Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-11-2011, 12:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/198/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Eating five times per day and still hungry! Help!

Okay, so I started a new fitness program (Insanity), and I've been following their diet plan. It tells you to eat five times per day, and they tell you to eat A LOT! But I'm still hungry!!! Is this just my metabolism working? And if so does that mean I should eat something small? Or should I just tell my body to be quiet, and drink a glass of water?
dietsareevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:18 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I'm familiar with the Insanity plan; haven't followed the meal plan exactly but it seemed well rounded, I remember they had something to calculate the proper calories needed for your height and weight while doing the workouts, so make sure you are eating enough. Is this your first try having 5 meals? Maybe you'd feel better with 3 regular meals and 1 snack? Plus those workouts are pretty intense, maybe your body just needs time to adjust to the harder cardio.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 206/194/130

Height: 5'2

How much exercise does this program entail, and how much are you eating calorie wise? You say you are eating fairly large meals 5x a day?

For me personally exercise makes me FAMISHED, so I can only work out moderately, and right before bed or I'll eat everything in sight. But it could be that you are not getting enough food too.
RJ 1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:34 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 205/198/140

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for answering so soon! I just recalculated my calories for the mini meals and apparently I underestimated the calories by quite a bit. I think you're both right- my body needs more time to adjust to this new plan AND exercise makes me hungry! This makes no sense! Oh well... on that note... Imma go eat something!
dietsareevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/155

Height: 5'3"

Also, you lose a lot of water by sweating while doing intense exercise. Are you drinking enough? I found that when I first started my lifestyle change in January I had to drink water like no one's business to let my body adjust to eating less. I would have a big glass or bottle with each meal and then at least 1 liter of flavored seltzer in between each meal (or snack) just to keep my hunger at bay!
Michi702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:25 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I find eating fewer times during a more narrow window of time during the day helps curb hunger. Eating 5 or so mini-meals of 200-300 calories personally makes me more hungry, as I'm never satisfied or full from the meals/snacks I consume. Rather, waiting until 12 or 1 PM to eat a very full, large lunch (500-600 calories) and then dinner at 7 PM (600-800) keeps me very satisfied. This is called Intermittent Fasting and just means you intake your normal calories during a smaller window of time. There are lots on this board who practice IF.

A diet full of protein and fiber is critical. Carbs don't fill me up Also, coffee or a cup of tea (with a bit of milk and sugar) also keeps me satisfied during my non-eating window.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 206/194/130

Height: 5'2

I agree with indiblue. It depends on the individual, but I too don't like eating mini meals... I like -and need- to feel FULL. Instead of 5-6 small meals I eat 2-3 larger meals with only a couple, if any, snacks.

Play around and see what works for YOU, b/c that's what it comes down to. No matter how great a diet and exercise plan sounds, if you are hungry all the time it probably won't work out.
RJ 1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:58 AM   #8  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

There is no need to eat 5 times a day regardless of what their diet plan is telling you.

Calories matter. Meal timing does not.

Regarding exercise my opinion is that if you have limited time you're better off lifting weights. If you have the time to lift weights and do cardio than do both.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:05 AM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP
There is no need to eat 5 times a day regardless of what their diet plan is telling you.
What does "following a plan" mean to you, JohnP? If the poster is following a specific program, it only makes sense to do what the program entails. Otherwise, it's not a plan at all, it's just a random idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP
Calories matter. Meal timing does not.
Again, it depends on the plan. On a program like Medifast, for example, one goes no less than 2 hours and no more than 3 hours between meals. The reason has to do with blood sugar levels. Eating 6 meals in 6 hours is really different physiologically than eating 6 meals in 12-18 hours.

To the OP: I'm glad you figured out that your calories were too low. That should make a big difference.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:08 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Insanity is a rather drastic plan in terms of the fitness requirements - the calorie requirements are lowish (ie. for fat loss) but not unreasonable.

You need to look at this realistically - in order to get to 200lbs, you were eating far more than what Insanity limits you too (which is around 1500-1900 depending on what your calculations were), so naturally, you WILL be hungry when losing weight. Mild-average hunger is 100% normal when doing a calorie deficit especially when combined with a fitness program.

Insanity WILL work if you stick to it, good luck, but this hunger is normal and you must "embrace the suck", hehe If you are feeling full when you do Insanity on a calorie deficit, then you are not doing it right. At least in the first little while.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #11  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Starting a new workout routine always makes me HUNGRY. It goes away, though.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote