Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-20-2011, 12:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/?/132

Height: 5'6"

Default UGH. Demotivated~!!!

So, the scale has been stuck for a few months. Gaining and losing the same 5-8 pounds over and over again.

I've been pretty faithfully going to the gym, feeling good about that... my diet has been pretty crappy. I have come to terms with the fact that even if my calorie count is 1500-1800 and my burn is 2800 - if those 1800 calories are coming from 1 large fast-food binge mid-day, and eating nothing else - you do not lose weight. It would appear that it is not only calories in/calories out and I really need to learn to clean up my diet and plan it. I can't just count the calories and go on my way....

Last night, I decided to tape measure and see if I'm making progress... NOPE. Actually gained a few inches. Then I took some progress photographs of myself in my birthday suit. (After all, the ultimate goal *is* to look good naked!!)... I cried a bit. I don't look like the firmly plump woman I was when I started this journey. I look like a wobbly, deflated fatty with misshapen boobs and bulges in awkward places. Devastating.

I just put new videos on my tablet to bring to the gym to bust out some really long, good cardio sessions and I made some playlists for some pumped up music to lift weights - see if I can add some muscle toning to my misshapen self... After the gym rush is up tonight, I'll hit the gym... but still... its SO DISHEARTENING.

Last edited by GonnaTurnHeads; 08-20-2011 at 12:49 AM. Reason: clarity
GonnaTurnHeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:54 AM   #2  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaTurnHeads View Post
I've been pretty faithfully going to the gym, feeling good about that... my diet has been pretty crappy. I have come to terms with the fact that even if my calorie count is 1500-1800 and my burn is 2800 - if those 1800 calories are coming from 1 large fast-food binge mid-day, and eating nothing else - you do not lose weight.
You answered your own question. You need to change your diet. Breakfast is a huge deal; it kick starts your metabolism. I used to neglect it and it wasn't until I ate something, whether it be a fruit even, that my weight started to change. Eat several times a day in smaller portions. Or incorporate different, healthier foods in. Drink more water.

You seem to be doing AMAZING with working out. Congrats on that. You've lost a lot of weight to start of with. Just try some different fuel for your body.

You can do this. Don't get disheartened.
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #3  
Every pound is a victory

S/C/G: 263/147/?

Height: 5' 6"

GonnaTurnHeads, just keep it up, sister. I understand about the deflated thing. While I'm extremely proud of the 60 lbs I originally lost, which is now at 39 lbs down from my HW after having my baby four months ago, I still have a lot of pockets of loose skin--at the tops of my arms, mommy apron, thighs, and even in my pretty darned toned calves. I exercise 6 days a week, and I've recently started adding even more weight training. Remember, this is a process! No one is perfect, and the fact is, you or I may never be even close to our own ideals of perfect. But I'll tell you one thing my dear--our bodies, our hearts, our other organs--they're all SO much healthier without the excess 40 lbs. You have done so well thus far, and it sounds like you're an exercise rock star! Focus on what you HAVE changed and improved rather than what you don't like. And as far as eating, different things work for different people. I feel better when I eat fresh and healthy, but that's me. I do think calories in/calories out is the bottom line, but saturated fat and nutritionally deficient carbohydrates make a difference for most of us. Your insides matter just as much, and honestly, quite a bit more than your outsides. Just mix up your workouts and work on the fast food, and you'll be back on track in no time!!
rainydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #4  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

back to the original question, yeah, it is kind of sucky to start sagging. But I think it's still better than carrying all the extra weight, and I'm hoping that eventually, the extra activity that my slimmer, fitter body will be capable of will help, at least a little.

So no real advice, just some empathy.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 208/131/120

I can certainly feel OP's pain. Now that I have lost the weight, I just feel "lumpier" and "saggier." I'm quite disgusted, generally speaking.

I have been battling weight all my life. Started getting pudgy in 1st grade, graduated at around 180, and weighed 208 at 30. I started on a fairly low-cal diet in 2001 and lost 84 pounds (no exercise to speak of). My metabolism was damaged and I was left with a less than perfect figure even though I weighed a fairly respectable 124 pounds.

I have begun to focus on weight training more so I hope I will see results. It makes me so mad (at myself) when I see women (or men) who are much heavier than I am but they don't have saggy arms!
spykesfaythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:02 AM   #6  
it's always something

This thread went way off topic and turned into a separate conversation - or heated discussion- between several members on something unrelated to the OP's question. I've cleaned the thread up and hope the OP will get the support she needs now.

Thanks
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:32 AM   #7  

Thanks everyone for you kind advise... I'm not sure what kind of craziness happened on the thread or what all the drama is about because I haven't been able to check the thread until now...

That being said, I've worked out some clean eating standards, pre-prepared some meals AND I'm having my bf drive to work so I'll be less tempted to swing through the drive through for a once-a-day meal on the way to work. The accountability really helps.

Just got back from the gym, ate some rice and shrimp... Feeling pretty good.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 150/110/105

Height: 5'0

To the OP: My two cents....CALORIE DEFICIT. It doesn't matter when you eat, or even perhaps WHAT you eat, so much as you are in a caloric deficit. You WILL lose weight. Exercise will help with your fitness, but it won't make the dent in your goals the way that your diet will. And this is coming from someone who exercises A LOT. Trust me, I know how hard it is to cut calories. I get hungry. And that's normal. When you want something enough, you will do the hard thing.

Take care, and good luck!!!

To the OP: Sounds like you are already back on the wagon. You rock! Good luck!!!
SunnyJee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyJee View Post
When you want something enough, you will do the hard thing.
I absolutely love that saying...
Old 08-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #10  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Height: 5'8

I'm sorry you are frustrated. I have some minor woes in weight loss too.

I think the Golden Point to all of this is simple though!

LIFE

I choose to live!

If you are eating healthy foods and are exercising reguarly then you are winning and living and making your life healthy and that to me is more important than how I look.

Best Wishes ...this is just a mental hiccup!
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote