What's your confession?

• I have a confession to make.

Because I'm an extreme yo-yo dieter (this is my 8th time losing weight) and because I'm a binge eater (former binge eater? yes - former!!) THIS TIME has been a very slow weight loss for me (which hopefully means I'll maintain forever & not gain it back THIS TIME ) and because I'm older now (48... not the spring chicken I was at 42 or even 32... or 22... gulp!) I have listed my goal weight as 140. My last "low weight" after 8 months of dieting & considerable working out was 138, and that was 6 years ago. My goal was 135 - I missed it by 3 lb before I started gaining again (a whole nother' story!!!)

Here's my confession... I really want my goal weight to be 125. But I'm terrified that I JUST.CAN'T.DO.IT. I don't think I can get down to 125. Or even 130! So I've made my goal weight 140 and just hope/pray/fingers-crossed that I can reach 140 & then maintain it. Will I be happy at 140? I hope so; after all, it's only 2 lb higher than my last low weight. But the one thing I DON'T WANT TO DO? - OBSESS! I want to get to a healthy weight, be happy, maintain it, stop the insanity.

Can I do it? oh dear goddess I hope so!

Do you have any "confessions"?
  • Ooo, I love this thread - so fun!!

Okay, here goes...one of the primary reasons I started running was based on vanity, lol. I saw the cover shot of Kate Gosselin on the cover of People magazine last September (you know the one with her looking amazing in a tiny white bikini) and I was...floored. We are roughly the same age and have the same body type so that particular photo convinced me that running was the way to go to lean out like she did. I wanted to look like THAT. Lame or what?!?

Of course, I did it for my heart health and blah, blah, blah but bottom line I wanted to rock a bikini like she did. There I said it!
  • I think it best if most of my confessions remain bottled. No one needs to hear everything.

I'll speak to yours though. This is my 4th? 5th? time losing weight. I don't remember my goal weights in the past, but they're probably about the same as now. I don't think I had a goal weight the first time, but subsequent goal weights (I think) were the number I got to that first time, 135. I'd be happier getting lower too, but I also don't know if I can do it. I don't even know if I can get back to 135. I was 24 last time I was there, running a lot, and I probably not eating that well. I don't remember the details, but there was a summer I ate bean burritos nearly every night. I was only feeding myself, and that's easier than feeding a family. I floated around 130 for most of high school and wanted to lose weight then. (I got my period when I was 10 and a half, stopped growing by 12, so high school weight isn't quite the unreasonable target for me as it is for some.)

You're far closer to your goal than I am so I can see why it would loom larger in your mind than mine. I've never again gotten close to goal. On each of my weight loss attempts, I've given up after losing 20 or 30 lb. Goal is such a distant goal that I really don't spend much time thinking about it because it's just not relevant right now.
  • I'm right there with ya! I got on the scale 1st thing this morning after my usual ritual. I have no liquids before, use the bathroom,exhale all air in my lungs (on the off chance scientists discover air really does weigh something) step on the scale,close my eyes,and have a short silent chat with myself about what number I see will make me "happy". So this morning I'm up about 2 lbs over the week end. Really?? Ok, so the Mexican food Saturday night was pretty awesome, but 2 lbs? I would love to weigh what I did all through high school and when I got married (145...which btw, I agonized over being "fat" back then!Lol) 158 seems reasonable at my age of almost 49.That's what my drivers license says,so it must be do-able. It just seems so far away!
  • You see, I'm the opposite: My goal weight is 140, but more than once I've thought, "I would probably be okay at 150." And I'm only 5' 3! I'm just less ambitious in my 40's than I was in my 20s & 30s.
  • Here's a confession, totally blushing
    Yesterday I saw one of my neighbors mowing HIS lawn without a shirt. This guy is GORGEOUS. He had arms and abs like a marble statue. You know what I wanted to do? Go up to him and ask him to TRAIN me I want to look like HIM. I know it will never happen, but man to be that cut would be awesome....he was all tanned and sweaty ((dreaming)). LOL don't you dare tell anyone!
  • Quote: Here's a confession, totally blushing
    Yesterday I saw one of my neighbors mowing HIS lawn without a shirt. This guy is GORGEOUS. He had arms and abs like a marble statue. You know what I wanted to do? Go up to him and ask him to TRAIN me I want to look like HIM. I know it will never happen, but man to be that cut would be awesome....he was all tanned and sweaty ((dreaming)). LOL don't you dare tell anyone!
    That's a confession? I'm glad I didn't go into what I might like to do with a gorgeous, sweaty neighbor....
  • I went home to PA and NY this summer for my wedding and a small vacation... well, even though my now-husband lost a lot of weight two years ago, and has not lost more (and has even gained a little back), everyone we saw on our vacation said to him, "you look GREAT! where are you going? you're disappearing!" I am obviously happy for him, he looks amazing and he deserves the compliments. But then I am there right next to him, weighing the most I have ever weighed in my life, and instead of people lying to my face about how I look (whcih I appreciate... hate empty compliments), they just decline to say anything at all. Which is ok, but darn, do I feel like crap standing next to my new fabulous-looking hubby!
    So, my confession?? Lose some weight by Christmas so that I'LL be the one getting the compliments this time around! IS that selfish?
  • zoodoo :blush: I'm not that kind of girl....heehee It took a lot of restraint though not to go ask what his regime is. My kids and DH were home and I have been known to walk up to strangers and ask out of the blue questions. I stared at this guy all the time he was doing his yard work and I was thinking he's HOT, but mostly I was just thinking how can I get those abs and guns. He was cut. I should've took a picture Could you imagine if my husband would have found it if I did?
  • ichthy it's not selfish. I think my hubby is in the same boat right now. it's not that I get compliments b/c I don't but he's seeing that I'm losing and he doesn't like it. not b/c I'm losing but that he's not. you're happy for hubby I'm sure, why not make it a goal, that's not selfish. this could be a journey you both go on, right?
  • When I reach my goal of 160 I want to have lipo and breast implants. Can I afford it probably not but I may just go see a plastic surgeon just to see what it would cost.
    I 'might' drop my goal down 10 lbs IF I find I can maintain my current goal of 160 for three or four months.
    I would like to become more defined, I am considering using a protein supplement to help define muscles.
  • Quote: zoodoo :blush: I'm not that kind of girl....heehee It took a lot of restraint though not to go ask what his regime is. My kids and DH were home and I have been known to walk up to strangers and ask out of the blue questions. I stared at this guy all the time he was doing his yard work and I was thinking he's HOT, but mostly I was just thinking how can I get those abs and guns. He was cut. I should've took a picture Could you imagine if my husband would have found it if I did?
    LOL, your neighbor and my neighbor must be best friends because mine is 30 yo and ripped beyond belief too. Sometimes he mows our grass if our mower isn't working. Anyway, the first time I saw him without a shirt on (when he was mowing) I was like, 'someone's been hiding how good he looks.' I actually did summon the courage to ask him (after he was done mowing, of course, lol) what the heck he did to get such a great-looking midsection. He chuckled at that and then we wound up having like a half-hour conversation about how crunches don't work and how it's mostly about diet, etc. I love my DH (goes without saying) but like I always say, 'I may be married but I'm not blind'. But on a serious side, he's such a nice guy, he's like a little brother to me. He asks me advice on women and always smiles or waves when he sees me with the kids around. Just an all-around great guy.