Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #1  
is chubby

Default Should I be pleased or dissapointed?

I only lost 400gr the last month while I lost steadily 1kgr in the 7months before that.

Thing is I went to my parent's house for two weeks and stopped calorie counting there because my mother cooks with a lot of oil and things I can't calculate easily.

I didn't stop excersizing not even for a day and I had the faint hope that I would "instinctively" eat 1700cals like before.

It obviously did not work.

I am glad I did not gain weight, but I can't say I wasn't hoping for more than 400 gr Will my body never learn to eat properly?

This is kind of a sad realisation.
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #2  

If it were me, I would be thrilled not to have gained any weight on vacation, especially if I wasn't really counting calories. Most people---even people who are "naturally" thin---tend to gain a bit on vacation. I think you did well.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #3  
made my dad a promise

S/C/G: 302/Ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Not gaining while not counting is a huge win - it means you have a chance at maintaining long term without having to count every calorie.

That said, I feel your pain - I went on a 10 day vacation last month and decided to try not counting, not restricting, but trying to be sensible. Same thing - no gain, but no loss. And after 6 months of steady losing, the 10 days without a loss stunk big time. But it has strenghthened my resolve to not have that happen again (until the next trip/holidays, etc. - and this time I'll be ready for it, and probably more careful).
ilbnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #4  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin43 View Post
If it were me, I would be thrilled not to have gained any weight on vacation, especially if I wasn't really counting calories. Most people---even people who are "naturally" thin---tend to gain a bit on vacation. I think you did well.
So true. I went away for three days last month, came back 3-4 pounds heavier!
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've worked really hard at losing weight for most of my life, and I mostly got fatter, just because losing weight IS hard, and I was able to undo a month's work in two or three days. Which meant that even if I was strictly on plan 90% of the time, I still wasn't necessarily even just breaking even, because gaining weight is about 100 times easier for me than losing weight.

I used to be really mad and sad about it, but I've finally accepted that it's just my personal truth. Sure some people are "luckier" than I am, but a lot of people have it worse.

I've also learned that focusing on my successes makes the job a lot easier than dwelling on disaapointments. So focus on the positive, but learn from the experience.

There are a lot of things in life that are not instinctive. A lot of people can't do math in their head. A lot of people need shopping lists, schedules day planners and and todo lists to stay focused and get things done.

I may have to always use a food journal, but that's not any more tragic than using my day planner when I was working to keep track of appointments. I knew people who never used a day planner, and kept track of all appointments in their head - more power to them - but that's definitely not me. Even if I write a shopping list of five or six items, if I forget the list, I'm likely to forget one of the items.

It doesn't have to be tragic or even sad, we all use tools to get things done, and all our toolboxes are different. You use what you need, and it's not really a good thing or a bad thing, it's just the way it is.

Maybe you will at some point be able to rely on instinct, but is it really so horrible if you have to keep track. Is it really that much more work than writing down business appointments or a shopping list?
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 117/88/77 (Kgs)

Height: 5'8''

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
and I was able to undo a month's work in two or three days. Which meant that even if I was strictly on plan 90% of the time, I still wasn't necessarily even just breaking even, because gaining weight is about 100 times easier for me than losing weight.

I used to be really mad and sad about it, but I've finally accepted that it's just my personal truth. Sure some people are "luckier" than I am, but a lot of people have it worse.

I've also learned that focusing on my successes makes the job a lot easier than dwelling on disaapointments. So focus on the positive, but learn from the experience.

There are a lot of things in life that are not instinctive. A lot of people can't do math in their head. A lot of people need shopping lists, schedules day planners and and todo lists to stay focused and get things done.

I may have to always use a food journal, but that's not any more tragic than using my day planner when I was working to keep track of appointments. I knew people who never used a day planner, and kept track of all appointments in their head - more power to them - but that's definitely not me. Even if I write a shopping list of five or six items, if I forget the list, I'm likely to forget one of the items.

It doesn't have to be tragic or even sad, we all use tools to get things done, and all our toolboxes are different. You use what you need, and it's not really a good thing or a bad thing, it's just the way it is.

Maybe you will at some point be able to rely on instinct, but is it really so horrible if you have to keep track. Is it really that much more work than writing down business appointments or a shopping list?
Sooo true! I've (very recently) come to accept that in order to stay healthy, I'll always be a conscious eater. Maybe not counting calories to the gram (it's impossible with the local dishes in my area), but at least mentally weigh the pros and cons of whatever goes in my mouth. It can be stressful and annoying, but it beats being overwieght, tired and unhealthy.
fight2winthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #7  
is chubby

Thanks so much for the replies I feel a bit better about it now.

Like Kaplods said it won't really be a tragedy if I have to calorie count for the rest of my life... just a bit of a pain in the butt

I think most of my frustration came from my lack of power to prepare my food like I wanted at my parent's. My mother is a proud cook and would not let me interfere, so I ended up eating fried things every day and also meat DAILY.

Which means I ended up eating baby portions and being hungry all day. I can't possibly express my relief when I came back home and could finally get full with veggies. I can't recognise myself anymore, I used to hate anything green.

How do you chicks handle situations where other people decide what's on the menu?
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbykins View Post
Thanks so much for the replies I feel a bit better about it now.

Like Kaplods said it won't really be a tragedy if I have to calorie count for the rest of my life... just a bit of a pain in the butt

I think most of my frustration came from my lack of power to prepare my food like I wanted at my parent's. My mother is a proud cook and would not let me interfere, so I ended up eating fried things every day and also meat DAILY.

Which means I ended up eating baby portions and being hungry all day. I can't possibly express my relief when I came back home and could finally get full with veggies. I can't recognise myself anymore, I used to hate anything green.

How do you chicks handle situations where other people decide what's on the menu?

I know what you mean. This is how I feel when I go out to eat --- I mean non-chain restaurants, where I do not really know the calorie count. Just the other day, I went out to dinner, and what I had planned to order (halibut) was no longer on the menu, and the only other entree that looked good to me was the vegetable risotto, which I'm sure is many more calories than the halibut. So, I took my fork and literally, separated half of it on the plate. That's the half I ate. When I don't have much choice in what I'm eating or don't have control of the preparation of it, I try to just eat half. Like you, sometimes that leaves me hungry (with the risotto that wasn't the case because it's so filling) and filling deprived. However, since these situations are a part of life, I'll have to get used to it.

Last edited by lin43; 08-04-2011 at 11:26 AM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote