tarter sauce on it and I didn't have any french fries.....next time I'm going to tell them I just want it plain....just ketchup
Old 03-19-2011, 01:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

This is a REALLY great post. A lot of beginners who have never dieted come on and post "Help! What do I do?", because the whole world of dieting is very confusing and intimidating at first. This a really good back-to-basics reminder that losing weight is reducing your calories, and that can start by small changes.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:08 AM   #6  

so i just added another small change. I eat a big salad with ham croutons and ranch dressing. So I made a change to a spray on salad dressing. 1 calorie per spray. Lets see how this helps.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #7  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

All those small changes turn into healthy habits that can last a life time. Congrats & keep up the great work!
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #8  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I've noticed that too. Small changes really help you in the long run

Over several years I started out by exercising, then eating better, then watching some of my portions to now counting calories. All helped me finally reach the point where I could lose a significant amount of weight.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #9  

that's what I want to count calories. i have the lose it app but I just can't figure out how to put in all my snacking. ans the way I eat.....SMH. EXCUSES
Old 08-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #10  
Not Giving Up

S/C/G: 147/ticker/fit

Height: 5' 0.7"

Quote:
that's what I want to count calories. i have the lose it app but I just can't figure out how to put in all my snacking. ans the way I eat.....SMH. EXCUSES
There is an app that I use called Calorie Counter. It has a large food database and also foods from restaurants as well.
Ryler832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #11  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

That's great! That's exactly how I started my weight loss journey, BABY STEPS. I've tried losing in the past, doing everything at once and I always gave up because it was just overload for me. This time I just kept making small changes and it worked very well.

First, I went running, then I gave up sweets, then I switched to whole grains, then I started lifting etc. I haven't counted calories but instead I worked on making lifestyle changes that I feel like I can keep for the rest of my life and I figure that as long as I get to a healthy BMI then I'll just let this process take me to whatever weight I settle on.

So many times with dieting you hear that you HAVE to lose 1-2lbs a week and that you HAVE to do this and that. When, really, the best diet is one you can stick to for the long haul.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryler832 View Post
There is an app that I use called Calorie Counter. It has a large food database and also foods from restaurants as well.
I use this app, and I love it! It has made calorie counting so much easier than the old "paper and pen" days.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
That's great! That's exactly how I started my weight loss journey, BABY STEPS. I've tried losing in the past, doing everything at once and I always gave up because it was just overload for me. This time I just kept making small changes and it worked very well.

First, I went running, then I gave up sweets, then I switched to whole grains, then I started lifting etc. I haven't counted calories but instead I worked on making lifestyle changes that I feel like I can keep for the rest of my life and I figure that as long as I get to a healthy BMI then I'll just let this process take me to whatever weight I settle on.

So many times with dieting you hear that you HAVE to lose 1-2lbs a week and that you HAVE to do this and that. When, really, the best diet is one you can stick to for the long haul.

That was so well put I love it and from looking at your ticker it's definitely paying off.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:25 AM   #14  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
That was so well put I love it and from looking at your ticker it's definitely paying off.
Thanks! It looks like you're also making good headway, keep up the good work!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote