Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #61  

Wow, Shells! Speaking of new avatars, yours is great too! And yes, my dear, I would call you skinny!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #62  

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Funny we're talking about breakfast, as I was just discussing it with my husband this morning too.

A way to get around the sugar thing with yogurts, is to blend it up yourself. Buy plain greek yogurt (or better, make yogurt yourself for half the cost - even organic). Add a few frozen or defrosted berries (blueberries are very low glycemic, btw) and blend it up in a blender and voila - a yogurt smoothie. I've been eating that for breakfast a lot with my older son. I use 1 cup of yogurt to about 1/2 a cup of fruit. I defrost the fruit int he microwave because I don't want a super cold smoothie.

I've also done (and still do about twice a week) atkins shakes. Like Mamakat, I NEED my breakfast to be sweet. My stomach simply cannot handle eggs and meat and cheese as a first meal unless that meal is much later for a brunch.

But that gets me to the discussion I was having with my husband this morning. Whenever I have a yogurt smoothie or an atkins shake, I get intestinal cramps about 30 -45 minutes after eating it. And then those cramps last for about an hour. It's consistently like that.

Back history - as an infant I projectile vomited formula, so, starting at around 3 months they took me off milk - yep.. I grew on juice (cripes, my mom was so not smart on that one). AND... I didn't like any dairy products as a kid - except ice cream. Not cheese (though grilled cheese sandwich using a single Kraft slice was ok), no yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, milk, chocolate milk even, or anything that TASTED like milk.

Over teh years as an adult, I have developed a taste for cheese, but if anything tastes milky, I don't like it. But... I'm still having some issue. I don't think it's lactose issues as yogurt and whey don't have lactose. I think it might be a milk protein that gives me problems? But then... I only have these problems it seems, in the morning - as a first meal. I should test the smoothie thing out at some other time of the day.

Problem is, then what do I eat for breakfast that is sweet and not dairy based??? I guess my apple and peanut butter lunch can move to breakfast and the smoothie to lunch to test it out.

Anyway... it stinks to have issues with dairy!
I am curious to know if you have the same problem at lunch as you do breakfast. Personally, I cannot eat yogurt or fruit for breakfast and don't feel well doing it. I don't know how to explain it, I am not nauseous or crampy, just don't feel well. I prefer savory foods over sweet most of the time, but especially at breakfast.
The reason I am responding to your post is because I wanted to suggest digestive enzymes. A lot of the hype out right now is of probiotics, which are helpful too, but I swear by digestive enzymes. Many, many people don't have the enzymes they need to digest foods appropriately, especially milks and protiens. It isn't an intolerance or allergy per say, just a lack of the right enzymes to digest the food properly. Worth a try if you notice it happens at lunch time too.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #63  

ItsMyTurn, I think "nutty" will fit right in here!

Last edited by jomatho; 08-22-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #64  
Starting again

S/C/G: 289/ticker/128

Height: 5'4"

Welcome, It'sMyTurn!
I'm still at 249 on the dot, so I guess it wasn't a fluke after all! I know how you feel about typing 188, berry. I feel like I just got used to typing 25- instead of 26- and now I have to get used to 24-?! What a funny problem to have!
We're having sweet potato fries with dinner tonight. I never thought I could eat a sweet potato without mashing it and adding obscene amounts of butter and brown sugar. But with just a little bit of evoo, a dash of salt and some fresh ground pepper and I'm in heaven! I use just a tiny bit of ketchup to dip. Even the kids love them, although DD gets hers without the salt and ketchup.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #65  
~Star~

S/C/G: 236.4/~ticker~/150

Height: 5'6"

jomatho - Thank you so much!!!! I appreciate the welcome

shishkeberry - Thank you so very much for the welcome! I am so glad that is the problem you are having Having to get used to typing lower and not higher is an awesome problem to have!!! Enjoy the sweet potato fries!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:03 PM   #66  
Super Single Mom

S/C/G: HW/SW 275/ CW 266.2 /GW 160

Height: 5'7"

ItsMyTurn: Welcome!!!! We are so glad you're here! Don't worry bout being nutty, we're all our own versions of nutty here!

Jo: Very interesting about the enzymes.

Shish: I love SP fries too!!! So good!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #67  
~Star~

S/C/G: 236.4/~ticker~/150

Height: 5'6"

Vixsin - Thank you so much for the welcome!!! I sure do appreciate it
Old 08-22-2011, 03:21 PM   #68  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Welcome ItsMyTurn! We are all a bit nutty here
Old 08-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #69  
Fat to Fab and Fit

I was thinking... Remember when I was going totally insane with my MIL? Guess what, my brother-in-law started dating and my MIL has put her fangs on the new DIL

I kinda feel sorry for her, because she does not know how my MIL is....BUT I am LOVING my freedom. -- I think I can even shed some weight now.

Husband took some pictures with his new car, and I can definitely tell I have lost some of my tummy...made me so happy
Old 08-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #70  
Fat to Fab and Fit

Sorry about these multiple posts.... My husband did something really nice. I was a bit peeved about the new car.

He went to his jeweler and bought me Chamilia charm bracelet. He bought 4 charms; one for each 5 pounds I have lost. -- At my heaviest I was 175, but I had stopped weighing myself. -- He said he will buy one charm for each 5 pounds I lose, and after I hit 150 pounds, he will get 2 for each 5 pounds I shed.

I thought he was soooo sweet!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #71  
Starting again

S/C/G: 289/ticker/128

Sum, you've got yourself a decoy DIL! Congrats! I frequent a forum for people with severe IL and family problems and that's what they call it when your MIL has someone new to torment. I love that place. They're very good at helping people find their spines when dealing with toxic people. It's also fun to read other people's horror stories. It's the Dealing With the IL's and FOO board on babycenter.com. It's a cool forum but they don't tolerate nonsense. Very much a tough love board.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #72  
Fat to Fab and Fit

Shish -- That is a funny way of putting it! Thanks for the smile! My MIL is one of a kind; I could write a whole book.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #73  
Life is about balance

S/C/G: 283/ticker/140

Itsmyturn glad to have you.

sum did DH think of that on his own? I would so glow with happiness if my DH would celebrate my loss like that...as it is I'm not running around cheering that I'm down 45lbs as of today. He doesn't seemed pleased when I do that

shells congrats on the goal met, that's cool.

I could only do 30 mins today, I'm exhausted. I got some clothes shopping done for the kids even picked up two pair of size 18 pants for myself. 18? Last time I was below that I was in maternity pants It's weird, but I'm loving it.

I hope you all have a great evening. I need to shower then crash for a bit. I'm zonked.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZackery View Post
Mamakat- I remember getting teased years ago because Hurricane Danielle hit the Carolinas on my birthday. It was somewhat amusing.

I don't usually worry too much about the Canes. I've been in florida for over 20 years and it's a part of life. The only storm that ever scared me was the Storm of the Century in March of 93. I was 8 and the tornados were chillin in our back yard. It was quite scary to go to bed during a regular thunderstorm and wake hours later to the walls and ceiling separating from one another.

Diana- We have a pretty good supply of water and some non perishables but we also have two generators and we live in a national forest on a lake so water and bathing is no issue. i usually keep that stuff around because when our area loses power due to a major storm....we are the ones waiting for weeks since we are at the end of the lines for that company.
DZackery

I am guessing you are in the Ocala National Forest area? I live In West Central Florida. Brooksville, Fl in Hernando County.

Larry,
Old 08-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellsbrood View Post
Hi gals! Checking in quickly, since I have class today.

Also, I had to tell y'all that I met my other goal! I wanted to be down to 171 by Sept 1st which is my 1 year healthy lifestyle anniversary. That would put me at 90lbs lost and I reached that this last weekend! Of course, I only have 10 more to lose and then I can say I've lost 100lbs, so I think I'm going to go ahead and go for that. Once, I get there, I'll probably go into maintenance. I'm starting to get the "Oh, wow, you're getting skinny. You're not going to lose anymore...RIGHT??" comments. I still can't apply the word "skinny" to me. Me?? Skinny??

Of course, this morning the scale was up a random 2lbs, but I'm still claiming this weekend's 170.
Shells Way to go!! Congratulations!!

Larry,
Closed Thread