3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Not sure where to turn next (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/239935-not-sure-where-turn-next.html)

seabiscuit 08-03-2011 09:56 PM

Not sure where to turn next

Hi...

I am feeling frustrated because I have gained about 8 lbs. I want to lose this weight. I just sometimes give in and overeat, I know for sure I have some issues with eating, I have been known to binge even though I am getting better at that. I also definitely cope with stress with eating.

Sooo, I don't know if I should try Jenny Craig again or meet with a nutritional counselor. There is a nutritional counselor at the Y and I am thinking of meeting with her, I just don't know a whole lot about what she does and I wonder how successful she'll be with me. I have met with dietitians before and that has helped temporarily. My concerns about JC are the expense, their "maintenance," and whether or not I'll gain the weight back.

I'm just not sure where to turn next for weight loss but I don't want to stay stuck in this cycle.

All replies welcomed.

wagfam 08-03-2011 10:06 PM

I think that any help you can get would be good. If you are really willing to take the next step I say go for it. I am doing Weight Watchers and have a blog and found that that really helps. I pray that you find what you are looking for.

toastedsmoke 08-03-2011 10:10 PM

It doesn't hurt to talk to a nutrition counselor. Eating right, making good decisions is a habit and if you need help and support to give you a boost (whether that's the counselor or Jenny Craig), there's nothing wrong with that.

I've been thinking a lot recently about the gap between knowing what you should do and actually doing it. I don't think motivation is enough. I have looked at a piece of cake, known it was off-plan, known it would affect my weight, and yet still consciously eaten it. So I'm beginning to think it's a discipline thing I need to learn. And that discipline thing will be a good life lesson for me. I can't have everything I want, it's ok to say no to yourself and develop some impulse control. When I was a child, I had people to tell me when to stop but now I need to learn to be strong enough to be firm with myself and say no to things that aren't good for me. I guess to differing extent sthat's what we're all working on.

Either way, gaining 8lbs is nothing but a minor setback. From your stats, you've already lost that several times over. If you think you need help, get it. You're worth it!

lin43 08-04-2011 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toastedsmoke (Post 3972314)
It doesn't hurt to talk to a nutrition counselor. Eating right, making good decisions is a habit and if you need help and support to give you a boost (whether that's the counselor or Jenny Craig), there's nothing wrong with that.

I've been thinking a lot recently about the gap between knowing what you should do and actually doing it. I don't think motivation is enough. I have looked at a piece of cake, known it was off-plan, known it would affect my weight, and yet still consciously eaten it. So I'm beginning to think it's a discipline thing I need to learn. And that discipline thing will be a good life lesson for me. I can't have everything I want, it's ok to say no to yourself and develop some impulse control. When I was a child, I had people to tell me when to stop but now I need to learn to be strong enough to be firm with myself and say no to things that aren't good for me. I guess to differing extent sthat's what we're all working on.

Either way, gaining 8lbs is nothing but a minor setback. From your stats, you've already lost that several times over. If you think you need help, get it. You're worth it!

Very well said!

To the OP, my advice is to choose one (whichever one) before you gain another pound. Believe me, I know what it feels like to seem out of control, but it's an illusion: You actually are in control. Don't think that you have to keep gaining weight. That's how I've felt so many times when I've regained the weight that I took so long and worked so hard to get off. You can put a stop to it.

envelope 08-04-2011 08:27 AM

Hi Seabiscuit!

I know it is discouraging at times. You can do this though. This quote from your signature is so true.

"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Oliver Goldsmith

I think you should meet with the nutritional counselor. You just need to find what works for you, and she may be able to help you with that. You can discuss what works for you, what did not etc.

I have discovered that what works for me is Calorie Counting, I have come to the realisation that I will do some form of CCing for the rest of my life. The reason I will need to continue CCing after I hit maintance is that when I do not CC I over eat, and when I CC I make better, healthier choices and am completely satisfied within my calorie range. I figured out a range that I can eat with in for the rest of my life and that is what I do. Sure, once I hit goal I may not eat with in that range every single day, but I will at least 98% of the time. See when I calorie count, and exercise I naturally make better choices for myself. I have gotten so used to CCing, and thanks to the computer and my droid I can do it electronically, efficiently.

seabiscuit 08-06-2011 02:52 AM

Well, I decided...

Well, after talking with my doctor, my decision is to re-start WW. I am going to meetings starting today! I used to go to meetings years ago. I am looking forward to it and hope it works for me, I know it will if I work the program. I think this makes the most sense for me right now.

Thanks for all of your support and I will be checking out the WW forums :)

dragonwoman64 08-06-2011 01:45 PM

don't know if you'll see this. I've done WW and JC. Years ago for both, and I think WW has changed quite a bit (don't know the ins and outs of that). I think WW for me was a good way to learn nutritional balance, how much of what to eat: veggies, carbs, proteins, fats, etc.

my favorite part of JC was meeting with a nutritional counselor, one on one, every week. that helped me to focus and come up with strategies for problems I encountered.

truth be said, I gained back the weight I lost at WW, but kept off a little of the JC before I buckled down and did it on my own (basically following what I learned from both programs and getting into exercise, including the gym and a personal trainer for a while).

I'd totally agree with the post about the gap. I think for me it's been a mixture of applying that kind of maturity, of choosing what I know will be good for me weight loss wise, over the instant gratification. I still struggle with that. I've done a lot of emotional eating and have come a long way dealing with that.

good luck!